Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:15 AM
hereticgod
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

Been running my xs since sept when they first came out, I ran about 20 packs through the stock esc but I was aware of the issues so i swapped it out for a mamba max not the pro version added my own fan and I have about 40 packs on that one never gets over 120 even on 3s. Kept the stock motor for about 30 packs then put in a 1410 3800 runs much cooler then stock never over 160 and I am running a 32t pinion on the 1410.

Oh and I should say I bought both the mamba max and the 3800 used on rc tech. I think the newer castle esc's seem to be failing more then the older ones.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:00 AM
joseb

Hey everyone! I'm new here, just read through this entire thread, what a journey lol. Anyway, I just got my XS a couple of weeks ago and wanted to chime in and say that I've run around 5 or 6 packs of 3s and the same amount of 2s through it and the ESC has been fine so far. It did randomly get "de-programmed" once, and we had to use the Castle Link to get it set up again, that was weird. 

As far as bashing goes, like most people here have mentioned, it's a blast to bash, but I have noticed that I tend to break things 90% more often with the 3s than with the 2s. The 3s speed is addictive though  

Anyway, I look forward to following this thread and upgrading the XS when the time comes. As of right now, I've replaced the stock servo with the Traxxas 2075 and the improvement was very noticeable and welcome. 
Old 04-30-2012, 06:31 AM
Thiagooo

TodayI tookasavagexs,was walkingin good...with the batteryI boughtthesedays,itis notloadedor anything.

Out of nowherestopped walking,half a minutethen walkedagain,and stoppedagain.

TheESCwill lightgreen and yellowcontinuously, whichcan be?Battery oresc?
Notyettried callingagain, I thinkI shoulddo thatprocedurereset theesc?

I tried toreset theesc, I playedfor a few secondsand stopped
Old 04-30-2012, 07:01 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gdiddy13

PROJECT XS!

Ok, I don't really have anything, but I'm looking for a project and I thought my XS might be fun. I have seen the upgraded motors, esc's etc. I have upgraded several parts. But what I haven't seen done is something like was done over on Ultimaterc, the Chimera project.

So I guess I'm looking for some ideas on what to do, to kinda make this thing a little different. I would like to be able to do a bit more of some crawling, though most would say then why buy the XS? But I'm just throwing out ideas. I really want to give this thing some more ground clearance. Does anyone know if any other Savage parts fit ?

Let me know what you think
Savage parts will not fit the XS. If you want to crawl get a crawler or maybe a Summitt.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:03 AM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: iTz Nicholas72
Here are some of the pictures from my for sale ad. Got it nice and cleaned up.
Why are you selling your XS?
Old 04-30-2012, 08:00 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Thiagooo

Today I took a savage xs, was walking in good ... with the battery I bought these days, itis not loaded or anything.

Out of nowhere stopped walking, half a minute then walked again, and stopped again.

The ESC will light green and yellow continuously, which can be? Battery or esc?
Not yet tried calling again, I think I should do that procedure reset the esc?

I tried to reset the esc, I played for a few seconds and stopped
That sounds like its thermalling (getting too hot). Does it work after it cools?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:10 PM
iTz Nicholas72

http://bit.ly/IMMzIS
Old 04-30-2012, 11:32 PM
8thScaleRoostertail

Talked to a guy at Hobbytown USA. He said the new Vapor ESCs HPI is sending out are supposed to be improved. Not sure. Still have not received mine yet. Anybody blow a replacement Vapor? I was going to get the MMP but after reading a few entries here (it smoking up too) maybe I'll keep looking. Could the stock motor be the culprit here? Hobbyking ESC is thrown around a lot. Maybe that one? Thx
Old 05-01-2012, 03:56 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Yea I hope its better than the origional esc. I was recommended the castle 1410 (sct 3800kv system) i got the motor esc combo but its on backorder everywhere so i might just run that when i get it instead of the flux system.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:32 PM
fastgreen350

I have one of the new vapor pros and it was crap straight out of the box. I applied power to it and all the lights are dim on it and wouldn't power on, I called hpi and threw a fit and am supposed to be getting a q base esc from them now. Don't know what they have going on over there just plain sad. My mmp is holding up good in there now though and this truck is freekin awesome it's a tank beat the heck out of it and it takes it all.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:56 PM
8thScaleRoostertail

Hmm too bad about the replacment esc. The XSis great and deserves so much better in the way of ESC. What is the Q-Base esc? Thx
Old 05-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Thiagooo

ORIGINAL: Foxy

TodayI tookasavagexs,was walkingin good...with the batteryI boughtthesedays,itis notloadedor anything.

That sounds like its thermalling (getting too hot). Does it work after it cools?
problem solved. It was the battery.

However playing today, the engine made ​​a noise but not running!

I opened the engine and notice that the pinion is out of place. It should be up to 5mm, near the top.

And this way:

I managed to remove the pinion, and screw the pinion. However, how do I put back in position and prevent it from moving up or down? Locking thread? Thank you.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:07 PM
fastgreen350

The q base is a hpi version of the mmp basically. Less tuning options on it though

ORIGINAL: 8thScaleRoostertail

Hmm too bad about the replacment esc. The XSis great and deserves so much better in the way of ESC. What is the Q-Base esc? Thx
Old 05-02-2012, 12:06 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: fastgreen350

The q base is a hpi version of the mmp basically. Less tuning options on it though

Hmm too bad about the replacment esc. The XS is great and deserves so much better in the way of ESC. What is the Q-Base esc? Thx
I don't believe it is a version of the MMP, I think it's an updated Mamba Max or Sidewinder Sv2. If it were an MMP it would not be having any issues whatsoever with the little flux. I have a full size savage flux (2350) which was perfectly fine pulling a truck more than double the weight on more than twice the power. If it is an MMP, it's a totally gimped one.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:45 AM
fastgreen350

Ok than if u have the 2350 than u should have a qbase esc. The qbase is from what research I have done a deprogrammed mmp in a hpi case. It is supposed to be a decent esc I thought way better than the vapor pro which is a sidewinder sv2 with a fan on it basically.

ORIGINAL: fastgreen350

I don't believe it is a version of the MMP, I think it's an updated Mamba Max or Sidewinder Sv2. If it were an MMP it would not be having any issues whatsoever with the little flux. I have a full size savage flux (2350) which was perfectly fine pulling a truck more than double the weight on more than twice the power. If it is an MMP, it's a totally gimped one.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:04 AM
t9dragon

Today I took a savage xs, was walking in good ... with the battery I bought these days, itis not loaded or anything.

Out of nowhere stopped walking, half a minute then walked again, and stopped again.

The ESC will light green and yellow continuously, which can be? Battery or esc?
Not yet tried calling again, I think I should do that procedure reset the esc?

I tried to reset the esc, I played for a few seconds and stopped

I opened the engine and notice that the pinion is out of place. It should be up to 5mm, near the top.

And this way:

I managed to remove the pinion, and screw the pinion. However, how do I put back in position and prevent it from moving up or down? Locking thread? Thank you.

Use blue loctite on the set screw on the pinion gear.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Thiagooo

OMG.I usedblue,but theallen wrenchandthatdustedcannottighten the screw,the screwisnowon the pinionbutthe pinionis outof the engine.

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

And this way:

Use blue loctite on the set screw on the pinion gear.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:08 AM
rcklingaman

Got quiet after that post. Let me see if I can go over it all as I'm not sure where you are having issues.

On the moter there is a round pin (shaft) that sticks out with flat area towards the end. The Pinion needs to be pulled up to this area where you can only see a couple milimeters of the shaft (someone better than me could give the exact amount). Position the gear so that the set screw will screw down on this flat area. Before you tighten the screw make sure you apply the blue loctice to it.

Idid have an issue with the included allen wrench not being up to the task of removing or tightning that screw and I did end up purchasing some decent tools to work on it.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:27 PM
fastgreen350

Well ok guys I finally got my xs running well. So I decided to put my 3s in and see how fast it goes. I taped my GPS to the bottom the safest place I could think of, ran it down the hwy got to top speed and then it veers off course and hits a marker post on the side of the road. I thought it was all over after I saw it cart wheeling into the ditch, I drove down to it and it was fine I mean I nailed that post and it didnt break anything!!

So back to topic my buddy was in the passenger seat and cut the gps off the bottom of the truck, and I asked him how fast it said, he laughed and said 66mph I said BS and took it and sure enough it was 66. I dont see how they are gettin 65 out of the box though, cause I stuck the factory tire back on and did it again and it only went 56mph. I was pretty happy to see it get that fast finally but it sure is a hand full without swaybars, wonder how much that will help.

I will be running again here after I get my replacement parts ,that I broke launching it off of a 5 ft skate ramp at the park in town, and I will get my buddy to vid it that way I have some proof for yall. So thus far I dont believe I have seen anyone else on here get that fast yet so keep us posted on ur top speed runs!!
Old 05-05-2012, 11:11 PM
NewBlackDak

Hi.

New to the forum, and new to the XS.  The fan on my ESC has died on my 2 week old XS while it was running today.  It didn't overheat(temps in the low 60's), so I didn't notice until it hit the lipo cutoff.  Anybody have a quick/easy solution, or a link to a replacement fan? 

Has anyone run this setup in their XS?: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBLBZ&P=ML

FYI,
I have the Traxxass shock eyelets coming, because I keep snapping the stock parts.  I also have CVD driveshafts and drive cups coming.  I've already noticed wear, and have had dogbones pop out 5-6 times.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:24 AM
fastgreen350

U can put a much more racing fan on there.  U can carefully peel the sticker off the esc then open the case.   The fan just sits in there , push it out and install the new fan.  When u do this the case won't close all the way but when u put it back into the esc mount it holds it together really good.  Just make sure u keep the esc sticker somewhere safe, that way f it does eventually go out put the stock fan in and the sticker back on so they will warranty it.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:16 AM
joseb

Did a quick search in this thread but it came back with 0 results. 

Is anyone running the XS with NIMH packs with any success? Mine will run for a few seconds and then it just stops running. Sometimes it will pick up again and run for a little while, but nothing more than 40 seconds or so. The manual says it's OK to use NiMH, but I've not had good results. 
Old 05-06-2012, 09:36 AM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: joseb

Is anyone running the XS with NIMH packs with any success? Mine will run for a few seconds and then it just stops running. Sometimes it will pick up again and run for a little while, but nothing more than 40 seconds or so. The manual says it's OK to use NiMH, but I've not had good results.
You will probably need to reset the ESC for NIMH batteries. What NIMH are you using?
Old 05-06-2012, 09:38 AM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: NewBlackDak

Hi.

New to the forum, and new to the XS. The fan on my ESC has died on my 2 week old XS while it was running today. It didn't overheat(temps in the low 60's), so I didn't notice until it hit the lipo cutoff. Anybody have a quick/easy solution, or a link to a replacement fan?

Has anyone run this setup in their XS?: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBLBZ&P=ML

FYI,
I have the Traxxass shock eyelets coming, because I keep snapping the stock parts. I also have CVD driveshafts and drive cups coming. I've already noticed wear, and have had dogbones pop out 5-6 times.

For the issue of popping out axles you can stick a small peice of foam in the drive cup and that should elimnate the issue.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:17 AM
joseb

I'm using 4600mah 6-cell Venom NiMH flat pack for now. In the Castle Link software it suggests setting the cut-off to 4 V for a 6-cell pack, is this a good setting, or do you recommend something different?

**Edit** I changed the cut-off to 4 V as per the recommendations in the software and I see no change in behavior. With a full charged 6-cell pack, I am getting just a clicking noise and no movement at all. This is what happened before, except previously it would run for a few seconds and then do this for a few seconds.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIxziNZHSlY&hd=1[/youtube]
ORIGINAL: t9dragon

ORIGINAL: joseb

You will probably need to reset the ESC for NIMH batteries. What NIMH are you using?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.