Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Dead Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:53 AM
taj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Trucks

i would like to see what mini/micro trucks that are not worth getting into.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:08 PM
gokemidoro

Default RE: Dead Trucks

Pretty much anything mini or micro Losi. I have had a few of their smaller scale cars and trucks, and the only one still holding up is the Mini Rock Crawler Pro. Haven't had any issues with that one.

The rest are allin a landfill somewhere.....

Traxxas 1/16th minis aren't all that great handling-wise, without some modifications (I've gotten my Ken Block 1/16th Rally to work well in a drift/gymkhana role, but it's not so good for rally), though the Slash and Summit models should be O.K. They are all pretty durable, andTraxxas has an excellent warranty,though.

Associated minis..... some folk have had troubles with, though my own SC18 required some mods, it's still going, and hasn't given trouble of any kind, so it's a matter of whether the model you got is a factory lemon or not, I suppose....

HPIhas one mini that everyone should stay FAAAAARRRR away from - that's the Switch. A piece of junk if ever there was one. It may be somewhat cheap, but you definitely get what you pay for, there. HPI's other offernigs are all pretty good, so the Switch is just a lemon.

Now if you want some recommendations.....

Tamiya minis are all pretty much great, though they are kits, some Tamiya models can be bought as RTR's. Those are called "XB's"or "Expert Built."

ABC hobby has some really excellent minis (on-road) that, for the price, you get a lot more in performance than other brands, though they aren't readily available everywhere.

I've heard a lot of good things about the new Atomik minis, but there aren't that many out and around to make a good judgement call on yet...

Take some time and do some research on the models you are interested in. Shouldn't depend on other's advice, not even mine, because a lot depends on how much the model is bashed, how it's bashed, whether it's abused beyond the factory warranty, etc.,... Everyone drives differently, so durability is subjective. Performance, on the other hand, all depends on how good or bad the driver is, what they want to use the car or truck for, etc.,...
If you pretty much know what you want to do, and haven't any idea what to get, put that out there, and see what others say. Just asking for what's "not worth getting into" is pretty general, and no one can make good reccs to you, unless they know what you're going to use the car or truck for.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:10 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

agree with the losi micro's I have a losi micro high roller, and that thing couldn't even get across my living room without having range issues(and my living room is SMALL think like 12 or 13X 12 or 13 feet)... There's no way in hell I'll stand in the middle of the room to drive a RC around it.

HPI's recon is another I've had issues with. Stock ESC burnt on 2nd use. Also got into one accident and the damage done to it due to ludicrous part costs I could have thrown the RC in the garbage, and bought a brand new one for less. Other hand the radio is pretty excellent I threw it in a 1/10th scale RC that I let my nephew use.

Traxxas Merv is an OK RC IF you don't mind switching parts out. I had issues with the stock knuckles the little o-clip that holds the pillowball in place wouldn't stay in. Had to but $20 a set aluminum knuckles to fix that(need 2 sets for front/rear). The stock suspension sucks ass out of the box you need firmer springs, and thicker shock oil in it or it wil drive like complete crap. Also IMO the brushless is a tad over powered for it I didn't find mine much fun till I swapped in a brushed ESC, and a 540 27t tamiya motor (needed parts off the summit or was it the rally). After all that work I'm NOW starting to enjoy it some, but for how much it costs, and how much it needs I can't recommend it to people unless they REALLY want it.
Now the summit I don't know what traxxas was smoking slapping in a brushless system, and throwing giant tires on it the thing from what I seen, and heard is almost impossible to drive. They would have done better with a 27T 540 brushed motor or maybe even a 35T

Mini I'm the happiest with

RC18b (this is not for the B2 as I've not owned one) I like mine a lot. I bought the original RC18 cause I prefered the shaft drive setup over belt, and honestly its taken way more abuse then my mini recon has, and nothings broken yet. Swapped the radio cause the rc18b only had a AM radio (the b2's come with 2.4ghz), and the only real mod I Did wasI put on an aftermarket spur gear cover so no pebbles would get stuck in it.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:49 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just picked up a tamiya tamtech frog. Havent driven it enough to say how good it is but it looks great.

I have a redcat tremor. Its brushed, but uses a 2s Li-ion. Makes it accelerate quicker than most $100 Minis. Overall I like it, but it does have a flaw. The stub axles are plastic. I am hoping redcat will offer a upgrade. If they do, then it will make it a good truck for the price.

ECX has the smash. Its basically a stretched losi mini-t chassis. Uses simillar electronics as well, but offers a better price tag. Out of the box, its stupid slow tho, as it comes with a 4 "AA" battery holder. Youd need to buy a standard 6cell nimh for it to have average speed.
But just like the mini-t, there isnt much that is likely to break. And many mini-t parts (upgrades) can fit the smash.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:47 PM
paintfumes

Stay away from The losi mini Lst, lst2, raimator or mini monster baja models. Nothing but issues. I have a Losi Mini monster baja(basically a mini lst2 with lipo and 2.4ghz tx/rx and different body) that I have had to replace everything to make it somewhat reliable. By everything I mean, Chassis(exotec single servo), suspension(aluminum everything available), electronics(castle Bl, 1/10 servo), wheels etc. I have a Mini Raminator that I bought used for my Daughter as well, she runs it bone stock on the stock nimh battery and a dynamite 2s and it she drives it very gingerly something still breaks every 3-5 packs. I can't even look at it without the shock towers breaking or the servos and diff's stripping etc..

Only reason I hang on to them is because I have a ton of spares and way to much time and money into the Mini monster to even consider trying to sell it. It has sat in the garage unused for 2.5 years now. And now that my oldest daughter has moved on to a Stampede the middle one needed something to drive to get her rc feet wet so she is learning on the Raminator.

On the other end of the spectrum my Traxxas Mini Revo Vxl with just a few key upgrades has been a great little basher for the whole family for the past 4 years. Also the Losi Micro desert trucks have been great indoor fun, just don't go brushless. I made the mistake of converting one to bl and it became fragile and too fast for in the house and too small to really be fun outside.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:26 PM
iexion

Odd size RC. 1/14 and smaller (yes minis). 1/7 and 1/9 you want to do some research on it as for tires motor/engines etc.
If you find something 1/7 or 1/9 odds are you will have a difficult time finding body shells other then stock ( onroad or offroad )

Really the only scale(s) that are still alive are 1/5 - 1/8 - 1/10 - 1/12