Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

kyosho motor in xmod?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 12:57 AM
acuraRSEX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kyosho motor in xmod?

well i bought an xmod today and incidentally it brought me to this site. all i can say is maybe i should have bought a mini-z after reading some posts on here. this is my first small r/c car and i am pretty happy with it but i want it to go MUCH MUCH faster! haha. anyways, i don't think the radio shack stage 2 engine will make a whole lot of difference, so i was wondering what engine(s) would fit in it from other cars? also, if you throw a different engine in there, do you have to change the frequency or gears? i'm new to this scene so throw me a frickin' bone here... thanks a lot!!!!
Old 12-02-2003, 01:40 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: kyosho motor in xmod?

I don't know squat about an X-Mod especially since I can't stand the Shack; however, you may want to purchase a January 2004 copy of Xtreme RC Cars. Page 134 of that issue as an article: "X-Mods Custom R/C"--top speed of 6.5 mph. The reviewer wrote that he saw an optional motor in his future.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:46 AM
acuraRSEX

r u ****in kidding me? this post has been up for like a ****in week and no one knows anything????
Old 12-09-2003, 07:03 PM
SlamtheNutta

hey chill out man and be paitent.

heres a link to tamiya, they have mini-4wd drive motors that fit in the XMODS, but nobody said anything about proformance so all i can tell you is im sure tamiya can out proform radioshack. Heres the link:
http://www.tamiya.com/english/rcmn4wd/parts/parts.htm
scroll down a little on the sight to find motors.
if it looks like it will fit in you're XMODS it probably will, in fact im almost positive that a mini-z motor will fit in you're xmods and if it doesnt you can pack it up and send it back as a long as its ot used.
can i do anything else for you acuraRSEX?
Old 12-10-2003, 07:42 AM
miniRCfan

OK I am new to this also about 2 weeks in (2 XMODS) anyway if you go to www.XMODWORLD.com they have a lot of info on a spinbrush motor that with a little modification will make your xmod screem also someone is selling a stage 10 motor for about $50.00 I don't know how good it is or if it is worth it but their is a lot of hype so who knows. I bought the stage 2 motor kit and it is a big difference from the stock but still not as fast as I want to go.[8D]

Good Luck
Old 12-10-2003, 03:34 PM
ign0rantjerk

ok ok ok... here it all is... mini z motors will fit into xmods... and the stage 10 motor they speak of is a custom made hand wound motor.. also known as NML motors... they go for about $50-$60... these motors are screamers... internal fet stacks are required for the miniz but im not sure about the xmod... www.xmodworld.com is the new smaller sister site of www.minizworld.com and both where constructed and are mod'ed by Kai...

IMO: xmods are great 1st rc cars, however, for better performance mini z's are totally where its at... to me, xmods have come off to be only a drag race type of rc, and the people that have them seem to only be concerned on how fast they can go (not saying that all the xmod owners are like this, but it tends to come off that way if you goto xmodworld.com.) mini z's are more orientated around all aspects of the car: traction, differentials, suspension, FET's, camber, toe in/out, weight, stability, etc. and a mini z owner can definately customize their car to specifically match their driving styles... and when i say this, im assuming im speaking on behalf of all rc racers out there.... "you're only as fast as how well you can drive."
Old 12-14-2003, 10:06 AM
XHorus

Yes you are right the XMOD can handle aa Mini Z motor, and no stacking is needed(except in the NML case) I run a S02 in my RSX and i have stock FET's and no turbo..see the XMOD has a V limit of about 8.4 before the ESC or the FET's smoke. The ESC also can handle up to a 2.25 mA draw...now the S02 only draws 0.766 well under the danger zone

How do i know all this little info?> Well for one i moderate over at
http://pub238.ezboard.com/bxmodrc
It's a nice little XMOD forum, also i have tested and tested...lol i Also make upgrades for these cars as does some of our other members at that site
My car (the RSX) is listed in my first post with a pic (entitled Hi all new to this forum but not RC)

Well if i can help let me know, i may not have a ton of RC experiance but i know XMODS.
Thanks
XHorus
XH MODS
Old 12-19-2003, 02:17 PM
red02zx3

Would this motor work in an XMOD?!

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXATS5&P=7

It says that it draws 0.7-1.7 amps.....its a 25 turn beast!
Old 12-26-2003, 11:54 PM
Droptopfiveo

Ok here's a question for you Mini Z guys. I'm new to the mini Z but not to RC. I won a few electric and a few gas cars now. I read that there is a new chassis out for the Mini Z and I'm looking to purchase one. Is the new MR02 model any better than the old model? I read that it's suppose to handle way better, is this true?
Old 12-27-2003, 07:40 AM
Serpentdriver

Hello Droptopfiveo,

It sounds like you drive a Mustang convertible 5.0. If you ever want to tango with a Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo RT, let me know! Anyway, back to RCs. The difference between the MR-01, and the MR-02 is the way the batteries are mounted, the MR-02 has two different chassis's, The RM and the MM. The RM chassis is adjustable, and MM chassis is fixed(set/non adjustable). The motor is mounted more towards the center, for better weight distribution and improved handling. A new ESC is included that features braking. To help protect gears from impact damage, a servo saver (like the one found in Mini-Z F1 and Overland Series) is supplied. Also, it comes with a different radio which is lighter, but I don't know if it is a better radio as far as range and efficiency. I have raced the MR-02 with my MR-01 and what it came down to is the driver, and how the cars are set up! (It really doesn't matter who won!) As far as speed, they both take the same motors. Technology obviously has a reason- improvement for better user-friendly application, and possible advantages against the old technology (whatever that may be, you be the judge). Now, it seems since you are in Arizona, you don't have the same options as I (your best friend). So, you will need to let me know what you want since I'm here in Japan and, I can get you what you want! I know this could complicate your decision, but there are hop-ups for both, the MR-01 Mini Z is going to cost a little less, but the MR-02 Mini Z seems to be a better design on the lowered center of gravity alone. Really, we have had the conversations of comparing new to old, and it comes down to preference, and cost for parts (in this case hop-ups) which are basically the same for both the MR-01 and MR-02. To answer your question, without any modifications (stock), a stock MR-02, will handle better than a stock MR-01. That same stock MR-02 could possibly handle the same, or a little better than a modified MR-01 racing conditions will dictate that. With them both modified, I think the MR-02 is going to handle better than the MR-01, simply because it was designed to.

Serpentdriverrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Old 12-27-2003, 11:35 PM
Droptopfiveo

Surpentdriver I would like to thank you for your abundance of information. It has really informed me of the two vehicles in question. Now I can sit down with a cold bear or straight drink (straight drink preferred) and make an educated decision.

Thanks again (Your boy),
Droptopfiveoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Old 01-12-2004, 01:53 AM
illusioninst

Does anyone know if I could make a miniZ bod fit on and xmod cause i found an rx-7 that I would like to use thats the same scale I just want to know if it could work or not.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:49 PM
brainiac

ORIGINAL: ign0rantjerk

IMO: xmods are great 1st rc cars, however, for better performance mini z's are totally where its at... to me, xmods have come off to be only a drag race type of rc, and the people that have them seem to only be concerned on how fast they can go (not saying that all the xmod owners are like this, but it tends to come off that way if you goto xmodworld.com.) mini z's are more orientated around all aspects of the car: traction, differentials, suspension, FET's, camber, toe in/out, weight, stability, etc. and a mini z owner can definately customize their car to specifically match their driving styles...
I can dispute most of what you claim. However, you come close to the true problem. It's not so much the car to blame as it is the owner.

Traction/Camber/Toe/Suspension/Stability: There are mods that address all of these. The suspension/steering kit handle camber and toe which in turn addresses traction, stability and suspension. There's an awd mod for upgraded traction. There are also upgrades for wheels and tires.

FET: you can upgrade this on an xmod, but it requires some common sense and a little skill with a soldering iron.

Differentials: Not as much leeway here, although each engine comes with it's own pinion gear. However, it's not a hassle to change differentials if there were upgraded ones available.

Weight: This is a huge weak point for the xmod, imo. However, I have seen a lot of carbon fibre replacements parts for the xmod. The chasis of the xmod just isn't built well enough to accomodate a lot of weight reduction. You can adjust the battery positions on the frame to adjust the weight differential to your style/liking. I've heard of people removing all the screws and gluing parts to lighten their kit.

Drag racer vs Track Racer: I've seen both sides. The awd kit is too loose for my tastes. The front wheels slip FAR too easily in order to retain cornering ability. I have tightened mine down a little bit and put as big an oversteer on the car as I can to try for some balance. But then, I know people who spend thousands to turn their REAL cars into powerhouses only to realize that all that power is useless on anything but the 1/4 mile track.

It's pretty obvious to me what the difference is between xmods and kyosho mini-z's. The entery level cost of a mini rc was lowered, pop-culture body kits supplied and a modifiable architecture to name a few. So now anyone with $50 can buy a mini r/c and see if it's something they would like.

Can the xmods compete in quality? Not really as it's more of a break-out product than it is a specialty item.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:22 PM
bigjdm88

HHHHEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!
please
i want to go really fast but i dont want to burn up my speed control
Old 01-19-2004, 01:23 PM
pinorace

i want to upgrade to a 5 or 6 cell on my xmod please let me know send replys to [email protected]
if anyone has knowllage of how to do the under car neons send that too please
Old 01-22-2004, 04:07 AM
BovineD

Thats a pretty good breakdown Serpentdriver, however the Mid Mount MR02 is adjustable as it is set to the shortest lengnth out of the bod and there are two more settings for longer bodies. Granted, there are NO bodies that use the longer settings at this time but it is available. Also it can be adjusted to accomodate MR01 bodies with a third party conversion T bar or hopefully soon, an official RM kit from Kyosho.

As for the radio, it is a matter of personal preference as they both behave the same in terms of range and reliability. I just think the MR01 Perfex is more comfortable, although if you have smaller hands the Ko Propo may feel better. Also one thing the MR02 improves on is that there is absolutely no steering glitch problems that seemed to appear on the MR01s so if you plan to go with an MR02 you will know it will track straight and true right out of the box without any steering problems.

Other then tha Serpentdriver is right on with the info.