Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

xmods vs miniz

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 12:36 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: xmods vs miniz

ok, xmods are trashy toys. mini-z's are awesome toys
Old 03-26-2005, 09:10 PM
_fastman_

"I still believe your Xmod looks good" Thanks
ORIGINAL: Tigger N. Bennie

Records are made to be broken and in my opinion, your set up appears to be nothing new or original since it appears to be more of an assembly of pre-made parts that have become more readily available to the average consumer. Please don't take my comment wrong since I still believe your Xmod looks good, is probably pretty fast, and with a proper brushless set up it may even reach speeds of 60 mph in a controlled environment.
Yes sure theres lots of parts that are available to the public but some are not say for instance my custom made motor mount that will allow me to fit any size motor that I can possibly fit under the body and then my battery holder mounts Id love to see somebody accomplish something like that. the GPM and carbon fiber parts are all fine and dandy but when you put all that stuff together and try to make it work and fit there are serious modification involved. I figured since Im gonna spend so much time modifying one car I might as well do it big.

yeah and I do like your collection and if I was in your neighborhood I would be a regular.
Tigger N. Bennie Date 3/26/2005 4:47:14 PM
fastman,
I saw your video or what appears to be your video: http://www.rcpics.net/media/MOV00959.mpg When I first ran my brushless Xray M18, I also had problems keeping the rubber tires glued on so I started using pre-mounted foams. At first, I thought something was wrong with the M18 since it keep pulling to the side (the tires were balloning and rubbing on the body). It also appeared that you created quite a stir at Micro RC Center if that was in fact you before your deactivation. Either way, good luck with your Xmods and if you believe they are really that fast, you may really want to consider the GWR event in California. Myself, I believe I would simply crash an RC car even if the car itself was capable of breaking a world speed record since my eyesight is not what it used to be, my reaction time is not what it used to be, and since I am not used to driving RC cars anywhere near 100 mph on an unknown surface.
That video is from a while back a 180 orion motor with batteries tugged on it so it really wasnt drivable but now I have the brushless motor with the same pinion and the performance is outragous .

There was some hacking and distrust involved with that website. Im no computer genius but there was something going on there.

GWR is too much right now I would seriously like to try.
rustler08 Date 3/26/2005 5:36:11 PM
ok, xmods are trashy toys. mini-z's are awesome toys
Im not picking no sides between mini-zs or xmods. Im happy that Im fortunate to experience both of them but in my opinion I would prefer a xmod but with the electronics of a mini-z or similar.

Im take rolling resistance to another level with my MZM and xmods not finished with the MZM yet, but with the xmods I can drive full speed let go and travel at least 30ft before it comes to a complete stop.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12236.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	249621  
Old 03-26-2005, 11:05 PM
MBX5T Maniac

fast BOY, the xmod will roll futher than the mzm because the mzm weighs about 1-1/2 times more than the xmod. geez, think. i can get very good bearing to make the mzm roll further. and the xmod is faster w/ all the mods you did. maybe 17 mph w/ the motor pictured.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:16 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: _fastman_
Im not picking no sides between mini-zs or xmods. Im happy that Im fortunate to experience both of them but in my opinion I would prefer a xmod but with the electronics of a mini-z or similar.
In my opinion, RS Xmods with a different radio and electronics would be a great improvement especially if it could be done without increasing the cost to the consumer. However, that is also why I brought up an 4WD ABC DTMx4 1/24th scale kit (ABC SP version is 2WD) which very few people on this forum either know about or post about (again, RS Xmod has great marketing though its design reminds me of the ABC DTMx4).

Here are a few photos of my DTMx4.

Old 03-27-2005, 02:08 PM
MBX5T Maniac

TNB, hook me up w/ a link to this bad boy.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:42 PM
_fastman_

Tigger N. Bennie
In my opinion, RS Xmods with a different radio and electronics would be a great improvement especially if it could be done without increasing the cost to the consumer. However, that is also why I brought up an 4WD ABC DTMx4 1/24th scale kit (ABC SP version is 2WD) which very few people on this forum either know about or post about (again, RS Xmod has great marketing though its design reminds me of the ABC DTMx4).

I heard alot about those and have never really researched them. the one in the picture looks very nice and from the looks of it it looks like you can do alot with them.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:48 PM
MBX5T Maniac

nicer than a xmod imo. and even better than a mini-z. ha ha, get one of those fast boy, and put your brushless in it and your li-ion cells and see how fast it goes.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:27 PM
_fastman_

Heres the bodies to the chassis.
The brushless motor chassis body in the middle Skyline GTR R34 converted to a Skyline GTR R35
6cell chassis body at the top cadillac escalade
2cell ions body at the bottom mini-z mecedes body converted to cadillac CTS/STS
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77764.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	250269  
Old 03-28-2005, 12:04 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Here is a link to the ABC DTMx4 at RC Mart:
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=765

And I guess I've been a bad boy too since I've been neglecting my Zs though I'll soon be racing them. I played hookie and went to the Silver State race. Here is one of the photos I took today.

Old 03-28-2005, 12:18 AM
MBX5T Maniac

quite a few buggies. sweetness.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:47 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Here is a photo of one of the local buggies floating through the air. For some reason, this Kyosho "floats" a little differently from a Kyosho Mini-Z.

Old 03-28-2005, 01:59 PM
MBX5T Maniac

i take it that one is yours. am i right?
Old 03-28-2005, 03:40 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

That Kyosho wasn't mine at the time, but it is now along with another Kyosho buggy. I also have a Mugen mbX5.

Edit: Here is a link to RC America's coverage of the Silver State Nitro Challenge.
http://www.rcamerica.com/media/showa...p?articleID=11
Old 04-07-2005, 03:51 AM
stevenchao

I work at AON Electric. We are fooling around with new brushless motors for the 1/18 scale. The brushless motor is a drop-in version for the current 1/18 scale cars/trucks. The motor has good speed and much "grunt."

Let us know if you are gamed. Contact me via email at [email protected] for details and requirements.

Peace,
Steven Chao
Old 04-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

You've got mail.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:21 AM
xmod master

xmods r the best i have mini-zs and one xmod but i think it is better it been clocked at 31mph
Old 12-07-2005, 11:25 AM
xmod master

mini-zs r to much money and r a load of bsssssssssssssssssssssss [:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 12-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

ORIGINAL: xmod master
xmods r the best i have mini-zs and one xmod but i think it is better it been clocked at 31mph
Let me guess, you don't race on a track since the only place you could probably run a legit 31 mph would be on a straight. I've actually had to gear down my modified Kyoshos even when I had a 43 foot straight in my track layouts. By the way, if you decide to go off on a tanget, RCP Tracks makes the tracks for both Kyosho and Radio Shack.
mini-zs r to much money and r a load of bsssssssssssssssssssssss [:@][:@][:@][:@]
Granted Zs cost more than an Xmod, but an Xmod would probably cost more too if Radio Shack got rid of that transmitter. For awhile the MR02s were selling for $90 when the Xmods were $50. Of course, the newer Xmod is $60 and does drive much better, but it still has that same type of transmitter. Why not charge an extra $10 and dump the stock transmitter in order to use one that can use a standard AM transmitter? Of course, both Kyosho and Iwaver have released newer models as well and both of those can use standard transmitters. The boats are also FM as well as some of the limited Zs. And yes, I own a few Xmods including the Evo and have driven them on a track.

To each their own. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:39 PM
xmod master

will i do race on a track it is quite a big one
and i put my car on the tayma dineamo sooooo there
Old 12-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

It's Tamiya and it's designed for a different car. It's not true ground speed either. For that matter, I've clocked my Zs even faster than that. Do you have any photos of your track? Here are a couple of my track. There are also more in my Gallery.

Old 12-07-2005, 02:41 PM
xmod master

no pic of track but i think its a bit bigger and not made from them we thing u pt together lak lego lol
Old 12-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Cheezman

I used to like Xmods more than MiniZ's, but now that I have really been using a friends MiniZ, I really am interested in getting an MA01... The Evo Xmod, although good, sucks at the same time, a lot of the problems they have fixed, but I was unfortunate to get one that wasn't fixed, so half the thing is broken in pieces.

To the comment that MiniZs are "bsssssssssssssssssssssssssssss".. I have one reply for you. "What are you smoking?"

Their price reflects their performance, they turn far better than an Xmod, although, they don't have the best FETs (not as good as the Evo FET), because they run at 4.8 volts, even though the FETs need 10 volts to run at 100%, that and they are only rated for I think 3 Amps, where as the Evo FETs run at I think Ph2t said something like 2 volts, at around 9 Amps, that being said, they MiniZ electronics are still far more efficient, just in that one field they are lacking... But the major difference is the Servo, and Transmitter, the MiniZ has a far better servo and transmitter than an Xmod... both have the Pros and Cons. And one that saying a "miniz is better because Xmods are trash toys" is just being ignorent.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:58 PM
RS4rallydriver

I had 2 first gen x-mods for about a year. I put a 6 cell upgrade in the first one (honda civic) and it ran ballistic (maybe 25-30) untill the extra juice fried the electronics 3 weeks later.
then, the second one I had (and still have) a subaru sti, ran perfect for a long time, untill it broke a driveshaft. and then I got the new evo. which is a lancer.
I didn't get anything for it yet other than the ball bearings. is there ANY WAY POSSIBLE to use a futaba ms radio with the car? I really like the new evo, but I really want a better radio. not to be off subject or anything, it's just that I have never driven a mini-z, therefore I can't really say anything about them! so, anyone wired a good radio to the evo yet?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

no pic of track but i think its a bit bigger and not made from them we thing u pt together lak lego lol
The so-called RCP Track you make fun of has been used by Radio Shack in its national championships, by Kyosho in their various national championships, and by PN Racing in their international championships which included racers from numerous nations throughout Europe, Asia, and North America. Of course, you would know that if you qualified and raced at such national championships. It's also been used by Iwaver for demo'ing and will probably be used at their races if and when Iwaver starts having races. For that matter, RCP Track has also been used at various large hobby shows throughout the United States, Japan, and Germany for not only minis, but for RCs as large as 1/8th scale and for even the Kyosho Mini-Z-boats. My "personal" track was used by Kyosho/RCP Tracks at RCX and Hobby Visions.

Meanwhile, I'll be looking forward to seeing photos of your track--ozite, rubber, modified tar paper, or otherwise.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:36 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

ORIGINAL: RS4rallydriver
is there ANY WAY POSSIBLE to use a futaba ms radio with the car? I really like the new evo, but I really want a better radio.
Some people have installed either Kyosho or Iwaver electronics in the older models. I'm unsure about the Evo, but it the fix would probably be the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.