Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

xmod-minit-tamiyamonster-miniz-minizmonster-overland-m18

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

xmod-minit-tamiyamonster-miniz-minizmonster-overland-m18

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 09:53 PM
Cryptic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xmod-minit-tamiyamonster-miniz-minizmonster-overland-m18

k i just want something cool thats smaller than 1/12 and theres a billion so does anybody have multiples of any of these and would say which is better so i can do process of elimination to find the best one
Old 01-20-2004, 10:29 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: xmod-minit-tamiyamonster-miniz-minizmonster-overland-m18

ORIGINAL: Cryptic
k i just want something cool thats smaller than 1/12 and theres a billion so does anybody have multiples of any of these and would say which is better so i can do process of elimination to find the best one
Do you really want something smaller than a 1/12 scale or are you simply attempting to start another feud? I only ask for several reasons: 1. There are lots of threads on this forum already, 2. you supposedly visit a track in St. Louis and use an email address like "KanaiLad" which seems to imply you own a Kyosho Inferno MP-7.5 Kanai buggy, and yet, 3. you posted that you didn't have enough for a mbX5 but are interested in buggies ranging from $280-$350. If you are also limiting your budget as you apparently are with the buggies, are you limiting your budget with the smaller scale cars as well? If the answer is yes, this will also limit your choice and save every one else's time and concern if you publish your price range. If you are not limiting your selection and own a Kanai, would you prefer another Kyosho product?
Old 01-21-2004, 04:54 PM
Cryptic

i am sorry if i am misleading. the kanailad adress i made a long time ago cus i hoped one day that i could get a k2 (bak when k3 wasnt out) i don not have that much money so i want a buggy that is cheaper so i can also have a mini electric something to play with when i get nitro problems. i am sorry if there has already been threads about this kind of topic. i looked at the front page and didnt see anything. now i know that this board is quite large so the front page is usually only the last day. if any of you have a link they could give me to an older thread on this topic thats would be good.

if you want me too limit it down i guess i could say no offroad stuff cus of the buggy - (but i did like the mini t)

and no m18 cus thats too expensive

heck ill just save you all the trouble and just buy a mini-t cus ive heard they are pretty good (why on a forum would i want to start another thread anyway?)

and no offense tigger but you gotta to watch your mouth cus someday that will get you in a lot of trouble
Old 01-21-2004, 04:55 PM
Cryptic

okay w/e i dont want a feud just one person that know alot about theses micros to run down the list and explain each product for a sentence or two would be helpful
Old 01-21-2004, 05:25 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you took it wrong because I asked for more information, I don't know what to write other than it's simply that I've read countless threads from members asking what the best-of-the-best is and two things usually happen--The person learns how much the best-of-the-best actually costs and then decides it is not within their price range or simply doesn't want to spend that much money. Meanwhile, the thread gets hit with lots of replies and petty bickering breaks out because everyone but the original thread starter is debating or arguing about what is actually the best-of-the-best.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:11 PM
Cryptic

fine dont tell me which is the best just whoever has one explain what it is. cus i dont even know what some of them r and there r new ones coming out all the time this is what i no so far:

minit - tamiya mini monster: little trucks with offroad tires
miniz-xmod: big zipzaps
m18:the only real competitive one, better than micro rs4
overland: kyoshos pathetic attempt at what the mini t nailed
brb 1/18?
micrors4 - 1/18 not indoor more fast fun
there are others that i dont know about
Old 01-22-2004, 03:32 AM
BovineD

I will only comment on the ones I have and use so hopefully this helps.

If you want an on road mainly indoor only RC:

Xmod: if you do not want to spend over 140 get it and all the hop ups for a decent lil car that will look good, go fast, not turn that well (very small steering stepping range) but will give you a 1/28th scale drifting drag racing machine. Pretty decent for the price, but the transmitter bites and you cannot use any other ones...

MiniZ MR01 and MR02: A step up from the Xmods in terms of both price and performance. Look to spend at least 300 on car and hopups to get a great driving fully proportional RC car that handles like a dream, can really get moving and has a great collection of scale model detail bodies. Great for car buffs and RC fans alike. Loads of aftermarket hop up parts to buy and customize your ride.

The MR02 are the second generation of the MiniZ onroaders that improve on the original design with a lower COG and wider and longer stance and wheelbase and better electronics. This is my current favorite.

MiniZ Overland: An attempt to make a 1/28th scale truck which completely misses the point as the little truck is a great car in its own right. Moves very fast, geared to climb inclines and is just as nimble as its on road racers. trail arm suspension and ball pivoting front and rear axle boxes give the Overland awesome articulation. Definitely corners a niche market but is great to have as a unique racer as nothing else is really quite like it.

MicroRS4: If you are used to 1/10th scale belt driven 4WD cars then this is exactly what you get at about half the size. Expect to spend about 500 or more to get a decent drive out of this smooth racer but with a large option of after market parts motors and ability to use full sized 1/10th scale electrics prepare to spend serious dough.

I always say that the most important thing to consider with micros or any RC for that matter is who are you planning to race with?

The question to ask yourself is what are you going to use it for? Just bashing around a lot or serious racing? Any others in your area with micro scale cars?

Because seriously, that is the biggest factor that you should consider. Without others to race with, RC is just not as fun.....Check your local Hooby shop or local tracks if any are around. Or bug your friends about what they want to drive or already have, better yet you pick one then convince your friends to buy the same because let me tell you, even if you did spend 2000 grand on the fastest RS4 on the planet it will not mean much when everyone else around you races MiniZs. And hey, if you hate humanity as a whole and live in the secluded woods get an Overland or MiniT!

BTW listen to Tigger. I read alot of his posts an he offers some of the best advice.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:12 AM
kong_loo

Hi Cryptic,

I only have experience with the Z and RS4 (my own cars) and the Mini-T (friend's).

I guess you need to decide whether you want to go on road or off-road 1st. Cos if it's off-road you are pretty limited to the mini-T I guess. This is a great car - pretty slow stock but I have read it is easy to change the motor. RTR $50 cheaper than RS4 RTR which is around $200. I was slightly disappointed when I saw it jumping as it seemed to want to tumble end over end when it landed (I expected it to land on its wheels I guess), but that could just be my friend being too adventurous on the jumps.

Agree with BovineD about the Z's - nice looking cars and they have incredibly small turnining radius so driving around the house is easy. Bits do tend to break off though - e.g. spoiler, side mirrors and paint, especially after the novelty wears off and you really start driving that thing. I thought they were the bee's knees until I got my MRS4 which for me was a lot better.

Actually it doesn't cost that much to make MRS4 go fast. Yes they are slow stock but are very driveable and do great drifts even in stock form with tape on the tires. I bought a second one used (RTR) from e-bay with the speed 300 motor installed for around US$100 so it depends a little on your luck (shipping to Singapore was a hefty $50 though, haha). This goes around 27mph on a 6 cell pack (around $20).

X-ray M18 is next on my wishlist. From the forums I have read they give the stock micros a hard time on the course. If you already have a receiver/radio/servo on another car it isn't that expensive either as you can just swap them out. Tuned speed 300 around $25 should make it faster than you need anyway.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:15 PM
BovineD

yeah 500 was a bit high for the RS4....

For example I bought a Skyline RTR brand new from hobbypeople.net for 159.99 plus shipping which brough it to about 175.00 then add Team Orion 7.2v 100mAh packs, (35.00) superbrain charger (50.00) Team Orion Big block (30.00) , Ball Diff (30.00) Steel dog bones (33.00)

So really that is about 400 bucks, and you really only need a pack and charger with the RTR kit.

I guess I meant that if you go with the kit and pay for top of the line electronics that you can run up a tally pretty quickly.

That was a sick deal on that RS4 though Kong_loo....what shape was it in?

I would love an Xray as well but since I do not have a decent electronics kit for a car it will run me well over 400 just to get started!
Old 01-22-2004, 09:06 PM
kong_loo

Yeah, it was a last minute bid up against 1 other person that was interested. Luckily the timing on the last bid was just right, haha

The condition was pretty good although the front of the lexan body had a bit of a crack, but I guess if it had been running a speed 300 this was to be expected.

Prices have gone down a bit on accessories. Personally I would only bother with the steel front universals and arms (which if you shop around may be 30-35 dollars) and a tuned speed 300 with motor plate ($25 from kingdaddyracing; $10 for motor plate)
I found the rear balldiff to make little difference on my 2nd car in terms of performance - it isn't any faster anyhow. I got a front one way for $20 but then swapped back to the original front diff which I found better when built right (just worried about it stripping).

Stock front suspension also better than X-shocks so don't bother to swap it out. (although x-shocks look pretty cool).

So if you already have a RC radio/reciever/servo set - e.g. Futaba MJ for around $50-60.

You only need $90 (new RS4 kit) + $35 (tuned motor+plate) + $35 steel front universals and arms + $20 6 cell pack and you have a decent car for $180 and everything is new.

Of course that's only if you have a radio set already. If you don't have another rc car then you prob don't have the battery charger either. The superbrain is a decent charger for around $60. All-in getting expensive now... but remember you will prob end up getting a 2nd car and the charger and radio can be re-used cos the electronics are standard with normal 1/10 cars.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:42 PM
Cryptic

okay lots of great info thanx

i will get the mx3 for my buggy and i already have the superbrain

for the same price the m18 kit is much better than the old micro so if i am racing that will be good. does it operate off of the full size reciever? how bout servos. i didnt realize that you couls switch out stuff from full scale cars.

what sux is none of my friends have rc, and there are no racing mini classes around here...

all i would be doin it entertaining the parking lot and the occasional friend that we go out and mess with the car w/e

is it even worth it?

i dont even know if i should get offroad or onroad... and i really want to limit it to 1/18 cus the miniz's even fully souped just look like crap slow. i mean ive had a 50mph buggy how fun can those little buggers be? anyways depending on how much of the mx3 stuff is interchangeable with micro/vs/m18 im leaning towards one of those or the mini t/tamiya

thats not much limiting tho - altho i might get rif of offroad cus the mini t vids show them just pathetically slow and cant even jump a foot in the air?

im doubting the micro world right now... reasurance?
Old 01-23-2004, 08:17 PM
BovineD

Cryptic, I guess you really need to ask yourself something. This is the question you started out with:

"k i just want something cool thats smaller than 1/12 and theres a billion so does anybody have multiples of any of these and would say which is better so i can do process of elimination to find the best one "

You have a Nitro buggy already so you have something for offroad thrashing which I am sure that you enjoy, or maybe you don't; you tell me.

There must be a reason for you wanting to try out another RC. You mention something smaller. Are you limited to where you can drive? Is the weather keeping you indoors? Sick of constant maintenance on your buggy? Want to expand your collection of RC stuff? money burning a hole in your pocket? Trying to get others to join you?

What exactly is it that you are looking for?

If you are the only one with RC on the brain and you just bash around outdoors, seems like you already have the right car in a nitro buggy.

The micro cars are a completely different class of cars then a nitro buggy, so your perspective of of what you have compared to what you will be getting into may need to be readjusted according to what you are looking for, and perhaps maybe how much you are looking to spend.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:16 PM
Cryptic

well im either getting a mini t or an m18 or neither

m18 if the reciever from mx3 is interchangeable and if the other electronics that arnet dont exceed $100

mini t if the brushless motor setup isnt too much $$$

neither if they are both too much dough