Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

OFFICIAL Team Losi Micro-T thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

OFFICIAL Team Losi Micro-T thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 02:46 PM
6speednissan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL Team Losi Micro-T thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.thetoyz.com has them for 11 bucks with 3.65 priority mail shipping. Mine's on the way.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:56 PM
6speednissan

Hey guys, Im buying a 250mah lipo and charger tonight. I also have the Atomic BB motor on the way. How long will I get before the pack has to be recharged?
Old 03-31-2007, 06:16 PM
savage_x4.1

thanks 6speednissan
Old 03-31-2007, 07:01 PM
nitro _ burner

how much would you sell a chassis and battery for?
also whats the most powerfull battery you can get that fits ino the stock chassis and thats nimh the most powerfull one i can find is 160 mah:
http://www.killerhobbies.com/items/t...100-detail.htm
Old 04-01-2007, 07:15 AM
nitro _ burner

hey everyone ive found this awesome page that has heaps of lipo batterys for the micro t
http://www.maxamps.com/products.php?cat=50
would this be most suited th the micro t without damaging the engine or frying the ESC
Any help will be appreciated. cheers
Old 04-01-2007, 07:37 AM
nitro _ burner

i know that my 2 last posts make no sense but im just trying to weigh up the different battery types. If its more eaiser to buy a lipo and a charger (expensive) or to just buy a better nimh pack (inexpensive and i have a charger)
im torn between the two. so i need ALL the pros and cons of both types of batterypacks and what you prefer and why.

cheers[8D]
Old 04-01-2007, 10:26 AM
6speednissan

Can we really use a 320mah lipo without messing it up? If so, I'll buy that battery today. I'd be able to run for like an hour!
Old 04-01-2007, 10:37 AM
mikemcnair

what mah is the lipo that TL is coming out with? i am getting that(ordered already) and am sure it is not a low mah batt.

320 does seem to be a little much, but what do i know.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:16 AM
6speednissan

The Losi lipo is 180mah. I read up on that 320mah battery and its only 3.7v. You would get an insane amount of run time, but less power. The 250mah battery is 7.4v so you would get a lot more power and probably 10-15 minutes more run time. On the other hand, the motor would run hotter and need a break before the battery ran out. Either way, its better than using the stock 150mah battery. My question is, how hot is too hot for the motor? I will use my Duratrax temp gun to monitor the temp, but at what temp should the truck be turned off?
Old 04-01-2007, 03:34 PM
jeep2003

what peak chargers are you guys using? I want one that can charge my micro-t and my rc18t and my savage humpack. Im hoping to find a used one for cheap also. Any suggestions?
Old 04-01-2007, 03:46 PM
LBRC

You know if your going to use Lithium Batteries you might a well learn the difference between “Parallel” and “Serries” battery packs as well as Voltage” and Milliamps Per Hour (mAh).

mAh: Or Milliamps Per Hour is simply how much current the battery can deliver over time, a larger number just means a car will run longer, it has nothing whatsoever to do with a motor or circuit boards ability to handle the battery. You could have a 15,000,000mAh battery and as long as the voltage was correct the Micro-T could handle it.

Voltage and Current: Now where talking about what your circuit board and/or motor can handle. To keep it simple the more voltage the faster your motor will turn as long as there is also enough current, but too much voltage and your circuit board will burn up, your motor can also burn up with more voltage than it was meant to handle. Voltage is eclectic potential energy not the energy itself that’s current, an easy visualization would be to think of the water coming out of the end of a hose as the “current” and the speed at which that water is moving as the “voltage.” Try pushing a brick across your driveway with a hose too little water even going very fast (hi voltage, low current) won’t move a heavy brick, even though it would move a lighter block of wood very fast, a lot of water moving very slowly (low voltage, high current) might move the brick but not very fast, you need the right amount of speed and water (voltage and current) to be useful when moving your brick.

Series and Paralle Battery Packs: If I connect two cells (individual batteries) in series negative to positive it will double the voltage but the current will stay the same, so two 3.7 volt 180mAh lithium poly cells in series will give me a 7.4 volt 180mAh LiPo battery pack. If I connect the same two cells in parallel the opposite will happen, it will double the current while the voltage stays the same, so I would get a 3.7volt 360mAh battery pack. The 7.4 volt 180mAh pack would make my car faster but it would not run as long, the 3.7 volt 360mAh pack would not be nearly as fast but would run much longer.

“C” ratings: As in a 10C lithium battery pack, this is an important number to know and will tell you why most cell phone LiPo’s and other low C rating cells don’t work in your Micro-T. “C” x Capacity (mAh) gives you your maximum discharge values. For example a 10C 180mAh battery lithium battery pack can deliver 10 x 180mAh of current without damage or 1.8 amps. Where as 10C 360mAh pack can deliver 3.6 amps of current without damage to itself.

Charging: Lithium batteries have a max charge rate of 1C so a 180mAh pack can be charged safely at no more than 0.18 amps and the 360mAh pack can be charged at no more than 0.36 amps.

Size: If a battery is too big it won’t fit in your car, you have to check it’s actual physical dimensions. Capacity (mAh) and “C” ratings are obviously related to a battery packs size, as a general rule of thumb to keep your self from looking like an idiot you should remember that the greater the “mAh” value and voltage the bigger the battery’s physical size is likely to be. So that a 7.4v 800mAh LiPo battery pack is likely to be four times larger than a 7.4v 200mAh LiPo pack. Another thing to remember is that individual LiPo cells with higher “C” ratings tend to be thicker.

With the best we have available today the largest capacity battery that can be squeezed into the stock Micro-T compartment is a 10C 250mAh LiPo cell pack, thats either a 2s 7.4v 250mAh pack for speed or a 2p 3.7v 500mAh pack for runtime, the 2s 250 you can buy the 2p you would have to make.

Advanced class: If you already understand all or most of the above, especially that bit about moving the brick, you should be able to see why a 7.4v 15C 200mAh cell might be a better all out Micro-T LiPo pack than a 7.4v 10C 250mAh pack, and you would also understand why someone racing a Micro-T on a technical 2xWL RCP track might prefer a 3.7v 2p pack over a 7.4v 2s.

jeep2003 I suggest you save up for a Duratrax Ice, not exactly cheep but it's what you want, on a budget you might look for a used Triton since a lot of Triton 1 owners are switching/upgrading to the Ice or Triton 2. A Piranha would also do but with the 18T I assume you would want or at least eventually want to charge LiPo packs too.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:06 PM
jeep2003

Im liking the piranah charger. I doubt ill be switching to lipos i have a hard enough time with the regular batteries i did just get a mamba 6800 though. Any thought on the super brain 959? i heard they have problems with the buttons and such
Old 04-01-2007, 04:08 PM
6speednissan

Man its great having you on here! You can always answer the technical questions perfectly! So would I be looking at a significant power loss by going with a 320mah 3.7v lipo vs. the stock 4.2v or whatever it is battery? I know my runtime would be greater. I imagine the motor would run a lot cooler going with a 320mah 3.7v instead of the 250mah 7.4v.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:02 PM
LBRC

Stock battery: 4.8v 150mAh 4-cell NiMH, made from 4 very good high current 1/3aaa cells, if undamaged thes cells have very good current delivery for 15mm long 1/3AAA's. If you switched to a 3.7volt 2p lithium poly pack you would notice that on a smooth level surface it would be slower (1.1 volts slower to be exact), but since most lithium poly batteries can deliver much more current at any one time on a hill or surface that makes the motor work harder and draw more current the speed difference would be much less noticeable. Also after a few minutes of driving the NiMH pack will start to run down while the 2p pack is still going strong so eventually they will switch and the 2P will be faster.

To sum it up a good 3.7v LiPo pack would give you more torque and longer runtimes but absolute top speed will be slower especially on a smooth level surface during the first two minutes or so of driving.

Lets say you are racing two Micro-T’s on an oval track at WOT (wide open throttle). Off the line the 3.7v 2p LiPo would get the jump because it has more current delivery but the 4.8v NiMH would quickly catch up and pull ahead for the first two to three minutes it would establish a pretty good lead because of it’s higher voltage but after that the 2p would start catch back up as the NiMH started to run out of power (voltage x current) and eventually pass the NiMH. And after 4 or 5 minutes at WOT it would be no contest especially once the NiMH rolled to a stop while the 2p kept going, and going, and going…

If you where to repeat the race uphill the 2p would catch up in a very few seconds, if it was going downhill the NiMH would maintain its faster speed longer.

On a track like this one

the 2p would never fall behind because its greater current delivery allows it to get up to speed quicker and it’s lower voltage would make it much more controlable, only on the long straight would the NiMH start to catch up but in the turns it would quickly fall behind again and after 20 laps even on the straights it would be slower. LoL if the race was for 50 laps it would take a good driver just to finish with a 4.8v 150 or 160mAh NiMH pack.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:27 PM
6speednissan

Thanks again for the info! It would be nice to bring my truck somewhere and not have to worry about the battery going dead. Aren't you supposed to keep lipos above a certain voltage? Ive seen people talking about running them for like 20 min and charging them again to make sure they don't drop below a certain voltage. With regular batteries you can run them dry, but with lipos you can't? I just want to make sure before I get mine going. Im not even sure if voltage is what they were saying, but they said not to run them all the way out.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:04 PM
LBRC

You must never let Lithium batteries discharge below ~3v per cell (6v for a 2s, 3v for a 2p), if you do it’s time to throw it away, at the recycle center not in the trash, especially in any trash connected to your or anyone else’s house.

So with lithium’s you must:
Never leave the on/off switch in the on position when not in use.
Never run the car until it stops.
Never store a discharged pack.

You should:
Unplug it when not in use.
Charge it immediately after use.
Own a volt meter or lithium charger with a voltage display.

When to charge:
Simple when the car slows down it’s time to charge.
After each use it’s time to charge.

How slow is time to charge slow? Well that’s what the volt meter is for, or lithium chargers like the Triton and Ice that have display that shows you the packs voltage.

BTW even though it's not quit as disastrous/deadly/bad as it is with lithium’s, you should also not fully discharge a NiMH pack either (NiCad’s yes NiMH no) especially when not using a computerized charger that will automatically detect the low voltage and switch to a recovery mode. That’s why there was a warning tag that came with your Micro-T telling you to remember to turn it off. Also you do not want to trickle charge a NiMH pack (NiCad yes, NiMH no) since it can significantly shorten the batteries life, high end NiMH charges do come with a timed and adjustable trickle charge setting, more correctly called a top-off charge. NiMH chargers form department stores, camera shops, Rat Shack, and the like usually come with a trickle charge that you can not turn off since they are in the business of selling batteries.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:54 PM
rcplayer

ARGHHH!!!

I just came home from the RCX show in Pomona. I picked one of these up. The motor seems to turn (it makes a spinning sound so i assume it works).

BUT the wheels will not turn!

How depressing. what should i do?
Old 04-01-2007, 09:50 PM
6speednissan

Ok, Im really excited now! I just ordered this charger...http://www.electrifly.com/chargers/gpmm3010.html...and this battery...http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...=U421875&img=l. I am also going to charge an old battery at my work and bring it home to use as the power source for the charger. I didn't want to cut up my truck's wires so I ordered a pack of stock Micro T connectors for the battery and charger. Thanks everyone for their help and I'll post vids and pics when its up and running.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:43 PM
LBRC

The charger was a decent choice but umm how to say it, the battery was not. Problem number one is that it’s 25mm wide, that’s just about 5mm to many. The good news is that with a little work you should be able to very carefully squeeze it in, it has been done before. The other thing is that the small E-Tec packs have a fairly low C rating like around 5 to 8C max if I remember right. So it can work and has been used but there where better choices, available these days. Sorry, but that's not as bad as it might sound, for example it's better than the poor souls who bought some of the low C 150's people where selling, the fit will be the major problem.

Luis1972, take the gear cover off most likely the motor pinion gear is not meshing with the slipper clutch spur gear. If so loosen the motor screws a turn or two and push it forward until the gears mesh but are not tight, then tighten the motor screws back up.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:39 AM
makg

Has anyone here tried the Atomic BB motor? I've heard some people say its better than stock, but by how much? It's first on my list right next to the TL lipo/charger.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:25 AM
rcplayer

"ARGHHH!!!

I just came home from the RCX show in Pomona. I picked one of these up. The motor seems to turn (it makes a spinning sound so i assume it works).

BUT the wheels will not turn!

How depressing. what should i do?"

damn, anybody want to give me some advice please?
Old 04-02-2007, 02:28 AM
LBRC

Did two posts back.

Take the gear cover off most likely the motor pinion gear is not meshing with the slipper clutch spur gear.

If so loosen the motor screws a turn or two and push the motor forward until the gears mesh but are not tight, then tighten the motor screws to hold the motor in place.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:26 AM
nitro _ burner

DUDE thats exactly what i needed to know!!! im a big noob when it comes to electric. i think ill buy the 320 mah pack and mabye the 250. so basically when the car starts to slow down charge it. and whats a good charger for the two battery packs i mentioned.

CHEERS...
ORIGINAL: LBRC

You know if your going to use Lithium Batteries you might a well learn the difference between “Parallel” and “Serries” battery packs as well as Voltage” and Milliamps Per Hour (mAh).

mAh: Or Milliamps Per Hour is simply how much current the battery can deliver over time, a larger number just means a car will run longer, it has nothing whatsoever to do with a motor or circuit boards ability to handle the battery. You could have a 15,000,000mAh battery and as long as the voltage was correct the Micro-T could handle it.

Voltage and Current: Now where talking about what your circuit board and/or motor can handle. To keep it simple the more voltage the faster your motor will turn as long as there is also enough current, but too much voltage and your circuit board will burn up, your motor can also burn up with more voltage than it was meant to handle. Voltage is eclectic potential energy not the energy itself that’s current, an easy visualization would be to think of the water coming out of the end of a hose as the “current” and the speed at which that water is moving as the “voltage.” Try pushing a brick across your driveway with a hose too little water even going very fast (hi voltage, low current) won’t move a heavy brick, even though it would move a lighter block of wood very fast, a lot of water moving very slowly (low voltage, high current) might move the brick but not very fast, you need the right amount of speed and water (voltage and current) to be useful when moving your brick.

Series and Paralle Battery Packs: If I connect two cells (individual batteries) in series negative to positive it will double the voltage but the current will stay the same, so two 3.7 volt 180mAh lithium poly cells in series will give me a 7.4 volt 180mAh LiPo battery pack. If I connect the same two cells in parallel the opposite will happen, it will double the current while the voltage stays the same, so I would get a 3.7volt 360mAh battery pack. The 7.4 volt 180mAh pack would make my car faster but it would not run as long, the 3.7 volt 360mAh pack would not be nearly as fast but would run much longer.

“C” ratings: As in a 10C lithium battery pack, this is an important number to know and will tell you why most cell phone LiPo’s and other low C rating cells don’t work in your Micro-T. “C” x Capacity (mAh) gives you your maximum discharge values. For example a 10C 180mAh battery lithium battery pack can deliver 10 x 180mAh of current without damage or 1.8 amps. Where as 10C 360mAh pack can deliver 3.6 amps of current without damage to itself.

Charging: Lithium batteries have a max charge rate of 1C so a 180mAh pack can be charged safely at no more than 0.18 amps and the 360mAh pack can be charged at no more than 0.36 amps.

Size: If a battery is too big it won’t fit in your car, you have to check it’s actual physical dimensions. Capacity (mAh) and “C” ratings are obviously related to a battery packs size, as a general rule of thumb to keep your self from looking like an idiot you should remember that the greater the “mAh” value and voltage the bigger the battery’s physical size is likely to be. So that a 7.4v 800mAh LiPo battery pack is likely to be four times larger than a 7.4v 200mAh LiPo pack. Another thing to remember is that individual LiPo cells with higher “C” ratings tend to be thicker.

With the best we have available today the largest capacity battery that can be squeezed into the stock Micro-T compartment is a 10C 250mAh LiPo cell pack, thats either a 2s 7.4v 250mAh pack for speed or a 2p 3.7v 500mAh pack for runtime, the 2s 250 you can buy the 2p you would have to make.

Advanced class: If you already understand all or most of the above, especially that bit about moving the brick, you should be able to see why a 7.4v 15C 200mAh cell might be a better all out Micro-T LiPo pack than a 7.4v 10C 250mAh pack, and you would also understand why someone racing a Micro-T on a technical 2xWL RCP track might prefer a 3.7v 2p pack over a 7.4v 2s.

jeep2003 I suggest you save up for a Duratrax Ice, not exactly cheep but it's what you want, on a budget you might look for a used Triton since a lot of Triton 1 owners are switching/upgrading to the Ice or Triton 2. A Piranha would also do but with the 18T I assume you would want or at least eventually want to charge LiPo packs too.
Stock battery: 4.8v 150mAh 4-cell NiMH, made from 4 very good high current 1/3aaa cells, if undamaged thes cells have very good current delivery for 15mm long 1/3AAA's. If you switched to a 3.7volt 2p lithium poly pack you would notice that on a smooth level surface it would be slower (1.1 volts slower to be exact), but since most lithium poly batteries can deliver much more current at any one time on a hill or surface that makes the motor work harder and draw more current the speed difference would be much less noticeable. Also after a few minutes of driving the NiMH pack will start to run down while the 2p pack is still going strong so eventually they will switch and the 2P will be faster.

To sum it up a good 3.7v LiPo pack would give you more torque and longer runtimes but absolute top speed will be slower especially on a smooth level surface during the first two minutes or so of driving.

Lets say you are racing two Micro-T’s on an oval track at WOT (wide open throttle). Off the line the 3.7v 2p LiPo would get the jump because it has more current delivery but the 4.8v NiMH would quickly catch up and pull ahead for the first two to three minutes it would establish a pretty good lead because of it’s higher voltage but after that the 2p would start catch back up as the NiMH started to run out of power (voltage x current) and eventually pass the NiMH. And after 4 or 5 minutes at WOT it would be no contest especially once the NiMH rolled to a stop while the 2p kept going, and going, and going…

If you where to repeat the race uphill the 2p would catch up in a very few seconds, if it was going downhill the NiMH would maintain its faster speed longer.

On a track like this one

the 2p would never fall behind because its greater current delivery allows it to get up to speed quicker and it’s lower voltage would make it much more controlable, only on the long straight would the NiMH start to catch up but in the turns it would quickly fall behind again and after 20 laps even on the straights it would be slower. LoL if the race was for 50 laps it would take a good driver just to finish with a 4.8v 150 or 160mAh NiMH pack.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:47 AM
nitro _ burner

Hey everyone i have had thi problem for a while but i was just waiting for some parts from america to arrive before i can get stuck into it. BUT before i get stuck into it i need to know what im doing soooooo the problem is the diff i think, no im pretty shure it is any way when i spin one wheel the other spins the same way this is not natural is it, so i was just going to oil it is that all i need to do and also its pretty damn stiff and puts a bit of strain on the engine and gives you shorter runtimes and is more worse in the left wheel.
soooo is all i need to do is oil it? just so you know oil is all i have i havnt got any grease but i suppose i cold buy some from my local hardware store or my LSD.
what do you guys think??

Thanks in advance. cheers
Old 04-02-2007, 12:58 PM
6speednissan

ORIGINAL: LBRC

The charger was a decent choice but umm how to say it, the battery was not. Problem number one is that it’s 25mm wide, that’s just about 5mm to many. The good news is that with a little work you should be able to very carefully squeeze it in, it has been done before. The other thing is that the small E-Tec packs have a fairly low C rating like around 5 to 8C max if I remember right. So it can work and has been used but there where better choices, available these days. Sorry, but that's not as bad as it might sound, for example it's better than the poor souls who bought some of the low C 150's people where selling, the fit will be the major problem.

Luis1972, take the gear cover off most likely the motor pinion gear is not meshing with the slipper clutch spur gear. If so loosen the motor screws a turn or two and push it forward until the gears mesh but are not tight, then tighten the motor screws back up.
So does this mean my truck will be slower? I will find a way to make it fit, but that sucks that its not the best battery. Ive seen people linking to it and use it in theirs, so I figured it was pretty good. I hope its not slower than stock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.