Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Which should i do first?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 08:59 PM
darksideofinfinite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which should i do first?

Should i upgrade to like all aluminum before i get a brushless motor? Or should i get a brushless motor first.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:01 PM
CadillacDTS2001

Default RE: Which should i do first?

that is the dumbest question
its your own decision .
why are you asking other people to make choices for you
Old 01-08-2007, 09:55 PM
darksideofinfinite

well its just im sorta new and im not sure what to do.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:56 PM
CadillacDTS2001

Great feature of RCU . its a search button at the top left of every screen
Old 01-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Racing T

you say all aluminum because of the durability before getting a brushless or what? what car?
Old 01-08-2007, 10:10 PM
darksideofinfinite

yeah the durability. o and it is the mini quake srry i didnt say that. im just wondering if i should go aluminum because when i get my brushless im not sure really how fast the truck will get going and how the plastic will hold up with the speed.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:59 PM
savvy-racer

hey eyekandyboats.inc, he just asked a question and you don't have to be such a d!ckhead about it. you dont have to answer him if you dont want too. people like you needed to get kick out of the forum.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:35 PM
Bashnbreakalot

I would say it depends on what you would have the most fun with first and bucks are a consideration also.
You could get the BL and replace parts as you break them or can afford them or you could build up your AL parts using your stock motor and switch over when you're ready.
The BL setup can be had for around $120.00, see Bishop power products but your AL parts could run you into several hundred dollars depending on how far you want to go.
So I guess it's a question of speed over bling- you decide.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:51 AM
TheArsonist21

It also all depends on what terrain you plan to run in? Street a lot, or like a lot of dirt and jumps?
Old 01-09-2007, 02:14 PM
KRO

If you get the brushless system you will need to upgrade the drive train (CVD's , spur gear , pinion gear) . Everything else is really not needed . The extra weight does make it a little more stable at high speeds .
Old 01-09-2007, 07:09 PM
darksideofinfinite

alright thx and it is on off road and jumping and stuff like that.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Haulin Azz

go brushless first, then fix what breaks
Old 01-09-2007, 07:15 PM
HangGlide

I just got my MLST for Christmases and I'm probably going to stick with the stock motors/electronics for a while. I'm upgrading several of the body parts to aluminum though. I plan on upgrading the drive train as it wears out or breaks. Eventually, when the stock speed/performance starts to get boring I'll go brushless.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:47 PM
RcFlyer10X

I would go aluminum first. I was thinking the same thing you are for my RC18B and i was thinking it would be great to get brushless for it but if i hit something at 35-45 MPH the plastic parts probably won't hold up as well as aluminum. I went ahead and got the aluminum upgrade kit and i think i am going to upgrade my radio next seeing as it is only AM. Then i will get the brushless motor and speed control with lipo's.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:02 PM
mdh1979

Hey everyone. I know this is my first post here but after reading how eyekandyboats.inc replied to darksideofinfinite, i just gotta say:

Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. We encourage the free flow of your ideas, but believe that they can be communicated (and received) much more effectively if you keep things civil. If you have to vent, take it offline. We carefully monitor posts and will ban individuals who engage in offensive conduct within the forums. Thanks.

Matt
Old 01-10-2007, 07:33 AM
IamDisaster

It is best to drive awhile and see what "feels" like it needs upgrading. That is the most cost effective way to upgrade. For example if you find you are always snapping a-arms...you might consider upgrading to aluminum on them...only.

I usually end up upgrading to brushless after giving the original motor a beating. Brushless will give you longer runtimes, less motor maintenance and more power. It can be as inexpensive as $80 dollars to upgrade to brushless if you go with the Ebay ESC and a CoboltB motor from Tower.

If you are just starting out one of the best upgrades can be a Lithium battery and decent charger. Dropping a 7.4V lithium battery in your car will give it a nice boost (over 6 volts) and nice long runtimes. A 2S lithium for a mini can be found for as cheap as $25. A decent charger that will do LiPoly and NiMh will cost about $80 but I've seen 500mA LiPoly-only wall chargers for $20 bucks. This will also set you up nicely for the upgrade to brushless. When you feel the need for more power you can pick up a 3S 11 volt lipoly.