Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

RC18T Drag Link

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 07:19 PM
jaymac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC18T Drag Link

I just got my Drag link for my RC18T and have had problems getting to work smoothly as it hardly turned at all when I used the radio:

Problem 1) the collar on ball stud would not go into the drag link holes as supposed to so I took the DP website advice and took some of the ball stud collar off and it now goes into the holes 9still a little tight though.

Problem 2) It was hard to see but it looked like the draglink might have just touched the underpart of the sub chassis, so to be safe I sanded a little of the drag link surface

Problem 3) when I tighten the ball stud so that the gap between the drag link and the ball cup is minimal (as per sample on the DP website) the whole thing it so tight the servo cant move it. When I loosed it off so that it is free to move, the ball stud comes out to far and on opposite lock (see red circle in attached image) the ball cup hits the diff case.

It seems to go ok when I run it but if it stationary its very tight and is hard to turn the steering. Maybe I need to tale some more off the ball stud collar so it move more freely when inside the drag link?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46225.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	597992  
Old 01-15-2007, 06:54 AM
abjones413

Default RE: RC18T Drag Link

jaymac - mine seemed a bit stiff upon installation as well. It worked itself in nicely after a couple minutes driving, but it is still not as free-moving as the stock setup. That's why it's better than the stock setup though; NO play at all, rather than the super-sloppy stock setup. Your picture looks good though. It's installed correctly.
I suggest you take the link off and apply grease in it where there is any contact, then re-install. Remember, there is always more stress on the servo when the car is not moving. Don't turn the wheel too much while stationary as this will strain the servo and possibly damage it, ESPECIALLY with a tight link.
Don't modify the link any further, or it may not do what it's supposed to...
Old 01-15-2007, 04:28 PM
jaymac

ORIGINAL: abjones413

jaymac - mine seemed a bit stiff upon installation as well. It worked itself in nicely after a couple minutes driving, but it is still not as free-moving as the stock setup. That's why it's better than the stock setup though; NO play at all, rather than the super-sloppy stock setup. Your picture looks good though. It's installed correctly.
I suggest you take the link off and apply grease in it where there is any contact, then re-install. Remember, there is always more stress on the servo when the car is not moving. Don't turn the wheel too much while stationary as this will strain the servo and possibly damage it, ESPECIALLY with a tight link.
Don't modify the link any further, or it may not do what it's supposed to...
Thanks, the grease is a good idea. The actual picture is from the driven pro website ( I just used it to show where the ball cups were hitting) but it is the same setup as I have done, the only thing that is different on mine is that the gap between the ball cup and the drag link is more than in their image (their's seems to be almost hard against the drag link) and my having it further away from the drag link, it hits the diff case!
Old 01-15-2007, 11:18 PM
abjones413

I didn't think that was your rig dude, but I didn't want to say anything. I know you have the sweet FT kit you built yourself with the black t/c wheels and yellow body.

There's always a possibility that the tabs on the opposite side of the link (opposite the ball stud holes) could be putting pressure on the steering assembly. Could've been a machining error on the steering assembly or link itself. Either way, the grease should do the trick, along with just driving it. Things should settle into place. Tighten the ball studs just snug, not super tight, making sure the tie-rod end (turnbuckle in your case) isn't putting pressure on the drag link. Backing them off shouldn't be necessary.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:32 PM
jaymac

ORIGINAL: abjones413

I didn't think that was your rig dude, but I didn't want to say anything. I know you have the sweet FT kit you built yourself with the black t/c wheels and yellow body.

There's always a possibility that the tabs on the opposite side of the link (opposite the ball stud holes) could be putting pressure on the steering assembly. Could've been a machining error on the steering assembly or link itself. Either way, the grease should do the trick, along with just driving it. Things should settle into place. Tighten the ball studs just snug, not super tight, making sure the tie-rod end (turnbuckle in your case) isn't putting pressure on the drag link. Backing them off shouldn't be necessary.
Thanks again for the info - much appreciated! I was wondering if i got the alloy steering assembly would that help make it a smoother operation! I also received my driven pro gear cover today in the post today along with an alloy 56t spur [>:]
Attached Images