Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

mini-t or mini baja

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 10:00 PM
DS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mini-t or mini baja

hi, i just need to know wether to buy the mini-t or mini baja. can you guys tell me which truck is better and why i should get it.
Thanks
Old 06-25-2007, 10:12 PM
maxxdout

Default RE: mini-t or mini baja

The mini-baja is more leaned towards sand and the mini-t, dirt racing.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:53 AM
nitro _ burner

ORIGINAL: maxxdout

The mini-baja is more leaned towards sand and the mini-t, dirt racing.
I dont know whay alot of people think this. theyre exactly the same except for the body and the mini b has two sets of tires and some extra goodies.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:29 AM
pie717

OMG UR ALL DUMB!! The mini baja is a mini-t with 100$ of upgrades on it. It's worth having to get the ugly body. I've had both and no matter what I do the mini-t is never better than the baja. GET THE BAJA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also the mini-t's transmitter is as cheap as hell. The baja one can change from 6 different channels without extra cyristals.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:45 PM
lookyj

I've purchased each of Team Losi's Mini T line...

Mini T, Mini Baja, and Mini T Pro.

each model has it's advantages and disadvantages, depending on budget and what type of driving you intend to do.

yes, the Baja does have a lot of the upgrades (bearings, shocks, seperate electronics). However, I found the stock electronics are junk. The synchronized system is full of interference. I ended up upgrading my Baja to BL with Mamba 25 and 8000. however, there is so much interference with the transmitter the car would take off with out touching the controls. I ended up having to change out the TX/RX.

if you have the money, the best bet is the Mini T Pro, with Mamba 25 and BL motor. You'll also need to get a TX and RX.

If budget is a concern, then get the Mini T, upgrade to 7.4v LiPo, and you got a fun little car for around $125.

personally, I would stay away from the Mini Baja. For the same price you can get a Mini T Pro, however it is NOT "Ready To Run," and will have to spend some extra cash to get it running.

I think the stock Mini T electronics are much better then the stock Mini Baja electronics.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:48 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: lookyj
I think the stock Mini T electronics are much better then the stock Mini Baja electronics.

I think you are the first person I have ever seen post that they like the stock Mini-T electronics over the stock Mini-Baja electronics.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:56 PM
lookyj

for bashing around the neighborhood, I've found the stock electronics has less interference on the mini t then the mini baja. The mini baja has a synthesized signal which allows for changing the channels at the press of a button rather then swapping crystals, but I've found to be a weaker signal.

just sharing my experience and opinion...
Old 06-26-2007, 10:33 PM
pie717

YOUR ALL WRONG!!! THE BAJA ELECTRONICS WHOP ASS COMPARED TO THE MINI-T'S IN EVERY WAY!!!
Old 06-27-2007, 07:14 AM
nitro _ burner

ORIGINAL: pie717

YOUR ALL WRONG!!! THE BAJA ELECTRONICS WHOP ASS COMPARED TO THE MINI-T'S IN EVERY WAY!!!
Dude, you need to calm down a bit. But thanks for the input about the electronics.
Personally i think the Baja dominates over the mini t.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:05 AM
CARCOH

I was in the same position you were about a month ago. I ended up with the Baja because of the bearings and the seperate electronics. I actually like the Baja body and you can mount a regular Mini body on it as well (you just have to remove the mounting post extensions at the rear of the truck) The steering servo does have a lot of chatter but we haven't had any functionality problems with the steering as of yet and its taken some pretty decent tumbles and landed some hard jumps as well.

In the last three weeks we've purchased additional wheels (actually modified the rear gold wheels with nobbies to mount on the front), also bought wide front wheels with ribbed tires on them, upgraded the battery to a 1400mah which makes an incredible difference and I had to relace the planetary gears in the transmission (my son loves to do donuts on black top). If your going to bash it I really encourage you to pick up an RPM wide front bumper, ($6)...when you run into something your actually going to hit it with the bumper first as opposed to the tires. My LHS suggested the dual slipper clutch as a way to protect the transmission and since we've installed that I have had no additional problems with the planetary gears.

I would say the Baja gets you the most bang for the buck out of the box and then you can pick and choose how you upgrade it from there. It was the seperate electronics and the ball bearings that sold me on it.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:00 AM
lookyj

pie,

this is a forum for people to share their opinions and experiences, with that being said....
opinions are just that.... opinions.

opinions can't be wrong, different sure, but not wrong!

thanks!
Old 06-27-2007, 01:24 PM
mirage-twin

even if the mini baja's radio is worse you can simply take out the radio and get a good one for $50, after owning a stock mini-t you will find that the esc and especially the servo are horrible, you will melt the electronics very soon if you don't get wheel bearings and the friction shocks will drive you crazy.

all in all, to make the baja a good reliable car you get a new radio $50 and maybe a new servo $10-$20....mini-t needs bearings, battery pack, oil shocks, esc, servo, motor.. its just not worth it.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:51 PM
lookyj

I've been running, my stock mini-t electronics with 7.4v Lipo and Insane 370 motor for several months and have never had an issue with melting the electronics. I've even run through 3 packs, back to back in one session. Sure the stuff was toasty but I've never fried anything.

these little trucks can take some pretty good abuse, my mini t was run over by a car one day and the only damage was a front shock tower, front bulkhead, and kickplate.

I've found there is one basic rule to most of this stuff..

You get what you PAY for

for $99 you get a $99 truck... (mini t)

for $149 you get a $149 buggy.. (mini baja)

either way, out of the box they need a few modifications.

to make the baja a good reliable car you get a new radio $50 and maybe a new servo $10-$20
if you plan on getting a new radio and servo you might want to think about getting the mini t pro.
for the same price as the baja you get DD Slipper, Ball Diff, MIP CVD's, on top of the bearings and oil filled shocks. However, you don't get the battery pack or charger either... but you should be using LiPo's!
Old 06-27-2007, 09:08 PM
JC_Dirtdog

I have had my mini Baja for almost a year now, and I have found out a few things...

1. The stock oil shocks LEAK, I had to refill them about once every two weeks or so.
2. there is some interference in the radio system, the motor "chatters" some when the car is stopped, but it has NO EFFECT on the range or performance of the radio system. I haven't had any issues with it going out of control or anything.
3. I had to send my car back to losi about a month after I got it because the motor went out, but it was totally my fault..... I drove it through a puddle at full speed.... needless to say water and electricity don't mix, LOL They fixed it free under warranty and I had it back within a week.

All things considered, the Baja is much better than the stock mini-t. I had a mini-t about 4 years ago and I had to put like $150 into it (bearings, shocks, Losi speed motor, radio and ESC) to get it the same as the mini Baja is stock. The Baja is a much better choice than the mini-t. Make sure you replace the leaky stock shocks though, and you will be happy with the Baja for years to come. Here is a pic of mine with the GPM aluminum shocks on it.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36318.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	712604