Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

I'm getting a rc18mt...want to know some backgound and futureproofing info

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

I'm getting a rc18mt...want to know some backgound and futureproofing info

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 10:29 PM
scheibler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm getting a rc18mt...want to know some backgound and futureproofing info

I'm looking to buy a new or used rc18mt. I eventually plan to upgrade to the one of the mamba brushless options or orion baja motor and possibly switch out the reciever/radio for a traxxas tq3.

What parts are weak and need to be upgraded to accept brushless in this car or just make it durable in general?

I also know the importance of investing in a good battery...what would you recommend?

What are some good upgrades to do out of the box?

thnx guys!
Old 10-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Specialzed
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: I'm getting a rc18mt...want to know some backgound and futureproofing info

mamba max? good luck there bro
Old 10-19-2007, 11:26 PM
scheibler

Default RE: I'm getting a rc18mt...want to know some backgound and futureproofing info

lol oops not the mamba max, but the mamba 1/18 scale brushless or orion baja motor
Old 10-20-2007, 12:16 AM
calvino

um, people recomend the Carbide Diff balls for the tranny's if you age going brushless, um, better tires, the stock ones are fine but after a while start to wear down and loose grip (if you run on the street alot), weak parts, I can't think of any except for the diff gears, if they get dirty or are not properly aligned, it will wear down to nothing very fast. You will also need a bobcat, a jack hammer, a few grand and some big property to make a GIANT track ([sm=teeth_smile.gif]), other than that, ok, one last thingie, if you are going to run it stock for a while, pick up a better charger for the battery and an extra pack of body clips, other than that, you are good to go[8D]
Old 10-20-2007, 09:49 AM
scheibler

Lol my track is going to be in my basemen. Its big enough to run my stampede so I plan on making a sick track out of carpet since my basement isn't finished and NO ONE even goes down there
Old 10-20-2007, 02:33 PM
rschoi_75

no need for brushless if its going to be a basement runner.

- You don't really need the carbide diff balls either. It does make your diffs a lot smoother, but for a bashing truck, its not needed. They are more for racers who want extra smooth diffs. Shims on the other hand are definitely recommended. The number you will need per diff varies with each individual truck. so buy a pack and use trial and error. 1 additional shim on each diff (for a total of 3 on each) is a good starting point. Then add/subtract shims as needed.

- Put a small washer under each ball stud on the steering knuckles. This will reduce bump-steer.
- get a metal clip for the servo saver.
- Upgrade to cvd's if you can. If not, remember than the small springs in most ball point pens can be used to replace the springs keeping the dogbones in. So if you loose a dogbone spring, raid the pencil box.
- Remember that most Alloy parts are for show... only a few parts actually add to the performance of the truck. Be very picky about what alloy parts you guy... unless its going to be a show truck. The only alloy parts I would get are the front shock tower, rear hubs, front knuckles and c-hubs.

I know there are lots more little tweaks you can do, but I can't remember anymore off the top of my head. I'll add more if I remember.