Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Is the Mini Inferno Half 8 crap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 06:27 PM
markhat250

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Mini Inferno Half 8 crap?

I've heard a few say that this 1/16 scale buggy is no good. Then the guy at my LHS says "are you serious"!! I am tempted to buy one because they are so cheap right now. I have a Vendetta ST, but thought I'de branch out a little. Just so you know....I am not a land speed crazy speed guy. I am strickly track. My top speeds may get up to 15mph max. I just want handeling and torque. Will the stock motor do it? Thanks!!
Old 11-09-2007, 06:48 PM
ferrarimk13

Default RE: Is the Mini Inferno Half 8 crap?

well, youll definitely need to buy a rechargeable battery pack, because using AA's suck, and you can always change the motor to a Reedy Max 17-turn or 19 turn, and itll be a lot better in all the categories.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:13 PM
markhat250

I already have LiPo's laying around, so sure.

So what can is this motor? A 540 that would fit in a 1/10 scale?
Old 11-09-2007, 10:09 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theyre great cars, very underpowered stock though. Excellent geometry, 3 good diffs, very well built. Loads better than something like the mini-T, which is barely acceptable in terms of quality.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:50 PM
rschoi_75

agreed. Underpowered in stock form, but can be made into a serious racer. The major cons of the rtr H8 are the motor, AA batteries, and rx/esc all-in-one unit. All those should be replaced before any serious track time. Also, if your track is strict about rules, the H8 may not be allowed to run with the rest of the mini's. They are great r/c's if you take the time and effort to upgrade it.

The stock top speed is 13-14mph on an even surface (w/ AA batts). If you keep your H8 light, then a simple Graupner speed 400 (using a 3.2mm shaft and 1/10th pinions) and a nimh saddle pack will get you the speeds you want.

Other good upgrades:
- KM chassis
- 3-Racing slipper (not needed if you buy the KM chassis)
- cvd's
- mini inferno 09 oil filled diffs
Old 11-10-2007, 02:16 AM
markhat250

I guess most rtr electronics are mediocre at best. That doesn't have much to do with the actual inherant nature of the car though. That's what I really should be asking.

Does it handle good, like say compared to a Vendetta?
Are parts accessible? Through who?
Is it durable?

From the online pix and just talk, it really seems to be an unreal car, but I don't really hear that from people. That's also what I was hoping for too Maybe someone to rave about it.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:51 AM
dr_kabuboo

See this thread: [link=http://www.uk-microrc.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=9358]Inferno racer project[/link]

The stock Half 8 is pretty slow and with all the moving parts of the car can break easily when you start upgrading to faster motors. The thread above discusses how you can turn it into a race capable buggy and it has massive potential. This past weekend at the UK nationals a KMRC Inferno got the FTD in mod class and started the A final on pole amongst a field of Vendetta's and RC18's. He eventually finished 3rd on the podium because of a crash so they are certainly capable in the right hands.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:59 PM
rschoi_75

you can also get lots of info here.

http://halfeight.com/