Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

CEN ME16MT review by Wheelnut

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:17 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEN ME16MT review by Wheelnut

First of all it was packed pretty well with thick strong cardboard.
Upon opening the box you will find the truck, DSX Radio, 1800Mah NICD battery, wall charger, one allen wrench, one wheel and slipper nut wrench and the manual.
The manual is done very nice. Nice layout (Some color), very explanatory and detailed with plenty of parts explosions and part numbers. Very clear illustrations. GREAT JOB HERE!
While examining the truck itself the first thing I noticed was that it is the biggest 1/16th scale I have ever seen with a wheel base of 7.48" and a width of 10.47" and a ground clearance of 1.26". It dwarfs my old MLST.
The DSX rado is pretty nice. Definitely better than most stock radios that come with RTR's. Lots more trim to play with.
The battery compartment is in a very good place on the bottom of the chassis. But it is flush with the bottom tucked away inside. The center of gravity is very low, However the compartment door could have been designed a litlte more easy to open. You have to take out two screws to get the compartment door open. The screws are very nice and heavy duty though. Two clips or something would have been nice here.
The shocks feel very nice, not too thin or thick oil was installed. I am guessing around 40wt to 50wt. Very smooth shock action.
The body looks pretty cool and I like it. Nice colors and it's pretty strong. I am kind of getting tired of seeing spoilers on the back of all RC's so it was refreshing.
The wheels and tires are not much to talk about, but then again what RTR wheels and tires are? I am however very glad it is 4WD. This is also a must for a modern Mini.
The slipper clutch has a nice feature. In the middle of the slipper cover is a plastic nut like cover that can be taken right out with a twist, it is very secure though. After this nut like cover is taken off the slipper can be adjusted without taking the whole cover out. See Below.
The electronics are standard RTR stuff with an esc that will only handle down to a 17T double wind or a 19T single wind. I haven't asked about the stock motor but I am guessing it is somewhere beteween a 19T and 23T motor. The ME16MT houses a standard size servo which makes upgrading to a strong servo easy. The stock servo works fine so far but it's nothing to write home about. Kind of noisy and slow.
All of the suspension looks pretty beefy and is pretty flexible also so hopefully breaking stuff won't happen too often. I am however very dissapointed to find that they didn't atleast put a full set of bearings in the truck. Instead there is bushings. Come on CEN get with the program. Every RTR should at least come with bearings.
I cycled the stock NICD battery 5 times while I was at work today, I came home to find that the Stock 1800mah NICD had only charged up to 1300mah. With the advancement of technology in batteries today a 2400mah battery would have been cheap enough for CEN to have included a slightly better battery. NICD is a NO NO for a modern RTR.

So for the first test run I wanted everything bare bones stock. So we (my 8 year old son and I) popped the stock battery in and headed outside with truck and vid cam in hand.
The radio synced up with the esc very quickly and was ready to go. The first thing I noticed while performing the initial check was that the steering EPA was tured down, so my first task was to turn it up. Operating the radio was not so intuitive. But I have been around for a while so after several minutes I figured it out. When all else fails "read the manual" Then I noticed that the steering servo saver was set too loose, so I tightened that and we were off.
The truck ran pretty smooth and at a decent pace. It definitley handled the grass and bumps better than any mini I have had yet, and I have had most of them. However it was not powerfull enough to pull a wheelie with out reversing first. The truck took the jumps just fine and after several flips and cart wheels there was no cracks or breaks.
After several passes and jumps the NICD wore down pretty quick. So we went inside and grabbed a NIMH 3300pack. With the new battery the truck's power jumped about 30%. IT was noticeably faster.
Over all I give this truck 7 out of 10 out of the box satisfaction.
The best news is, it has pleanty of potential. The first thing I am going to do is put a Duratrax 12T modified Intelispeed esc and a 12T Phantom motor that I have laying around. I am sure this is going to push this truck to the extreme. At this point I will be able to ride the edge between fast and disaster.
I also have a set of 2.8 wheels and tires coming. I feel that slightly larger tires will do this truck some justice.
Here are the links to the vids, the first one is with the stock battery and the second one is with the better battery.
I left the videos raw with no music so you could hear how the truck sounds when it runs. Something the manufactures won't do.

http://rcuvideos.com/item/DD6L4M8GGJRNGR5G

http://rcuvideos.com/item/HZ18818QD5Q0NMWP

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52442.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	914502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61989.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	914503   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va70838.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	914504   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz76256.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	914505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi61196.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	914506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xn88553.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	914507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oq21249.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	914508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zy82872.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	914509  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca52354.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	914510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tf39852.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	914511  
Old 03-27-2008, 06:18 AM
nitro _ burner

Default RE: CEN ME16MT review by Wheelnut

THANK YOU!! looks good to me! i still want one!!! PLEASE post a vid of it with the other motor and speedy. the other battery was deffinitly faster!!

THANK YOU!!
Old 03-27-2008, 06:22 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice review [&:]
Old 03-27-2008, 06:36 AM
Wheelnut

Thanks guys,
nitro_burner, you should still want one. lol
Although the truck is not mind blowing out of the box, it has some serious potential and I plan to unlock that potential. Upgrades and vids coming soon.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:40 AM
nitro _ burner

Yeh, i was looking past the shatty stock parts at its potential!

Is it a all metal drive train?
Old 03-27-2008, 08:31 PM
Wheelnut

Duratrax intelispeed 12T modified esc installed and Phantom 12T modified motor installed. I was pretty busy today and I just got them put in. Sorry but its dark outside and my camera man (my 8 year old son) is in bed. I couldn't wait and I ran it for a short run on the carpet and MAN!! Whoa It is going to be very fast. I put 1/2 throttle on her ahd she did a back flip. I can't wait to run her outside and put up a vid for you guys. You are going to be impressed. Now we will se how the diffs hold up. BTW I think the diffs are plastic.
Tomorrow is PM showers so I don't know about that. Saturday is mostly sunny so that looks promising.

Name:	Ec87334.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	915276  
Old 03-28-2008, 06:02 AM
nitro _ burner

GREAT! i cant wait!! BTW how is the stock servo? any good??
Old 03-28-2008, 07:40 AM
Wheelnut

I give the stock servo a 7 out of 10 for a RTR. The main reason for this is the fact that it works, it's not fast or strong but it can be easily upgraded to a strong standard servo and it shouldn't cost much. After all, how strong of a servo do you need for a 1/16 scale
Old 03-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Dokioto

Nice review.. I am much more impressed with the Nitro version though.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Wheelnut

ORIGINAL: Dokioto

Nice review.. I am much more impressed with the Nitro version though.
Thanks for the comp
It's the same truck except one is electric and one is nitro. If you are talking about speed, wait till you see the vid of the upgrade motor. I will put mine up against a Nitro M16 anyday lol
Old 03-28-2008, 04:41 PM
Wheelnut

First run with upgraded esc, motor and CBP 3300mah battery is complete and here is the results and the vid.
WOW!! WOW!!WOW!! I never got it up to full speed. This little bugger is smokin now. Pulls wheelies with the touch of your finger. Wheelie bar on order. I will have to take it to a larger field near our house soon to get the full speed vid. There is a 300% gain in power and speed. The motor and esc were barely warm. It handles nicely and runs great. The diffs seem to be handeling it fine so far. At the end of the video you will see me smack a cross tie and break the right front lower A-arm and bend the right front dogbone. OUCH[:@] Now I'm down till my parts come in. Good thing we have two E-Maxx's to keep up the fun. 700 Kershaw kits going in both this weekend. But that will be another thread.
This is a whole new truck with the three upgrades. I am very glad I bought it, I can tell it's going to be lots of fun.

http://rcuvideos.com/item/HRTC4Q7G353GGGYW

Name:	Fd90587.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	915876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68350.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	915877  
Old 03-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Frozen72

Nice you should get a better jump...
Old 03-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Dokioto

ORIGINAL: Frozen72

Whats wrong with the one in the vid?

With that new motor, you see a whole new truck
Old 03-28-2008, 08:19 PM
Wheelnut

ORIGINAL: Dokioto

ORIGINAL: Frozen72

Whats wrong with the one in the vid?

With that new motor, you see a whole new truck
I guess you are joking, but just to clarify, I am saying it feels like a whole new truck with the new upgrades.
The A-arms are on order and should be here next Teusday or Wednesday. So the project is down till then.

I was however thinking about adding some better looking shocks but I am not sure what will fit. The shocks are 90mm center to center fully extended and 65mm center to center fully compressed. If anyone knows of some shocks from other trucks fit this description then there may be aluminum shocks out for that truck already.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Frozen72

A smoother jump would give you more height and control.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:40 PM
Wheelnut

I totally agree, but I really don' have that kind of time to build one.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Frozen72

I just use a big dirt pile and dig it out and have 2 jumps in one, one for height and one for distance.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Wheelnut

That would be cool but I can't do that in our community. Someday this summer when I get the time I will build one.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:54 PM
Frozen72

Do you have any pictures of it without the body and next to any other cars?
Old 03-28-2008, 10:01 PM
HpiDrifter420

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice truck now maybe ill grab the rally one for my wife. i wasnt to sure how these would be but looks good. that new motor and esc really make a differnce
Old 03-28-2008, 10:24 PM
Wheelnut

Frozen72, here is a link to some very good pictures of the truck with the body off. I want to take a picture of it next to something in it's own class and I don't have anything else to put it next to right now. I will go to the local hobby shop and ask my buddy to let me take a picture of it next to something he may have in stock or laying around.
http://www.cenracing.com/censports/me16mt.html

HpiDrifter420, I wouldn't get the rally one if I were you. I would get the MT and buy the rally tires seperate. You can put the rally tires on whenever you want, but still have the added benefit of having more ground clearance of the MT when you want or need it.
Yes the new esc and motor woke this little baby up. I would still be driving it if I had of been watching where I was going[:@]
Old 03-28-2008, 10:30 PM
HpiDrifter420

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my wife wants the rally one and we have a few MT's that have all the ground clearance we need. she just wants something small for the street infront of our house. how much was the motor and esc?
Old 03-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Wheelnut

You have a few MT's??
You can get the esc for 64.99 from towerhobbes.
I can't find the Phantom motor anymore and that's a shame because it's been a really good motor.
Here is a decent deal I found on an Epic 12T. I have had good luck with Epic motors before. I knew guys that used to race Epic motors.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJNG1&P=ML

for a couple more bucks this looks like a better dea.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Associated-LRP-V...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-30-2008, 05:27 AM
nitro _ burner

When you fit it can you post a few more bashing vids? i would love to see how it handles bigger jumps and dirt tracks!!

So how much would it cost for a setup similar to yours? or even one a bit better? also, how long do the 1/10 brushed motors last before the brushes need replacing/it needs maintance?? Im trying to weigh up the diff. between BL and brushed...
Old 03-30-2008, 10:02 AM
Wheelnut

nitro_burner,
There aren't any dirt tracks near me so I really can't post any vids of it on a dirt track, however I have been on quite a few dirt tracks in the past and I can tell you that this truck will handle a dirt track wonderfully. The low center of gravity and 4 wheel drive carries it well. I will set up a higher jump, but not much higher because I am not the type of guy to put my stuff through that kind of torture lol.
The cost is not hard to figure out. You can get the ME16MT on ebay for $165.00 plus $17.50 shipping, so that's $182.50 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CEN-Racing-ME16-...QQcmdZViewItem

Motor LRP V10 12T double $37.00 shipped
http://cgi.ebay.com/Associated-LRP-V...QQcmdZViewItem

ESC DuraTrax IntelliSpeed 12T Modified Reverse ESC $69.00 shipped
http://cgi.ebay.com/DuraTrax-Intelli...QQcmdZViewItem

A 540 brushed motor in this truck will last a long time because even though it is big for a 1/16th scale, it's still smaller than a 1/10th scale. Plus, brushes are cheap. This little truck does not need brushless, unless you just want it. The 12T Phantom I have in there already pushes it beyond it's limits.
Here is a pic of the ME16MT next to a 1/10 scale buggy.

Name:	Hf98085.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	917388  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.