Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Mini Drifters?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 01:38 AM
WackoWasko

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mini Drifters?

How many of you have mini-drifters and what do you do to them to make them competition ready? Should I get a torquey motor, or a high-revving low turn?
Old 06-27-2008, 09:09 AM
rongallant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mini Drifters?

I would be interested as well. I have a rc18r and would like to drift it.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:14 PM
peelin_out

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not big into drifting, but have done some with my 18R... the ideal sitch would be to get some drifting tires (you can find them at thetoyz .com) for the 18R but you can use electrical tape on the "stockers" if you're on a budget.. I have not done that but I know people who have and they say it works well! I was able to drift really well with my 18R on a smooth kind of dusty cement garage floor without anything special, with my 3racing wheels/tires, stock electronics... granted that's probably not what you'll be racing on during a competition, but anyways.. I am not sure what competition ready means really, what qualifications are needed there..

going brushless is nice, if you have the $ because you get more rpms with less power cost, and just more raw power at the wheels in general, which I have found makes drifting a lot easier.. going brushless also opens up a wider range of more powerful batteries to choose from because the esc's are generally much heartier than the stock esc.. I can drift my 18r on smooth asphalt with my 6800 motor and either of my lipos... that's on normal rubber tires, but it's a /very/ smooth and uniform area of asphalt, and it's kind of dusty also, which helps break traction a lot. I think drifting tires would enable you to drift the car on much rougher surfaces..
Old 06-27-2008, 02:02 PM
WackoWasko

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm well I'm actually going to try it with my 540 Micro RS4, so I'm thinking either a 27t or a 19t should suffice. If I have to, I'll break out my low turn mods, but I think that might be overkill for drifting.