Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 07:46 PM
cdlowe30907
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!!

Got my Hobbywing esc w/ program card. soldered deans connector. Tried setting up the esc, was faster in reverse. swapped motor wires and it took off. Clocked it at 29mph witha 2 cell lipo 20c 1500mah. I figured not to bad. Will try running 2- 2cells in parallel this weekend maybe? Have a set of Proline beadlocks with Dirt hawgs but swapped back to stock wheels.Thinking about putting up tires/wheels for sale on RCU.  Also swapped out shock springs for tan and black. Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks
Old 11-23-2010, 09:03 PM
cooldriver385

Anybody heard of the Tenbol big block motor plate? Apparently you are able to mount 1/10 scale systems into this thing.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:51 PM
gforce2448
My Feedback: (12)

Cooldriver, those havebeen out a while. The one place you can get them is The Toyz but they are out of stock. You have to keep checking back. I happend to get one on Ebay last week for $20, but haven't installed it yet. I am running a 1/10 MMP ESCwith the stock VXL motor. But planning to go all 1/10 motor/ESC. Do a search on Youtube for Tenbol. You can see some Mini Revos with crazy speed. But beware, I've also heard you are bound to break something.

Cdlowe, Ihad a couple sets of beadlocs as well and went back to plastic wheels. Running various 2.2 tires on the dished rims. Iliked the beadlocs but it will take their toll on your stock axle carriers, plus reduce your top speed. But it should be easy to find a buyer for them, Isold mine very quickly. Not sure what else to suggest to you, it all depends on where you drive and what you wantyour Merv to do? The best thing is to scan through the previous pages of this forum.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:30 AM
J0EC00L
My Feedback: (3)

Cdlowe,

Good to see you got your merv running. A couple questions though: you went with deans connectors, why? The Traxxas are actually better and will allow more amps and volts according to research. Also, you were able to get to 29 mph on one 2s lipo? Sounds a little slower than stock which is 35 on one batt and supposedly 50 on two parallel.

Though, I may not be counting the fact that you may have aftermarket parts that weigh the merv down more. You should be pleased with two in parallel, but you might want to try a 3s lipo first. My experience with 3s lipos geared properly has put me in the high 40's with brief hits over 50 - that includes additional aftermarket parts that add a little more weight. Two 2s lipos in parallel gives you 4s and that should put you in mid 50's or faster. The stock nimhs in parallel are supposed to give you 50 and their voltage doesn't match two 2s lipos; we should assume it would make it faster.

Anyways, do some experimenting and see what works best for you. I generally enjoy running 3s and it gives plenty of speed with decent run times of about 30 mins.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:10 AM
cdlowe30907

This is for my 7 yr old son. After my 2 boys burnt up the stock esc running 4s series. Thats why I had to get the new esc. I changed the pinion down to 21 tooth. I want to have the capability of going faster just not for my kid. He could handle one 2 cell pretty good, just  keep popping wheelies. As far as why I went with the deans, the batteries I got with it already had deans and everything else I have has also got deans. I running the stock tire/wheels combo for now. I'm thinking about getting the white dish wheels/ buggy tires for it also. I believe my has the optional center diff. I dont have the money right now to buy a 3 cell. What type of 3 cell is being used?

For anyone who has the Hobbywing 35a esc, How is the program setup? Just wanting to see if mine matches. Thanks again to everyone for their help.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:28 AM
cooldriver385

ORIGINAL: J0EC00L

Two 2s lipos in parallel gives you 4s and that should put you in mid 50's or faster. The stock nimhs in parallel are supposed to give you 50 and their voltage doesn't match two 2s lipos; we should assume it would make it faster.

Anyways, do some experimenting and see what works best for you. I generally enjoy running 3s and it gives plenty of speed with decent run times of about 30 mins.

You mean two 2S Lipos in series, right?
Old 11-24-2010, 11:08 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: J0EC00L

Cdlowe,

Good to see you got your merv running. A couple questions though: you went with deans connectors, why? The Traxxas are actually better and will allow more amps and volts according to research. Also, you were able to get to 29 mph on one 2s lipo? Sounds a little slower than stock which is 35 on one batt and supposedly 50 on two parallel.

Though, I may not be counting the fact that you may have aftermarket parts that weigh the merv down more. You should be pleased with two in parallel, but you might want to try a 3s lipo first. My experience with 3s lipos geared properly has put me in the high 40's with brief hits over 50 - that includes additional aftermarket parts that add a little more weight. Two 2s lipos in parallel gives you 4s and that should put you in mid 50's or faster. The stock nimhs in parallel are supposed to give you 50 and their voltage doesn't match two 2s lipos; we should assume it would make it faster.

2S in parallel is still 2S
just the mAh add
2S in series = 4S which = fried electronics in this

only reason you can connect 2 NiMh in series is the lower voltage, and they have a much more significant voltage drop when under load.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:29 AM
J0EC00L

You all are right. I completely misspoke. Meant series. Series doubles the volts and parallel doubles the amps. Stupid me. I should right myself a ticket for being stupid.

Thanks for catching that. Don't know what I was thinking. Sorry for misinforming.

Cdlowe, I was hoping that was the case... After thinking about it long enough, I figured You were having it geared down and not wanting it a reckless speed demon rc.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:03 AM
cdlowe30907

The boys ran 2-2cell in series on the stock gearing and fried the esc. I geared it down trying to prevent any other type of failure. Money is tight and I'm trying to get all my non-running rcs up and running or get rid of them. I'm trying to make a parallel connector to try out this weekend. Like I stated before I got 29mph out of a single 2 cell with a 21t pinion. I'm not sure i have the Hobbywing esc setup for the best power possible. If anyone would care to share their setup with me, it would br greatly appreciated.

As far as speed demons, I have one I'm working on right now and having some problems with it right now. It going fairly fast and breaking stuff about every time its ran. I got 84mph out of it this past Sunday blowing a chunk out of one of the rear tires.  It is geared to go 92 to 95mph.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:40 AM
booh

what are your ezrun settings with the program card

if you put it like this and all check against mine

1-
2-
3-
4-
5-
6-
7-
8-
9-
Old 11-30-2010, 11:25 PM
grandkrawler

alright guys, I've been readin through this forum for awhile now while I've enjoyed my merv with 2 stock packs in parallel. I decided to go lipo and got 4 zippy flightmax 2200's (running 2 in parallel=4400mah). I'm noticing I'm only getting 10 or 12 minutes tops, and I know I should be around 30-45 at least. I'm charging the batteries with a multiplex ln-5014 charger. as far as the car setup goes, it is stock except for center diff kit and i put the 23tooth pinion on. the drivetrain turns smoothly and freely.

I'm not sure what is going on but I suspect either it's the esc or the batteries. I always use freshly charged packs but after 10 minutes or so I hit my low voltage cutoff/or failsafe and it goes to 50% power. I then have to charge the packs up again for another 10 minutes of runtime. What's weird to me is the fact that my charger is only putting 500 milliamps in the pack before it is charged and both packs seem to discharge pretty evenly. I know it is not my charger because I'm always charging my airplane packs just fine. I also doubt that it is going into thermal protection because it is only 30 degrees out and the esc isn't even warm after a run. this does this with all 4 of my batteries so I dont think it's them. maybe esc??
Old 12-01-2010, 03:51 AM
brianjskora

grandkrawler-

Are you using a balancer, I looked up your charger but it doesnt look like one is built in. You probably do have one since you said your plane packs work fine...

In parallel with 2200s you should get around 30 minutes minimum, unless you are just going full throttle a ton, maybe a little less.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:21 AM
honda2237

ORIGINAL: grandkrawler

alright guys, I've been readin through this forum for awhile now while I've enjoyed my merv with 2 stock packs in parallel. I decided to go lipo and got 4 zippy flightmax 2200's (running 2 in parallel=4400mah). I'm noticing I'm only getting 10 or 12 minutes tops, and I know I should be around 30-45 at least. I'm charging the batteries with a multiplex ln-5014 charger. as far as the car setup goes, it is stock except for center diff kit and i put the 23tooth pinion on. the drivetrain turns smoothly and freely.

I'm not sure what is going on but I suspect either it's the esc or the batteries. I always use freshly charged packs but after 10 minutes or so I hit my low voltage cutoff/or failsafe and it goes to 50% power. I then have to charge the packs up again for another 10 minutes of runtime. What's weird to me is the fact that my charger is only putting 500 milliamps in the pack before it is charged and both packs seem to discharge pretty evenly. I know it is not my charger because I'm always charging my airplane packs just fine. I also doubt that it is going into thermal protection because it is only 30 degrees out and the esc isn't even warm after a run. this does this with all 4 of my batteries so I dont think it's them. maybe esc??
i doubt its because of the fact their not balanced, try running a single pack at a time, and see what your run times are. when i was doing the same setup, i was getting around 45 minutes of run time. whats the motor temp? whats your driving style? Thats such a short runtime, i mean my brushless lst gets 25 minutes of hard bashing on a 5000mah battery.
Also, try discharging them on the charger if you can.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:24 PM
grandkrawler

Thanks for the info guys, and yeah I don't balance my packs at all. but I never have had a problem with it. the motor and speed controller are cool to the touch after running, due to the fact it's 30 degrees out. I dont have a super aggressive driving style just bashing around in construction yards and skateparks and playin in snow, (not deep powder, just packed roads so I can drift . I dont' really do high speed passes that often. I'll give running a single pack a shot and discharging them first, it does have a discharger. could it be the ambient temp somehow affecting the batteries?
Old 12-01-2010, 08:14 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Thanks for the info guys, and yeah I don't balance my packs at all. but I never have had a problem with it. the motor and speed controller are cool to the touch after running, due to the fact it's 30 degrees out. I dont have a super aggressive driving style just bashing around in construction yards and skateparks and playin in snow, (not deep powder, just packed roads so I can drift . I dont' really do high speed passes that often. I'll give running a single pack a shot and discharging them first, it does have a discharger. could it be the ambient temp somehow affecting the batteries?
bad idea
NEVER EVER discharge a lipo
also you should balance charge them at least once every 5-6 uses.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:54 AM
honda2237

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

bad idea
what do you think happens when you drive your truck, you discharge your lipo. Your fine discharging your lipo on a charger, as long as it is in lipo mode and properly setup, i use to do it on my ice charger all the time. The charger will help you see if its your batteries, or your truck.
Balancing your lipos are good, but not always needed on the smaller cell lipos, i never balanced my kokam lipos and i have them for over 2 years, and and i never noticed a drop in performance. Only one of them died because it was damaged when a battery strap broke and threw the lipo out of the truck. Still to this day, i can charge up that kokam and it works fine, and its over 3 years old, and i bought it used on ebay. now on the higher cell lipos, it is important to balance your lipos
Old 12-02-2010, 08:30 AM
grandkrawler

Thanks. Ive been into the hobby long enough to pick through the bs. I dont think my charger would have a lipo discharge setting if they weren't meant to be discharged. I havent gotten a chance to discharge em yet. But I will Soon.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:42 AM
grandkrawler

I have several 3s 2250 that are a year and a half old that have never been balanced and i still get 20 minutes of 3d Flying out of em. I have balanced my packs in the past before my balance charger broke and I did notice they had more power. I just don't think Its completely necessary. I may try balancing them if nothing else works.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:19 PM
grandkrawler

I just got done running my car with just 1 2200mah pack and I got about 7 minutes out of it before the esc gave me the blinking red light. I should get around 15 im thinking. I have the other pack on my charger discharging right now so well see what I come up with soon. I think brianjskora might be on to something with me not balancing them though. these are the first zippy's I've ever had so I dont know their characteristics.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:36 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: honda2237

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

bad idea
what do you think happens when you drive your truck, you discharge your lipo. Your fine discharging your lipo on a charger, as long as it is in lipo mode and properly setup, i use to do it on my ice charger all the time. The charger will help you see if its your batteries, or your truck.
Balancing your lipos are good, but not always needed on the smaller cell lipos, i never balanced my kokam lipos and i have them for over 2 years, and and i never noticed a drop in performance. Only one of them died because it was damaged when a battery strap broke and threw the lipo out of the truck. Still to this day, i can charge up that kokam and it works fine, and its over 3 years old, and i bought it used on ebay. now on the higher cell lipos, it is important to balance your lipos
Well I've discharged one to storage voltages only reason I did it was I knew I wouldn't get anytime to run it soon seeing the RC I had it in broke a c-hub 3 mins into its run. Which is pretty much the only reason to discharge a lipo on a charger is if you know won't be using it for 2+ weeks.

Other than that no. I've seen people post they hooked up their lipo hit discharge and discharged them to 0, and then wonder why their lipo won't charge...
There are other tests to see if its the battery.
A cheap voltmeter will tell you what the cells voltages are, and is way more reliable than discharging a pack on a charger.

And not balance charging lipos saves you what 10 mins off the charge time? IMO there is no real good reason not to balance every time 10 mins extra won't kill anyone.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:49 PM
grandkrawler

I know not to discharge them past a certain point but I'm just seeing how many mah the charger will take out of them before it cuts the discharge off. also I forgot to mention in my above post that my esc and motor were only barely warm after my 7 minute run.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:31 PM
grandkrawler

while searching for some info on the issue I ran across this http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...pro-5-5-a.html . I have 20c discharge packs (I thought that's what everybody ran) but also the cold may be affecting it.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:23 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

while searching for some info on the issue I ran across this http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...pro-5-5-a.html . I have 20c discharge packs (I thought that's what everybody ran) but also the cold may be affecting it.
Cold could do if from what I read in the past if they are cold enough
The batteries not putting enough power out is not your issue though IMO. Your packs are able to put out 44amps each if connected in parallel they can do almost 90amps
The VXL in the merv is 25A
I run 2 $7 2S 15c 1300 batteries in parallel in mine and they are working fine so far.

Personally I'd buy a cheap multimeter(one I use was $9) and get a voltage reading off the balance pins to make certain the cells voltages are ok. Looking how much the discharger discharges is not a very good way to tell, and will not tell you the individual cells voltages which is what matters.

Glad to know the zippies 2200s fit though gotta get me some
Old 12-02-2010, 05:47 PM
gforce2448
My Feedback: (12)

I have been running 2S lipos in my Merv for a while now and have had great run times and performance. Most of the times I just run them individually because I get a long run time. I have two cheaper Zippy Flightmax 2S 20C 1600mah and two Hyperion 2S 35C 1600mah. I have balance charged them every time as well. It doesn't take much longer and not that much more work imo. I haven't had any issues with the batteries being too cold.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:48 PM
grandkrawler

I didnt think there was a high chance of not getting enough power either, it was just another idea. I discharged 2050ma out of one battery on the charger and put roughly that back in. and the pack that ran the car for 7 minutes then hit cutoff took only 700ma. I know this isn't giving me each cell voltage but at least it lets me know the battery can be charged and discharged. I just ordered the thunder ac6 balance charger so I can start balancing my cells again (and no more running out to my truck for charging batteries!!!)
http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

I guess if I really wanted to see if it was the esc I could turn off the lipo cutoff mode and install an external cutoff and see if the same thing happens...
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPGM8&P=ML

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.