Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 10:16 PM
HardWyrd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!!

My ESC just stop working. about 4 weeks ago I was at the skate park i ran it for no more then 2 min. and then it just stop working. I send it to Traxxas and they shipped me a new one right out. I was down for like a week . I have to say GREAT customer service. Unlike HPI I've been waiting  2 week for a part on my new savage xl.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:34 AM
cobra26

My 1/16th E-Revo has been run 3-4 days per week with multiple runs each time since late June. I run the stock batteries (1200mAh NiMh), 1600mAh 2S1P, and 2200mAh 2S1P batteries. Sometimes I run one of the batteries, but more often than not I run 2 in parallel for the longer run times. I have the series connector, but have not found the need or desire to use it. Anyway, my point is that I have broken nothing since I've owned it (body is getting a little beat up) and I have never had an ESC failure. The ESC does get hot, but has never failed or quit on me. In what has to be nearly 200 or more runs, I have absolutely no complaints with this little gem. I run on the beach, a skate park, a BMX track, and the street, and I have found it to be highly reliable and dependable. I love it!
Old 10-28-2009, 09:13 AM
03cobraguy

ready for carpet racing at Larrys rc this winter... with its twin...

Old 10-28-2009, 04:17 PM
revo_sbs
My Feedback: (23)

Looks good nice job.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:52 PM
piddlefoot
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Faster is better 3s lipo all the way !
You can run two 7.4v lipo in series as well , even faster , but it risks damaging servo and reciever, but it will cop it for a fast run or two if u get into drag racing ! boy is it fast series lipo 7.2v 7.4v .
The 11.1 is a must but !
Old 10-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Vexorg

ORIGINAL: erichiu

Hi all, I had read many pages of this thread. I have almost made up my mind to get a MER. Just want to ask few question to prepare the worst scenario.
I own a Mini LST and a Kyosho mini inferno ST. To make it short, the first RC I own - MLST, I love it, but it give me tons of headache. I guess I had spend could be more than $500 to make it just durable enough for me to play more than 20min without break an diff, an arm, a gear...... Well, I still love it and when it run, its pretty fun, but now the center diff was gone and it is sitting on the shelve waiting for parts.
Bought the KMI-ST later because of the durability issue of MLST. Its true that it is a lot tougher than the MLST, but its part is super hard to find or not even exist. I better not break anything, once I did (just a little body post), can't find the parts anywhere or have to wait 3 weeks for shipping.
I really want this E-REVO could holds up better. I have brushless setup for both my MLST and KMIST. I am thinking to go direct to the brushless verson VXL. From many thread I read here, sounds like the only weakness is the speed control, easy upgrade.
My question is, from what I know, all the shaft of this truck include front and rear shaft to the wheels, both center shaft, are made from plastic. How good they hold up with brushless? Any one of you have any problem with the all diffs? how often you have to put a new one in? Except the ESC, what is the weakness point of this truck? What is the first thing you break on this truck?
Sorry for all this questions, if you own a MLST, you know my feeling....
Me and my brother each recently got one of these, and both of us managed to break a suspension arm within a half hour of running out of the box. Fortunately, they're easy to replace relatively inexpensive and not too hard to find (it depends how well stocked your LHS is on parts for the minis.) I'm hoping that RPMmakes these at some point though, since I've got those on my Revo 3.3 and they've held up pretty well so far.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:44 PM
mini-dude

ORIGINAL: erichiu
I really want this E-REVO could holds up better. I have brushless setup for both my MLST and KMIST. I am thinking to go direct to the brushless verson VXL. From many thread I read here, sounds like the only weakness is the speed control, easy upgrade.
My question is, from what I know, all the shaft of this truck include front and rear shaft to the wheels, both center shaft, are made from plastic. How good they hold up with brushless? Any one of you have any problem with the all diffs? how often you have to put a new one in? Except the ESC, what is the weakness point of this truck? What is the first thing you break on this truck?
Sorry for all this questions, if you own a MLST, you know my feeling....
the MLSTs have been notorious since their release for being over-engineered and being fragile if you beat on them (then again most mini's don't appreciate being "over"-bashed)
as you found, the Kyosho products have never sold well here, so they're always hard to find parts for
and, as you've probably read the new Mini~E-Revo puts up with a licking and keeps on ticking - most of us that have them have found them very durable - but it has a background of a design based on a larger heavier MT that has held it's own over time, so it's well within it's design parameters of putting up with a lot of abuse.

but ultimately it comes down to the user (you) for any RC is breakable, as you know, and it's all about knowing your own vehicle's capabilities...for nothing does real well running into immoveable objects or jumping off the roof of the house.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:12 PM
mxracer154

ORIGINAL: mini-dude

but ultimately it comes down to the user (you) for any RC is breakable, as you know, and it's all about knowing your own vehicle's capabilities...for nothing does real well running into immoveable objects or jumping off the roof of the house.
Haha qft right there. I have a perfect ramp set up so i can backflip onto my shed then turn around and jump off. Oh man is it a blast! But then again, i break some rear bottom arms. But hey its the price you pay, if i drive it good and hit some smaller ramps that send me 3-4 feet in air and maybe 10ft long, i go forever with out breaking anything.

The only thing i have ever had break is arms. It took me a while to break my first arm which was a front top. Those seem to be the only ones i really break. I have two in the back on bottom broken right now cause of the roof jump haha. Those are only broken in one spot so i can still drive it right now. The truck is the most durable truck i have had. I had a mini baja back when i was 12 or so and that thing just seemed to have tons of diff problems. Although now that i got back into the hobby i know now what im doing and to adjust the slipper and such.

Has anyone ever like popped a tire? Haha i popped both of my rears today idk how. I just switched to lipos too One of them like completely shredded and the other just has a whole in the middle lol. So i gotta wait to drive this beast its sooo fun, i hate not driving it. Traxxas needs to come out with a micro revo now haha. Big revo is too much for me only work about 8 hours a week if that so paychecks arent very big but then again im only 15.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:42 AM
projct

I have a bunch of these zippy 3s1p 2200mAh that I use on my RC18T with velcro and some luck holding them in place. (100x34x27mm)

How much work would it be to fit these on my shiny new mini e-revo (if possible) and what should I be after? it looks like the height flexes enough to fit in the middle but I would need to make some room in the angled spots. Is that a good idea, or will it weaken the chassis too much?
Old 10-31-2009, 06:51 PM
piddlefoot
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There just 2 big mate, l tried that, its a bad idea.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:36 PM
ThEoNeS911

Just a shout-out to whoever is reading this thread for "reseach" and deciding whether to get one of these or a Tamiya _____ or a different Traxxas.. get this. Its a blast. With just the single NiMh out of the box, you can already do some wheelies on command. This thing handles flips and jumps like a charm. I've jumped it 12ft, flew it down a 12 set of stairs, done about 40 3ft jumps, and I haven't done anything to it except wear out the skid plates, and peel the body a bit. Don't just take my word for it, buy a VXL version and you'll see.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:06 PM
micro guy

Does anyone have this lipo? How is it? Is it any faster than the 2 6 cell ni-mhs on the series connector? How much longer are the run times if there is a difference.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LiPo-battery-155...item439ac80e2f

Thanks
Old 11-01-2009, 01:13 PM
projct

ORIGINAL: micro guy

Does anyone have this lipo? How is it? Is it any faster than the 2 6 cell ni-mhs on the series connector? How much longer are the run times if there is a difference.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LiPo-battery-155...item439ac80e2f

Thanks
I haven't, but for the price of the one on ebay, you can get the same battery from hobbycity for a lot cheaper - http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...0C_Lipoly_Pack plus $8 shipping to the US. I'd get at least two and run them in parallel. The only difference is that they come with deans, but you can solder on traxxas - most hobby shops will do that for you if you don't want to, just buy the traxxas connector(s) there. If you can do it on your own, HC sells them as well.

Iam planning on getting a pair of 2S that were mentioned in the mini e-revo battery threadhttp://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6540&Product_Name=ZIPPY_ 2200mAh_2S1P_20C ) since I can get a higher mAh rating to run in parallel and my pair of 6 cells is plenty fast. Iswitched my truck to deans - already have deans on two other trucks.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Limegrntaln

@microguy.

I see the eBay posting you posted, but I really dont think that those dimensions for that battery are correct. I think that pack is too thick. I would suggest the zippy packs from Hobby City. Get the 2200 20C 2S packs. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...00mAh_2S1P_20C If you look around long enough you will see people quote these packs time after time. GET 2 and heres why. You ask if it makes a difference here you go. Stock motor and ESC. changed Gearing to 34 pinion and 40 spur gear and changed tires. running these batteries in 4S which is 2 of these. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLloi...eature=related (if the video errors out, hit the HD button) Heres another video with 4S batteries. This guy has a upgraded speed controller http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghuySnd2G60&NR=1

Now you tell me if thats a difference?? If you dont have a LiPo charger you will need that too, and to make sure these batteries dont go below 3.2V Which is the same for all LiPos. make sure you get the proper equipment. The stock esc wont auto shutdown the car in 4S only in 2S & 3S. In getting these batteries you can run them in both series and parallel. for 4400MAH combined. Your talking about 30-40 minutes of run time. And Running them in series is what you see in the video. I dont recommend running the car all day in this config but it is stupid uncontrollable fast.

Also heres a video from Traxxas on how to clip and solder in new connectors. http://www.traxxas.com/products/vide...ssembleHCC.htm
Old 11-01-2009, 05:23 PM
micro guy

ORIGINAL: Limegrntaln

@microguy.

I see the eBay posting you posted, but I really dont think that those dimensions for that battery are correct. I think that pack is too thick. I would suggest the zippy packs from Hobby City. Get the 2200 20C 2S packs. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...00mAh_2S1P_20C If you look around long enough you will see people quote these packs time after time. GET 2 and heres why. You ask if it makes a difference here you go. Stock motor and ESC. changed Gearing to 34 pinion and 40 spur gear and changed tires. running these batteries in 4S which is 2 of these. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLloi...eature=related (if the video errors out, hit the HD button) Heres another video with 4S batteries. This guy has a upgraded speed controller http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghuySnd2G60&NR=1

Now you tell me if thats a difference?? If you dont have a LiPo charger you will need that too, and to make sure these batteries dont go below 3.2V Which is the same for all LiPos. make sure you get the proper equipment. The stock esc wont auto shutdown the car in 4S only in 2S & 3S. In getting these batteries you can run them in both series and parallel. for 4400MAH combined. Your talking about 30-40 minutes of run time. And Running them in series is what you see in the video. I dont recommend running the car all day in this config but it is stupid uncontrollable fast.

Also heres a video from Traxxas on how to clip and solder in new connectors. http://www.traxxas.com/products/vide...ssembleHCC.htm

Thankyou for all of that info. I will not be changing any of the electronics on it. Should i run them in a series or parrel? If i do not end up getting those 2 of those 2s and i get one 3s will i see a difference or not? And i do have a lipo battery charger. Its the triton 2. My dad uses it to charge his airplane and helicopter batteries.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Limegrntaln

You can run them in either series or parallel. Getting the 2 2S batteries allows you to run them in just that. Either 2S or 4S. You can get a 3S battery, 4S is going to be alot more power in series and alot more run time in parallel. However the auto shutdown doesnt work in 4S only in 2 and 3S. You can still get a 3S pack if you can find one that fits. Your normally going to either suffer from a lower mAh rating or a lower discharge rate to make up for the size.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:59 PM
micro guy

Ok well i still haven't decided wut i am going to get. I am leaning towards 2 2s lipos in a series. I have been reading and people are saying it is hard on the diffs, clutch, and tranny, and heat issues etc. What could i do to avoid those problems. I will be loosining my slipper clutch. But is that all i should do? I have a heat sink on the motor, but should i get one for the esc as well? I will also be running this set-up on a regular basis. Since ol'man winter is around the corner, wut do you recommend i do to the lipos? Should i balloon'em up or is there another way? One more question, should i change my gearing? I am running the stock spur gear, and the 23t speed pinion.

Thanks for all of the help guys!
Old 11-01-2009, 11:04 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Loosen the slipper up a little bit and learn to have throttle control, as in ease into the throttle. Gearing should be fine, as long as you aren't overheating, and with winter coming up, I doubt you will be. You could get a ESC heat-sink to aid cooling and then cut out a small hole in the windshield and rear window for added cooling.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Limegrntaln

I wouldnt run 2S in series all the time. I would mainly run it for speed passes. Its a killer on the motor and ESC.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:20 PM
projct

I broke an upper front suspension arm today (left side when front is facing you) - LHS has it in stock, but I missed their closing time by 1 minute. GRR   Guess I'll have to get it tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:23 PM
micro guy

Ya, i wouldnt be running it in a series all the time. I think for now i might just get 1 3s lipo and go from there. Is there one that anyone reccomends?
Old 11-02-2009, 11:27 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Why not 2s in series? What if the proper cooling is there and throttle control as well?
Old 11-02-2009, 11:35 PM
projct

ORIGINAL: PrjctStrtFrce

Why not 2s in series? What if the proper cooling is there and throttle control as well?
Well, you'd need an external cutoff for that, the ESCis only designed to cutoff up to 3S.

I'm planning on running 2s2p since I get the most mAh that way. Imight pick up a single 3S for speed.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:19 AM
Limegrntaln

Running in 2S in series all the time even with a cutoff isnt good for the ESC you would really have to watch your temps. Or gear the car down, which just makes it slower anyway. inevitably you will either lose your motor or you esc. 3S in safe in LiPo. then you can run the low voltage warning also.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:02 PM
mxracer154

Well i was driving my revo tonight and it started glitchin out... So i drove it to me and i noticed the antenna tube was gone then i realized that the antenna was cut where it comes out of the receiver box... Is there anyway i can fix this? Solder on a new antenna? Or do i need to get a new receiver? [:@]
I was having a blast too! There filling on holes on my road and there was a big dirt pile that i made into a quarter pipe and was launching this thing like 15 feet in the air and it would land back where i jumped

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.