Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

OS .15 mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 11:55 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a pic of three versions of the MAX-III .15. The upper one is the newest. The lower right has the first iteration of an actual throttle (that I have). The lower left is, of course CL. The muffler is a bit heavy and I'm told some folks etched the insides with acid to make the walls thinner. I did not.
My MAX-II .15 has a baffle type throttle coupled with a rotating exhaust restrictor.

George
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MAXIII15a.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	2096665   Click image for larger version

Name:	MAX-II15a.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	2096666   Click image for larger version

Name:	MAXII15b.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	2096667  
Old 05-23-2015, 06:27 AM
Cross Check

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Andy,

Rooting around, looking for other stuff...

I found the Taipan .15 box and instructions !
(I like the part where Gordon Burford says: "do not hold this engine in a vice")

I'll send it to you. A NIB same engine is worth so much.

An AndyW Taipan.15 is 'priceless'

I'll include shipping, when you 'dial' it in...
You can send it to CP...
He will know what to do with it !

Cheers,
Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Old 06-23-2015, 11:18 AM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by Mr Cox
Great to see you back here Andy.

I think you might be over propping the engine. The largest prop I would put on a .15 engine is the APC 8x4 and they should spin that at around 15000rpm to be worth the effort. They run even better on a 7x5, should give you around 18000rpm

The Norvel .15 is great engine, the only thing that held mine back was the stock carb. It is simply too restrictive, it gives great fuel draw and awesome idle though, mine would run at 2500rpm all day.
Thanks for the input re 8 X 4 APC prop. I do kind of overprop some engines and the .15 is not one I've flown a lot. An 8 X 4 is a prop I use on a Norvel, Diesel .074 but it IS a diesel, of course. So I finally found one,, just one out of some 50 props I have of multiple brands and sizes.

So, I'll run the LA on it and do the same for the rest, just to make all things equal. Just to compare, for fun.

That makes the OS .15 LA, the OS .15 FP, the Taipan .15 and a new, Norvel .15 BB. I'll use the same fuel, (20%) and an OS P3 plug. And I'll try to do all four runs on the same day, same temp. humidity etc. Just to compare, just for fun. That old tech, (ferrous) Taipan has me intrigued.

To be continued.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:39 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A year or two ago, I checked a whole bunch of .15s. I used a 7-5" Master Airscrew prop, and 10%. I seemed to use the 7-5 a lot so that is what I tried.The results are in the "Tachometer Readings section here. The LA is pretty good for a plain bearing motor, and the Taipan was very strong. I think the Cox Conquest was the best, it tied with the Fora, which in it's defence likes a smaller prop. A Picco .12 has since impressed me considering it is so much smaller. The T Tiger is the suck of the bunch. I wanted to run on old Supertiger G .15, but can't seem to find the RC one in the basement. Moving time again. I tried quite a few of the .15s. It is amazing how many you collect over the years. Got a bunch of .049s and .07s checked too. Lots of nice windy days back then.

Last edited by aspeed; 06-23-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:33 PM
AndyW

Originally Posted by Cross Check
Hi Andy,

Rooting around, looking for other stuff...

I found the Taipan .15 box and instructions !
(I like the part where Gordon Burford says: "do not hold this engine in a vice")

I'll send it to you. A NIB same engine is worth so much.

An AndyW Taipan.15 is 'priceless'

I'll include shipping, when you 'dial' it in...
You can send it to CP...
He will know what to do with it !

Cheers,
Dave,

If you're talking about another Taipan, NIB, you're too generous. Thing is, I already got me one.

As far as dialing it in, I'm certain that CP can do that sort of thing far better than me. I like them to swing heavy lumber and throttle well.

No screamin meemies for me, nerves can't take it.

Send it to CP directly, he'll know what to do.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:39 PM
Cross Check

Hi Andy,

I'm curious how 'ferocious' that 'ferrous' Tiapan is, compared to the others !

I collect engines that I have completely worn out. My 70s era OS.15 ran really great. Burned it out in a pusher. The steel wool in the film cannistor muffler absorbed the castor oil, and got more restrictive, just when I was leaning it out for more power. Doah!
( It now has 'exquisite' patina, inside and out ! )

My next new engine purchase will be a Magnum XLS .15. If it is like my .25 version, It will be very, very sweet.

Cheers, Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Old 06-23-2015, 05:48 PM
AndyW

Originally Posted by aspeed
A year or two ago, I checked a whole bunch of .15s. I used a 7-5" Master Airscrew prop, and 10%. I seemed to use the 7-5 a lot so that is what I tried.The results are in the "Tachometer Readings section here. The LA is pretty good for a plain bearing motor, and the Taipan was very strong. I think the Cox Conquest was the best, it tied with the Fora, which in it's defence likes a smaller prop. A Picco .12 has since impressed me considering it is so much smaller. The T Tiger is the suck of the bunch. I wanted to run on old Supertiger G .15, but can't seem to find the RC one in the basement. Moving time again. I tried quite a few of the .15s. It is amazing how many you collect over the years. Got a bunch of .049s and .07s checked too. Lots of nice windy days back then.
I don't want to start a "prop war" but when the firs MAs came out, we found that they didn't perform well. The tips were WAY too thick, beat the air something fierce with not much get up OR go.

Years later, MA came out with some new styles that showed promise but I had far too many props already so I don't recall ever trying any of these. I may be wrong, I may have a few but I can't remember running or comparing them, especially in the air.

The 5" pitch implies some serious WFO speed and that's not kinda what I do.

The APC 8 X 4 is a mild prop, so I'm hoping that some useful or at least interesting results come about.

And in retrospect, the fuel at 20% is a bit much and since I'm going to run the LA again on the lighter prop, I might as well go with a more appropriate fuel. This is all keeping in mind that this thread started out as a way of getting my feet wet again and the subject was the .15 LA, a mild engine intended for mild, sport flying. The idea here, being a beginner starting out on a .15 powered Trainer and then, upgrading to more and more powerful engines until the dihedral reinforcement on the main spar blows up.

I know that ferrous engines can rust big time if you don't take extra care. I do and will but I wonder what might be best for the Taipan. In my experience, an all synthetic isn't the best for a ferrous engine, even if you do drown it in after run oil.

Dave, what do the newly found instructions say about fuel for the Taipan? Was synthetic oil commonly used back then? In any case, I'd run a 50/50 synth/castor fuel as a good compromise. If the Taipan will be run on that, I guess, I need to run the other three on the same fuel.

Last edited by AndyW; 06-23-2015 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:59 PM
Cross Check

Andy,

I found the original box for that Taipan.

When I get a 'Roundtuit'...
I'll send it to you.

I'll put in an (90s era?)OS.10 . The only OS engine, I could not get running. I cannot figure out why.

Cheers,
Old 06-23-2015, 06:02 PM
AndyW

Hi Andy,

I'm curious how 'ferocious' that 'ferrous' Tiapan is, compared to the others !

I collect engines that I have completely worn out. My 70s era OS.15 ran really great. Burned it out in a pusher. The steel wool in the film cannistor muffler absorbed the castor oil, and got more restrictive, just when I was leaning it out for more power. Doah!
( It now has 'exquisite' patina, inside and out ! )

My next new engine purchase will be a Magnum XLS .15. If it is like my .25 version, It will be very, very sweet.

Cheers, Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Fair enough and the previous post lays out the plan for these four engines.

About steel wool. I had that happen too, years ago, but I caught it in time before I fried the engine. Never used steel wool again. Fast forward many years later and about 10 years ago, I had some Teflon swarf from the lathe and I found that the oil wanted to escape the muffler quite readily. It worked as well as steel wool but as long as you stored your plane to allow the oil to drain, all was good.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:03 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I never use after run oil unless I go over 10% fuel. I usually have some castor in. Most events are limited to 10% now anyway. The little guys seem to like the nitro. I still consider a .15 as not really little.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:13 PM
AndyW

Andy,

I found the original box for that Taipan.

When I get a 'Roundtuit'...
I'll send it to you.

I'll put in an (90s era?)OS.10 . The only OS engine, I could not get running. I cannot figure out why.

Cheers,
Dave,

I'll find out soon enough but is that .10 ferrous, or is it more modern metallurgy? I had an OS .10 that was ABN, as I recall, and that was SO long ago, I didn't have an electric starter. I bought it from a shop in Toronto. I could never get it to run either. It had virtually no compression seal as if it was worn out. But it WAS new, just didn't have any snap over when cold, even with a bit of oil injected into the exhaust, an old Cox engine trick. When hot, forgetaboutit.

So I sent it back to the shop and got it back in a week and they said it starts just fine, ???? I only found out after a phone call that they used an electric starter. So-o-o, I borrowed one and sure enough it started. And that was the day I got me an electric starter.

Are you trying to hand start it?
Old 06-23-2015, 06:45 PM
Cross Check

Hi Andy,

From Gordon Burford's instructions:

2.5cc , 7-6 or 8-4 prop.

"Fill the tank with glow fuel. A mix of 80% methanol 20% castor oil is suitable if commercially mixed fuel is unavailable."

That was from the 70s. Not sure if 'synthetic' oils were even invented back then.

The nice 'how to run' instructions cover several sized engines, including desiels...

Nothing specific about that particular engine.

Cheers,
Old 06-24-2015, 06:51 PM
Cross Check

Hi Andy,

I forgot to mention I have broken in that Taipan.15 with Wildcat 10/15% nitro fuel with 50/50 castor/synthetic oil. I added extra 'BeNol' castor to bump up the oil to 20%. Perhaps, 1/4 gallon, mostly rich, never overheated or 'peaked' yet...
Seemed to like that (7-4?APC) prop last time I ran it.
I got noise complaints, before I could Tach it !

Have fun my friend !
It is what 'hobbying', is all about !

Cheers,
Old 08-15-2015, 12:41 AM
rcuser004
My Feedback: (287)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Andy,

Global Warming is certainly here but we are all victims to the biggest culprit, "deliberate climate engineering". The West Coast is being droughted out while the East and Mid-West freezes. Visit www.geoengineeringwatch.org for a complete and thorough understanding of how the powers above governments are totally controlling the world's climate while destroying the environment and public health.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:03 AM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Red Baron Mike
Andy,

Global Warming is certainly here but we are all victims to the biggest culprit, "deliberate climate engineering". The West Coast is being droughted out while the East and Mid-West freezes. Visit www.geoengineeringwatch.org for a complete and thorough understanding of how the powers above governments are totally controlling the world's climate while destroying the environment and public health.

....and how EXACTLY does this relate to OS Max 15's........?

ffkiwi
Old 08-15-2015, 06:19 PM
rcuser004
My Feedback: (287)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It has nothing to do with OS .15 engines. However, look at Andy'd first post where he says, " it's been a dark, cold, depressing winter. Whatever happened to Global Warming?" This is what I reacted to. By the way, even though you live in New Zealand, you aren't escaping this issue. I am not talking about the nonsence Al Gore and the tree huggers spew about manmade global warming. I am referring to the all out assault from the U.S. Military in their quest to completely control global weather. Climate control is the ultimate weapon! They are destroying human health and our biosphere. I suggest to spend a few minutes on the website www.geoengineeringwatch.org and educate yourself. This research group has been fighting global climate engineering for over twelve years!

Last edited by rcuser004; 08-15-2015 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:03 PM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And its TOTALLY out of place on a forum like this-if you must send this off topic stuff to members-a PM is the appropriate nethod.

'ffkiwi'
Old 08-16-2015, 03:11 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pulpit mode is OFF on this forum.

Except with regards to castor oil and prop choice.