Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2A starter.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 06:17 PM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way too slow-but I like the way you're thinking....could you decouple the gearbox from the motor....?

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 06-29-2017, 06:24 PM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	globee-stinger-2-starter_1_a82475f2edb0a3a61464f98a4dd5e6c1.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	2222326Heres a pic of the Stinger I found on the Net-looking at it-and assuming a 380 size motor then I think my guess at it containing 3 x 2V cells seriesed for 6V is probably right
Old 06-30-2017, 03:42 AM
gmeyers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ffkiwi
the Miller and the Hornet are both good-within their application range-but you're not comparing apples with apples-the Hornet is really an '06-15' sized starter whereas the Miller is a true '1/2A and smaller' starter-where the Miller scores is that it has specific moulded inserts for 010, 020 and 05 sizes (the 05 one being double ended like the large full size starters, for either a prop nut or spinner. A lot of the issues with small starters seem to occur because the rubber inserts are not appropriately sized-and people have trouble centreing an oversized insert. I tend to use my Miller for the small stuff and the Hornet for 09, 10 and 12s-it will even handle a 'cooking' 15 without protest....but I would not expect it to handle a high compression 15 like a Rossi or Nelson.

Personally I think anyone who could reintroduce something like the Fusite Stinger I mentioned previously would be onto a real winner-it was so natural to use-like holding a chicken stick or torch-and with modern Lipos-which are available in hardcase, cylindrical formats (though not often seen in hobby use in this format) youd have 7.4-8.2V available to the motor (which I assume-never having seen one in the flesh) was a 380 sized brushed unit-something like a Graupner Speed 400-which were as most here will recall-available in 4.8, 6 and 7.2V windings.....in fact the more I think about it-the more I think that it would be not too difficult to knock up a homemade equivalent using a bit of PVC plumbing pipe as the housing...and you can get matching PVC end caps to make the job easier, as well

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Home made was best for me though I do have the Astro, Norvel, and Sullivan Cricket. To fabricate my home made I started with the speed reducer gear box that Master Airscrew used to sell for the 500 sized 12 volt motors. I used pcv pipe for a housing and pvc end caps attached to the gearbox along with a rubber insert to drive the spinner or prop. I also fashioned contacts from a switch to form my own switch and it worked great. Much more convenient to hold and the reduced speed seemed much better suited to spin those small engines. Problem today is finding one or some of those Airscrew gearboxes. .
Old 07-03-2017, 08:14 AM
cortacesped

Click image for larger version

Name:	9C8.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	2222770Hi, this is the one I made.
Basically it´s a Mabuchi 540 motor, some pvc tubing for mounting the motor and the switch, and a prop adapter with an plastic endcap with some rubber tube inside.
It turns about 10~12K RPM, enough for starting .020 and .049 TD's.
Always check that the engine isn´t flooded to avoid internal damages (or an ultra fast unscrew of the propeller )

Claudio

Last edited by cortacesped; 07-03-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:46 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks good, what do you use for batteries? I had been thinking of making one like that, but just put a piece of heater hose inside my regular cone in my starter. It works fine but is overkill.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:47 PM
gmeyers

Originally Posted by BrightGarden
What about just using a cordless screwdriver like this one?
It is 130 rpm, BTW.
well it would be simple to drive a spinner or prop with some sort of drive attached but the RPM would be too low. Need to spin it a bit faster.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:36 PM
g-rock
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that this is an old thread. I( wanted to contribute at the time of this thread but laziness and a long recovery from a leg amputation is my excuse. My starter for 1/2 A and smaller was built around an motor recovered from an electric tool. It might be still available as a brushed 500 motor. I think I built it at least 15 years ago. I used it only on motors that were modified with a steel thrust washer. I have never had a problem with a piston lock.
Gene

Last edited by g-rock; 08-23-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:14 PM
gmeyers

Default starter

Originally Posted by g-rock

I know that this is an old thread. I( wanted to contribute at the time of this thread but laziness and a long recovery from a leg amputation is my excuse. My starter for 1/2 A and smaller was built around an motor recovered from an electric tool. It might be still available as a brushed 500 motor. I think I built it at least 15 years ago. I used it only on motors that were modified with a steel thrust washer. I have never had a problem with a piston lock.
Gene
I never had a problem with a piston lock that damaged anything but did experience it a time or two. I changed my design and bolted a Master Airscrew gear box to the front of the motor to slow the revs down by 1/3 - I didn't think that by doing that I was also increasing the power but it never became a problem. The Sullivan 1/2A starter is what I use now and it'l start up to a .15 with ease but it spins a mite too fast too. It is still available at Cox International https://coxengines.ca/search.php?mode=search&page=3
Old 08-29-2018, 04:05 AM
r ward

what are people doing differently today than years ago to start a cox .049 or .020 engine ?. we never had any trouble getting them running when I was a kid. a little squirt in the port and a flip or two and they were going every time,.... all the time. are people today so lazy they can't tolerate flipping these little motors a few times ?. and don't tell me it's because of getting bit by a prop. I never once got bit and we starting our planes by ourselves on the local park's baseball diamond and our prop driven cars in our alleys in 3rd grade. what's the matter ?.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:14 AM
g-rock
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by r ward
what are people doing differently today than years ago to start a cox .049 or .020 engine ?. we never had any trouble getting them running when I was a kid. a little squirt in the port and a flip or two and they were going every time,.... all the time. are people today so lazy they can't tolerate flipping these little motors a few times ?. and don't tell me it's because of getting bit by a prop. I never once got bit and we starting our planes by ourselves on the local park's baseball diamond and our prop driven cars in our alleys in 3rd grade. what's the matter ?.
Age!
Old 08-29-2018, 04:22 AM
r ward

age, yeah right,....it must make people helpless. we would have thought that a little battery powered motor to start an .049 engine was ridiculous.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:31 AM
gmeyers

Originally Posted by r ward
I have flown 1/2A's all my life from around 1950 to the present day. Both RC and control line - lower compression back in the day with lower nitro fuels made flying fun and easy back then. But today with higher performance being the goal and hot plugs with higher compression heads starting becomes a little more difficult and some help can at times be needed. Another factor is sometimes the glow starter battery being only 1.2 volts instead of 1.5 like back in the day makes a difference too. I prefer less clutter and the starting line but sometimes it's needed.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:31 AM
aspeed

We started the TD .049s with a starter mounted on a toolbox, and opened the needle until it would start. I can't think of a better way to start any motor with a bladder. I am not real quick with the forceps, especially now. I run off the prime and it takes 4 or 5 tries to get to the forceps or tubing clamp. Our motors were lapped so loose that there was hardly any compression. Now I flip 10 or 20 times and if it seems like it will go, then I won't use the starter. It is right there in the toolbox beside me though anyway. The reedies rarely need the starter. Smaller engines I have found a bit more tempermental than .25 and larger.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:05 AM
r ward

there were, as you say "high performance" Cox .049's back then too.....a buddy of mine flew competitive 1/2A freeflight back then. his dad owned a machine shop in Germantown and he shaved plugs and cylinders, lapped pistons and even changed port timing on the .049's for more rpm, all the time,( which would make them even harder to start) turning those things into snarly little monsters. his engines had such high compression the heads were converted to use a glow plug from a bigger engine because the seal was better and the element was tougher on them. compression was so high you could barely get the prop hub to spin over tdc with your bare fingers. they still fired right off with a little prime and a flip or two, all the time,...in fact they started better than a stock motor,....I never saw anyone use a starting motor.
you have to be doing something wrong.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:16 PM
aspeed

There is a time limit for starting, or it is an attempt. You only get 3 attempts, and it is nice to post a time and try to improve it for the next attempt. You don't want to fiddle around to prove a point. That is for the speed events, racing does not allow starters. I still do that a bit. Not the speed any more. No pavement to fly from around here. Yes, I had two records in 1/2A for a while, and still have a machine shop too. FAI Speed has changed a lot since I flew it, but I doubt anyone would hand flip those things.