Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Dick mathis piper cherokee

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Dick mathis piper cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 08:05 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Dick mathis piper cherokee

In 1975 Dick Mathis wrote a 47 page pamphlet called "How To Fly U-Control".
In 1985 I used this book as a guide for how to move up from Goldberg .049 powered kits.
Inside is a plan [not drawn to any scale] of a Piper Cherokee with a profile fuselage. This was my first "inside look" at how a BIG MODEL is supposed to be built. I was pretty excited. Mathis wrote that "coupled wing flaps" were worth the extra effort, instead of just using elevator only..so that was part of the plan. I found a used McCoy Red Head .35 complete with floppy white nylon 10 x 6 prop for $10. I also picked up a set of 70 foot long lines.
What a thrill this plane was to fly. Those 70 foot lines seemed a mile long compared to flying 1/2A with 26 feet of string. I crashed this plane so many times, but the relatively slow McCoy / 10 x 6 combo kept the speed low enough to limit the damage. Finally the model got too fuel soaked to repair.
Recently the Nostalgia Bug bit and I decided to build this plane again. This time the power is a 1/2A Forum Friendly

OS CVA .15 and either a 8 x 4 or 7 x 5 prop.
I'm also using landing gear. I have some carbon cloth and decided to make the landing gear legs out of it. It took 6 layers of this cloth embedded in West System laminating epoxy to get a .060" thickness. I used wax paper to contain the epoxy and heavy metal weights to squish the "lay up" flat until it dried. The wheels are for a RC car.
What's left to do is hook up the controls and make a venturi to feed the engine with.
The model weighs 20 ozs, so the OS .15 should be plenty.

Last edited by combatpigg; 10-31-2020 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:27 PM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Where do you source the Kraft/Hayes fuel tank and what length lines will be used?
Old 11-01-2020, 05:22 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by H5606
Where do you source the Kraft/Hayes fuel tank and what length lines will be used?
I have heard Kraft / Hayes is out of business.
A Jett or Tetra Bubble less tank might work pretty good...if they are still available.
I'll give this plane a try on 52 foot long, 20 pound test Spectra Line.
Old 11-03-2020, 04:22 AM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

If you can, please show details on terminating or tying Spectra lines at the leadouts and handle.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:45 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by H5606
If you can, please show details on terminating or tying Spectra lines at the leadouts and handle.
I simply take the line and wrap it a few times around a brass eyelet, then tie a few knots nice and tight. It isn't a bad idea to hit the knot with a drop of thin CA.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:50 PM
combatpigg

This is only the 4th flight I have on this plane so I'm still feeling it out and getting used to having coupled flaps.
The OS .15 CVA likes the 8 x 3 prop. The fuel tank needs to be mounted lower, notice how the motor leans out when it's inverted or doing outside loops.