Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

1/2A Memories and Stiletto Plan

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2A Memories and Stiletto Plan

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 02:26 PM
CoolCanuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2A Memories and Stiletto Plan

Going through a bunch of my old stuff, I came across my 1/2A stash from when I was a young teen. Man, did that bring back memories. Like 50++ (won't admit to more).

An old 049 BabeBee that has definitely seen better days. Then there were the 049 / 051 TeeDee's with their black and red plastic housings. Bunch of Cox plugs, the requisite Piston / Conrod closing tool. Even the ole' KirnKraft fine thread needle and rear housing with the pressure tap. The head tools. Plug wire harness. A slightly leaky old square starting battery in its' plastic bag.
All nicely squirreled away in a shoebox. Man. Hoarder or what...

And, underneath it all, on the bottom of the carton- an old Plan from AAM and the corresponding Dec.1970 issue (sans cover).
Stiletto was the name. And Speed was supposed to be its' game... Jog any memories?

Anyone ever build one? Plan and design by Richard LaConte
Click image for larger version

Name:	stiletto-plans-dec-70-aam.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	2273898
it's shown on the airplanesandrockets. "com/" airplanes/stiletto-dec-1970-aam with a "dot htm" after it website. Sorry, but am not allowed to post a link as I'm deemed not worthy yet.
The article showed some neat pics of the TD and a long extension shaft with u-joint.

Barely 13. I had just started with the 1/2 BabeBee (my very first powered engine), bought the Sterling Spitfire (think it was just a profile thing), then a built up Mustang. Tried to fly them, but without much success. Glad to see that I was able to make replacement wings etc. from Balsa stock. Round 'n Round, the dizzier I got. Landings were more like crashes and nose-in's. And then the thought of building and flying the Stiletto. Oh, the fun of it all.

The TeeDee's were another thing. Couldn't really get to grips with them, at least in the early days. Till Ted, my Hobbyshop owner (Ted's, in Pointe Claire, Montreal) took me aside and showed me why Cox Thimble Drome high Nitro was important. Didn't help me much on a 50cent allowance though.

A few years later, after a few summer jobs and a bit more savings, the 051 saw much more use on a 1/2A RC W.Matt Atlas that I drew up from a magazine article to 40" size, similar to a Pacer. Many successful flight on that Atlas (ail & ele control only). Screaming like *ell until the engine quit, then gliding in for a hopefully smooth landing. Met Mr. Tarnovsky (sp?) back around 73-74 or so showing off his carburetor and muffler stuff at one of the club meetings, but there weren't many interested in 1/2a there.

Still have the Atlas airplane and am rebuilding it to e-power with rudder and throttle control added.

Just had to share.

Last edited by CoolCanuck; 02-22-2024 at 02:30 PM.