Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Check out this F4U Guillow's Conversion!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Check out this F4U Guillow's Conversion!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 10:08 AM
Half-A-Hec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check out this F4U Guillow's Conversion!

Howdy All,

Guys check this guys website! He has a Guillows Corsair converted to 5 channel with an OS Max .15 for power! Awesome job!

Hec

Link

http://home.mindspring.com/~telemark...r/corsair.html
Old 10-16-2003, 01:10 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Check out this F4U Guillow's Conversion!

Let me start by saying that the following is not intended in any way to belittle the work of the owner of the Corsair. He did a great job on it. BUT........

I suppose you have to admire his tenacity but I keep thinking that the mods required to that kit FAR outweigh the efforts required to just build the same thing from scratch with a plan that's meant for that sort of equipment.

He's obviously sheeted over the entire model after building the Guillows part of it just for starters.

I just do NOT understand this seemingly universal need to avoid a set of plans and raw material by starting with a Guillows kit. Many, if not most times the efforts required to mod the kit require more skill and time than a purpose designed scratch build. Especially in this case where there are so many RC combat warbird plans in this size range on the 'net for free downloading.

OK, I'll get down off my soapbox now......
Old 10-16-2003, 02:14 PM
PsychTeacher

Which model is that? Wingspan? The little 27" one? Or is there a larger series of warbird?
Old 10-16-2003, 02:51 PM
SERCEFLYER

Bruce,

You are absolutely right-- the Guillows kits are challenging: the mounts are inadequate, canopies need to be revised, some areas need strengthening, some lightening. The kit itself is tough, and when trying a conversion, a hundred mini-crises seem to pop up out of nowhere. It IS tougher to convert one of their kits than just working from scratch.

BUT-- and this is a big BUT-- that's the whole point. We like the challenge of converting kits that were barely meant to fly under rubber power. And, I like messing with Guillows kits out of a sense of nostalgia. They were in evry toy store-- I used to dream about having a little RC Guillows model. When I was a kid my head would have spun at the thought of putting a micro radio and a 049 engine on one of their kits. I didn't have the ability or means back then.

Hmmmm... do we see a Guillows conversion in your future? I'd love to see what someone with your experience would do with.... say, the Guillows Stuka, or P-38.

Just a thought.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:06 PM
Half-A-Hec

I'm with George, the Guillow's kit conversion offers a challange. Isn't all Half A kit building a challange? Even the Herr kits require a little tweaking here and there. The Guillow's kit offer an inexpensive model, great looks, a challenge, and if done right a great flying model. Just ask Colmo! The best part is when someone at the field asks what kit is that you can smile and say its a Guillows! Haw.

Just my 2 cents.

Hec
Old 10-16-2003, 05:22 PM
FOD MAN

It looks O.K., but can it really fly. i did not see anything on the site that said he had flown it.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:51 PM
colmo-RCU

Yep, I agree with both of you. It´s a bit harder to convert, but with Gillows you garantee scale looks. So just imagine, and this is what George and I have been talking about, a conversion kit that makes it easy and take the guessing out of the equation.

I´ve already started converting the cessna 172.

I´ll keep you posted

Colmo
Old 10-16-2003, 10:18 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

We like the challenge of converting kits that were barely meant to fly under rubber power.
You are all very, very sick people....

Hey, whatever turns your prop. I must admit to tackling a few Guillows kits in my early days. Heck I even got one to climb under rubber power once. I was thrilled at that.

I also confess that I even converted one to 1/2A control line in my early teen days. It was the Piper Super Cub. But there was too much decalage and not enough elevator throw. The first flight ended in disaster when it kept trying to climb all the time and eventually got too high and upwind and the lines went slack...... Sure looked purty up untill then.

Hey, even Guillows goofs now and then. Somewhere along the way they hired the guy, quite by accident I'm sure, that designed the Fairchild 24. That's actually a very nice design and I got mine to fly almost half decently. I think I could do quite well now as I didn't know that much about trimming free flight scale back then.

But build one of the warbirds and convert it? Sorry, I'm not as foo.....er..... brave as you guys.... If I was to try something like these I'd be more inclined to start with some Earl Stahl warbird rubber plans and go from there. At least that way I get to pick my own material.

I guess this is what make model building so great. The many facets of the hobby. You guys carry on and have fun. I'll try to see your efforts in a new light and understanding. It truly does seem to be a facet of the hobby I guess. There's certainly enough of you doing these conversions.

Geez, next thing you know you'll be putting those Norvels in them.....
Old 10-17-2003, 01:20 AM
colmo-RCU

Off course we put Norvels in them!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It´s as light as a cox but way more powerful and reliable. And believe us, conversions are posible and the results fly great. Too bad I don´t have video of mine. But here goes a pic at least. And for the record, I used all the wood from the kit and not a single plastic part.

Colmo
Attached Images  
Old 10-17-2003, 08:51 AM
Half-A-Hec

An .061 Norvel RC will power mine too! As for the plastic parts? I don't know what I will do about them. I will probably try to reproduce them in balsa but haven't decided.

Hec
Old 10-17-2003, 09:39 AM
Half-A-Hec

Here is the response I received when I asked the builder if it could fly.

Response:

I flew it on full flaps (only half of which were actually functional), rich mix, slow speed for about a half dozen passes over the field, then brought it in. Radio was HiTec five channels micro servos. I would have been inclined to turn it into a pure flier (and might yet sometime) but the spouse likes it too much to see it trashed. If I ever start flying it, I'm going full-on combat; the thing's not that expensive and can probably take the knocks. But she's never actually seen one of my projects "rekitted" and it would break her heart to see it returned to its elements... She pretty much felt the same way about the Sopwith Camel, which is why I don't fly that one either. So these craft hang offa the ceiling protecting the airspace around my model train set.
The best conversion I ever built and flew was the Guillow Cessna 172. I've done probably a half dozen in my life, a coupla R/C and a few U-Control. That model flies the best of all the Guillow's I've built, and has more room for more gadgets than other craft its size.
Anyway, thanks for writing! Best of luck with your projects.
Billy

There ya have it. At least he isn't afraid of cracking it up! HAW!
Old 10-17-2003, 07:29 PM
Lynn S

I didn't think it would fly, but at least he proved it could. There is a Me-109 on another forum that looks like a good flyer.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:53 AM
MR Flyer57

I have been collecting guillow's models because I don't have and can't get any good plans it that size. If you know of any please point me in the right direction. I am looking for a Fokker dr1, a Gee Bee R1, and a Corsair that are in the 30 inch wing size, (for 1/2A). I have seen planes for the dr1 but they are bootleg Sterling Plans, and you must convert. I also have a new RCM plans catalog, but it isn't getting me the plans I would like.
Thanks for any ideas,
MR Flyer57
Old 10-20-2003, 09:45 AM
blue62
My Feedback: (3)

ok just where does one get those free for downloading plans sets?
been lookin and i haven't found them yet!!

help!!

john
Old 11-16-2003, 03:02 PM
OMPEdgeFlyer

Mr Flyer. I have several sets of GeeBee R1 and R2 plans in varying sizes. The smallest is 18 & 20 spans all the way up to 34 & 36 inch spans respectively. Id be more than happy to make ya a copy and send them to you.

I have framed up the 18 inch R1 but that is as far as I have gotten.
Old 11-16-2003, 03:12 PM
cstatman

ORIGINAL: blue62

ok just where does one get those free for downloading plans sets?
been lookin and i haven't found them yet!!

Some of the pages I go to include:

http://www.theplanpage.com/

http://www.windysock.net/plans.htm

not always 1/2 a but always free, and usually a bunch of really cool vintage stuff that can easily be scaled to your needs.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:14 PM
nekked_man_2000

RCM has a good 1/2a corsair, but I'm about half done with it, but I'm probably going to go back and re-design the wing more to my liking/and with a better airfoil.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:27 PM
skypupmut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guillows kits are more difficult to build and mod. but the nostalgia
I have a 24 in SE5 waiting to be built ( a beaut )
and have a super cub 24 in electric conv, flys great, fuselage not even covered tet ( shame )
Old 11-20-2003, 06:11 AM
CafeenMan

RCM did have a plan for a 1/2a corsair that I've always wanted to build. I still have that RCM in my stack someplace.

About the same time, Sterling came out with a 1/2a corsair kit that I ended up using as a baseball bat when I got frustrated breaking the planking on the wing back in my less patient days. I'd sure love to have that kit back and another crack at it. I have an O.S. 15 CV-A that would make that Corsair scream.

Have to get those RCM plans.....