Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

International 1/2A engine

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

International 1/2A engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 01:58 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default International 1/2A engine

Pictured is a hybrid made from a collection of parts. Norvel, Cox, G Mark, Wasp and custom fabricated crankcase and tankmount.

That makes it a Russian, Polish, Canadian, Japanese, Chinese and American hybrid. The idea was to make a totally self contained unit that could be simply bolted to the firewall without the hassle of a seperate tank and plumbing. The cylinder sits on top of a "deck" that can be rotated to give left or right, or even rear exhaust for those with a tuned pipe. A commercial version would have a cast crankcase dispensing with the Cox components. These were used only because it's much simpler to make a throttle carrier that way.

Performance with the Wasp cylinder is 18K on a 6 X 3 black Tornado prop. Swapping in a Norvel assembly produces 19K. The G Mark throttle has an adjustable airbleed and throttling is very good with excellent transition and a reliable idle below 5K.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68320.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	102378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84794.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	102379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25285.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	102380  
Old 02-18-2004, 05:34 PM
Lynn S

Default RE: International 1/2A engine

Andy, Gald to see it work so well. Only 1K diff. between the AP and Norvel...not bad for the Wasp.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:42 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: International 1/2A engine

Hi Lynn,

Yes, although I've had Wasps actually do 19K, most are good for 18,, which is pretty good. I attribute the usually better performance of the Norvels to the good compression seal of the Revlite arrangement.