Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Beefed up Norvel .074 for diesel operation.

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Beefed up Norvel .074 for diesel operation.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 03:13 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beefed up Norvel .074 for diesel operation.

I experimented with a dieselized Norvel .074 last year and found that with the right fuel mix, it made a great diesel engine. Starting was done with a starter but the trick was to NOT prime into the exhaust as is customary for diesel, but to prime just two or three drops into the intake. Then, the application of a starter would fire it off right away. I had no problems using an APC 8 X 4. When I switched to a Cox 8 x 4, I promptly bent a rod. I don't think it happened while starting as my technique remained unchanged. The Cox prop, even though the same size as the APC, has more blade area and I believe this extra load was just too much for the rod under the rigours of diesel combustion. Also, I was concerned about breaking a crankshaft as might happen with glow to diesel conversions.

The solution was to stuff the crank from a Cox .09 into the .074 crankcase. Brass bushings were also installed. The bent rod was replaced with a custom rod with a "little" more beef than stock. All this should allow me to run 10 X 4 props. [sm=eek.gif]

Testing will commence sometime in April.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31223.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	102400