Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

COMBATPIGGS" ENTRY FLIES!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

COMBATPIGGS" ENTRY FLIES!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 09:15 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default COMBATPIGGS" ENTRY FLIES!

[8D]I finally threw all caution to the wind and got brave enough to fly this thing. It is powered by a NORVEL 061, 6-3 pusher prop, 30% fuel, two HS-81s, 210mah battery, GP tiny rcvr, and it is 14.8 ozs RTF [dry]. The plane obviously had more than enough thrust to worry about the hand launch, but I still cut loose with it. With a bladder you don't have to worry about g forces acting on fuel draw. The plane flew practically hands off to get to altitude[I put in too much elevon up trim], and it was very tame in pitch control. Roll control was a different story, it was fast. The overall speed was good, and the pusher set up sounds like a high pitched whistle, no prop blast going over the monokote maybe, very clean sound. The only problem was a lack of vertical fin area, MATCHLESS was right. I put on tip fins,[.2oz penalty] and the tracking is good now. This thing looks like a mechanical duck in the profile when it goes by! All in all it is a HUGE improvement over the attempt to make the same plane a close coupled canard. The vertical, BTW is unlimited, so I'm anxious to get a thrust reading on this prop/engine. Guess where you tie the streamer on this one?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92328.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	105405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51135.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	105406  
Old 02-26-2004, 10:59 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: COMBATPIGGS" ENTRY FLIES!

Now that is a cool looking model. I hope your toys can bring you up to the Mission Wings SmallFly this summer. It would be great to see that one in person.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:20 PM
combatpigg

HI BRUCE! Yes, I would like to come up to Mission, and we'll be able to entertain each other for at least 1/2 hour, don't you think? Especially if BIPEFLYER shows up, then we should be able to be in hog heaven for at least another 10 minutes? Seriously, there wouldn't be enough time in the day, would there! You gotta bring MEL down for some aversion therapy too. He loves 1/2As, but they have to fly HEMISPHERICALLY, to make him feel at ease. I've seen photos of your field and it sure is beautiful, a stark contrast to where I fly, which is a patch of pasture near an industrial park. My back yard is OK if you have a light plane with good vertical to clear the fir trees, a bush pilots' dream.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:47 AM
MR Flyer57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man CP,
that thing looks fast just sitting there!
Now I have to wonder, just where do you tie a streamer on that monster?
I can't wait to see the video. What kind of bladder did you end up using?
MR Flyer57
Old 02-27-2004, 08:24 AM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big Congrats CP! Sounds like it is a really fun one to fly.

I love the JetAge/SpaceAge covering scheme too!

If it really looks like an angry mechanical duck in the air, you better keep it away from me, lest I pull out my trusty 870 and some #2 steel shot. I don't think it would taste too good roasted over the grill though...

Allright everyone-- It looks like CP is the first one in the air. Where's the rest of everyone (Oh gosh, I just made that statement and I have not even ordered radio gear )
Old 02-27-2004, 08:41 AM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

That look great. I love the front end. It adds really well to the over-all look of the plane. Just one question.... How do you launch that thing without loosing a hand??[X(]

P.S. I thought DICKEYBIRD had flown his already.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:36 AM
combatpigg

Thanks for the compliments guys! MATCHLESS! Wouldn't it be fun to try to paint ball something like that? You were right about the original fins being too small, I'll bet if the engine were put on correctly[on the front] it would have tracked better. This thing stays real clean though. 2FAST4U! I give it a complete overhand throw with a good follow through, by the time your hand has released the plane, it is [who knows by how much] clear of the prop. It would be interesting to see slow motion footage of the release! DICKEY BIRD was first up, and if I had his plane, I'd be the LAST one to leave the flying field!
Old 02-27-2004, 10:25 AM
combatpigg

HI MARSHALL! The spinner nut has a hole in it, so I will tie the stremer off there, I guess,the bladder is 1/8" i.d. latex tubing, sold at fishing tackle stores. I take small silicone fuel line, and push a hard sleeve into one end, then I take the latex tubing and tie a knot in one end, then cut it about 2 1/2-3" long. Slide the open end of the latex tubing over the reinforced end of your fuel line and tie it off with a tiny TYRAP. The CO-OP sells 2oz syringes, buy the kind that will allow you to press a piece of 3/32" brass tubing in to the plastic tip. Put a couple of sheetmetal screws in the syringe housing so you can't accidently pull out the plunger. A pair of hemostats to clamp the line, a pair of safety glasses, and you are ready to go. The new style NORVEL AME has a good enough needle to do the job. The stock TD needle is barely adequate, the KK needle is tops. You want to set the drip rate for 2 drops per second for starters, you can spin the electric starter while burping the line, always adjust from the rich side in. If you over inflate the bag you will get a false pressure, because the "bag" should have free room inside the fuel compartment. On your SCIMITAR I would put a 5/16" hole in the canopy and use that for the bladder compartment. I can't wait to see an update of your progress on the SCIMITAR, you SLACKER! What's been taking you so long? Do you have a JOB, or something like that?
Old 02-27-2004, 12:43 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks nice man, and I bet its F A S T.....

How about some video?? and dont forget to put some stuff up on Bipe's website for all the guys to see...

AJC
Old 02-27-2004, 02:19 PM
MR Flyer57

Your not going to believe this Chuck, but I have to make pine wood derby cars under threat of death!!

Four of them, and oh ya, everyone here has seen the past ones and think I'm some kind of wood carving god, boy are they in for a disappointment this year!!

I sneak down and work on the plane only after work, when everybody is asleep. The race is Saturday, so after then I will be at full speed again.

I did get the thing sitting on it's landing gear, but that also caused me grief. I only have a large drill press, and I needed straight holes drilled with a little bit.
The big drill press won't hold the little bits! Well that was a good enough reason to get a new and smaller drill press!!
Am I the only one who spends $120 to drill landing blocks?[:@]
Sure I will use it again, but tell that to the War Department,,, she thinks it will be my birthday present,,, Ha! I have a battery charger I'm looking at!!!

I like the idea of your plane staying clean, that almost offsets the hassles of putting the engine in the rear.

Marshall