Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Cloverport, TN fun fly

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cloverport, TN fun fly

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 12:45 AM
Lynn S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cloverport, TN fun fly

Our fun fly was a great success. The weather was fantastic and the eleven pilots that came really got their money's worth. (it was free) ....I noticed when I got home that my face is sunburned! It was great to have Dickeybird, Matchlessaero and the Memphis crew with Louis and his club members. There must have been 40 planes counting the EP planes of Don and Nick. I think most of us were amazed at the electrics...the wing planes were really fast and the little Gee Bee racer made everybody stop and watch it fly.
It was a little windy when I flew my rudder only plane but I did mangage to make it back to the strip after getting a bit too downwind. The Extra-Giles is history..... I never quite had control after take off( I should have used low rates). There was usually two or more planes in the air all day long.
I didn't get many pictures, but maybe Jeremy and Milton got a few they can post. Lots of fun guys...thanks for coming out!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59196.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	106122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89845.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	106123  
Old 02-29-2004, 01:08 AM
Lynn S

Default RE: Cloverport, TN fun fly

one more...

Name:	Lj23907.jpg
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	106131  
Old 02-29-2004, 08:14 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Yessir, a good time was had by all. I spent so much time talking to the fellers I never even got my camera outta the bag! I'm pretty sure matchlessaero got some pics and will post them.

I think Lynn's neighbor R.A. now has the 1/2A hook firmly planted! He brought out a jewel of a little Tee Dee powered Ugly Stik that he scaled down and scratch-built from the original plans. I think he said it had a 36" span and weighed 17 or 18 oz. with it's 600 mah batt. [X(] It had 3 channels: aileron, elevator and rudder control. We pitched in and did a quick check out of his $8.50 flea-market Tee Dee (older style with triple fluted bypass ports!) and it fired right up and ran GREAT! I "volunteered" to take the maiden flight and boy, what an anticlimax that was! It gently flew right out of my hand in the wind and just plain flew GREAT with hardly any trim change. I saw him flying it several more times during the day and was having big fun each time. If someone out there has a throttle sleeve for sale, I think R.A. would install it and some landing gear for even more fun.

I flew my Kwik-Stiks and had great fun shooting touch & goes on the paved runway (road) in the wind. Was gonna fly the Cornbread but left the fuse home on the charger! I waited 'til later to fly the BareCat in the somewhat calmer air and couldn't believe my good fortune. The sun was low and sorta in our faces and in the those low-contrast conditions I got completely disoriented coming out of a flat spin and augured it in wide open out the cotton field. Man, I was cussing myself all the way out to the crash scene just KNOWING it was a pile of junk 'cuz it's built so light. Matchless walked out with me and we were both astonished! Somehow it must've hit the ground wings level with the nose slightly down. No damage other than a chunk of Depron smushed on the bottom of the nose! WHEW, did that ever make my day!

Like Lynn said, those electric planes were really neat, the pusher powered flying wingie-thingies flew great and their pusher props were actually pretty noisy. Sounded like a smooth running, muffled 1/2A motor. Don flew an aileron equipped, really sleek electric powered glider that was very impressive and a bunch of other planes. Those electric guys are good folks and had mucho flying fun! Plus, they didn't even make fun of our "slimers!"

The Millington Barnstormer guys were repeatedly planting Coroplast S.P.A.D.'s out in the cotton field trying to get a crop for next year but they couldn't destroy the things so they kept on flying 'em! They put on a cool combat demo that looked like fun to me and I got to see my 1st Norvel .25 run. Them things is AWESOME! I wish I'd had one of 'em back in my .25 pylon racing days!

Matchlessaero wowed us with his Half Wit stunts but I was impressed the most by his his little stick & tissue electric r/c plane. It weighs 26 gms. and has the latest micro gear with combined rcvr./esc and magnetic actuators. Thanks to it's double surface wing, it flew very well in the same wind that was bouncing our bigger planes around! Gotta get me one for some summer evening back yard flights! We were once again awed by his little throttled .010 flying boat "Mud Duck." That thing is way too cool!

Paul Swanson flew his profile 3D Fat-Free Taco and Fat Boy Taco (I think that's what he called the many times repaired porky one) and his fan-fold foam electric 3D plane. Very impressive stuff! He even volunteered to give me his autograph....FREE!

All in all, a great day....when we doing it again Lynn?
Old 02-29-2004, 09:23 AM
Digger-RCU

I am totally jealous! A 1/2a funfly in my old stomping grounds. Even my buddy Louis got to go! You guys sound like you had a lot of fun! I really wish I could have been there!

Please post lots of pictures!

Randy (Digger) Birt
Old 02-29-2004, 09:45 AM
Lynn S

I got a shot of Dickeybird and Matchlessaero out in the cotton field......the one I planted was right beside the road...didn't have to walk that far.

Also, here is a picture of Don Sims who is a mod on the E-Zone website. Don had a ton of planes and a pickup load of batteries.

Dickeybird......good writeup! and yes...I hope the land owner will let us do this again.

Name:	Bz78628.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	106199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84363.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	106200  
Old 02-29-2004, 11:02 AM
lwr_

Digger may not have been there; however, we did mention his name in vain a few times. We shall see him at SMALL LR.

Oh, by the way, I would like to mention that mine was the only SPAD that never tasted the dirt of the cotten field (arrogance, arrogance).

The electrics were awesome, I will be experimenting with one soon.

Many mentioned having an event later this year. For those who would be interested in an event later this year in the Memphis area (Millington), please let me know. The Barstormer's field could be a canidate for an event in the late Summer or early Fall.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:49 AM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A huge thanks to Lynn and his buddy for putting this thing on.
I think everyone there had a great time. Like Louis, I too was impressed with the electrics I saw. Even though I have been flying them for a while, I saw a couple of different types(applications) that I had not seen or flown yet, and they did very well.

The others already covered some of the great highlights, so here are some pics to back up what they mentioned......

Name:	Nl31029.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	3.2 KB
ID:	106227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67234.jpg
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	106228   Click image for larger version

Name:	In25918.jpg
Size:	26.5 KB