Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

ebay teedee

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 09:07 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ebay teedee

Man, I was working on my contest plane and picked up the .049 td I am gonna put on it, and it has a tank mount so I took it off and began to take the engine apart for insp. and man,,, this thing (although good compression) was rode hard and put up wet!!! the piston was tight but, I did give it a little reset tap with AJ's tool just to be sure,, it has been taken apart many times tool marks all over...I had to use vise grips to get the back plate off,, glow head lights up good, was gonna try and fire it up tonight but I gotta get ready for work and am covering the fuse right now,, no time for both,, but I'll let you guys know.....I swear it looks like it was burning a gas/oil mix,,, which btw will work if you can keep juice to the glow head,, but its a stinking mess and I doubt the glow head would last too long,, I did it on one of the heli engines with the tiny tank, oh and this is def. a "do this outdoors" exp.....Rog
Old 03-10-2004, 10:19 PM
MR Flyer57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ebay teedee

It is amazing what some of the cox engines can go through without dropping dead. I would take it apart and cook it in some antifreeze. It will clean it and it will come out looking like new. cook all but the plastic, it looks chalky after a bath in hot antifreeze. If it runs then forget what the out side looks like and run it.
Mr Flyer57
Old 03-11-2004, 09:58 AM
flyinrog

Well. tried to fire it up this morning,, no good, it would pop through the prime but thats about it,used an electric starter ,,the needle does look awfully blunt to me,, oh well good thing I bought one that was brand new too,, may try it tonight, ...Rog

I dont have a crock pot, I cleaned it up with degreaser and then lubed it up with fuel and assembled it...
Old 03-11-2004, 12:40 PM
MR Flyer57

It should run no matter what, is it sucking fuel through the line when you spin it with the starter?
The most trouble is when a little gunk gets stuck in the needle seat and clogs the passageway. I remove the needle and just use a syringe and fuel tube to pressure flood it out back the way it came. I also remove the venturi and check the little holes that go through it to make sure they aren't clogged.
It should get enough fuel to fire and run, the problem is that it might not turn too many RPMs not that it won't fire.
MR Flyer57
Old 03-11-2004, 12:58 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Rog,

You don't need no sticking Crock Pot!!! It's just a pain in the tail. I use a small sauce pan on the stove with a good bit of liquid dish soap. Drop your parts in there( no plastic) and let it heat up for just a few minutes. Remove parts.. hit it with an old tooth brush with water and your done... well clean up your pan of course or my wife will kick my butt....I mean pick up your mess

LAter,
Tim
Old 03-11-2004, 02:17 PM
jessiej

I agree with Mr Flyer. If it will run out the prime it should continue to run unless something is preventing fuel from entering the venturi. The holes in the NVA are so tiny that it dose not take much to clog them.

This is why I like engines with visible fuel lines so much better than the reedies- you can see what is happening.

jess
Old 03-11-2004, 08:57 PM
flyinrog

put the other ebay teedee on tonight, it's brand new and I had to open the needle up like 8 turns for it to start...its cooling down now...but didnt seem to have much power...Rog
Old 03-12-2004, 06:22 PM
flyinrog

okay, I've got 4 tanks through this new tee dee and it seems to be loosening up,, how many turns of the needle should open to peak? Once I get under about 5 turns it starts to die out and needs 6 to 7 turns just to start , is this normal?, I thought I remember the reedies only needing 2 and a 1/2 turns open to peak......ok td guru's cough up the info....Rog
Old 03-12-2004, 06:44 PM
bsindel

Rog,

It really sounds like you're using some fuel that's gone bad. If the fuel container is left open to the atmosphere for a time the nitro will will evaporate very quickly. Try some new fuel, who knows, it's worth a shot.

Bill S. (The other Bill)
Old 03-12-2004, 06:51 PM
flyinrog

Bill. this is from the same small container I was flying out of last week with the Norvel .049 with the cox glow head in it, and the only new fuel I have is 20% but all synthetic.....Rog
Old 03-13-2004, 12:51 AM
MR Flyer57

They can eat almost anything for a little while, try the new hot fuel and see what happens. Maybe just mix a little together with some of the old and see what happens. Also I have found a lot of difference with prop selection. What are you using? If you have it try a
5.5X4 or a 6X3 and see if it will turn up.
MR Flyer57
Old 03-13-2004, 09:16 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've cleaned engines similar to how Tim mentioned. I just boil the engine parts for 20 mins in water and dish soap. A little cleanup with an old toothbrush and they come out like new.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:25 PM
flyinrog

ok fuel is fine I flew the JKA trainer on it this morning, a little too[X(] much wind but I did 3 flights with it on the same fuel Ive been using,, so I tried a 5 x 3 prop and that did it ,she was screemin like a teedee oughta, now I gotta put in the rx stuff and test it (frankenstang)out...Rog
Old 03-16-2004, 01:27 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Roger,

Made it out to your new Burlington Flying Site on Saturday after the Pattern Seminar... GREAT SITE !!!.. SO ... now just when is the SMALL FLY?????>>>>>>>

Deadstik [8D]
Old 03-16-2004, 02:44 PM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

hmmm, the norvel is flying fine... but the t.d.'s are cantankerous...sounds about right!
Old 03-16-2004, 03:15 PM
bsindel

Guess that would make Norvel's the engine of choice for those skilled persons who fly ARF's, yah.

Bill S.(The other Bill)
Old 03-16-2004, 03:53 PM
flyinrog

Deadstick, theres a meeting tonight, gonna find out how/when/if I can have a funfly?? will let you know...Wild Fred the norvel is running on a cox glow head-go figure...the glow starter doesnt seem to get the Norvel glow head up hot enough, so I ordered a new one , both of mine are like 10 years old....Rog
Old 03-16-2004, 04:42 PM
jboy381-RCU

can't wait for the next NC small event...i got some to fly now...

john