Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Does this wing incidence sound right?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Does this wing incidence sound right?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 07:53 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Does this wing incidence sound right?

I inherited a powered glider. The wing is 72" span x 8" chord, and flat bottomed. Power will be a Norvel .061.

Anyway, the fuse was, bashed, so I'm trying to build another fuse for this wing section... and the tail feathers that were salvaged...

In sketching up the new fuse, I tried to copy the incidences from the old one. If I set the stab at 0 degrees, I get a wing incidence of about 2-1/2 to 3 degrees, and engine downthrust of about the same... I'm keeping the same moment arms.

Does that wing incidence sound right to you for a flat-bottomed airfoil? It seems a little excessive...

I'd also like to put landing gear on just to protect the prop and engine during landing, not to ROG. Any recommendations?

Suggestions, Mr. Spock????

Thanks,

Bob
Old 03-17-2004, 08:32 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Does this wing incidence sound right?

HI N1EDM! I have a glider with a flatbottom wing, and the wing and stab are zero-zero. The engine has a good deal of down thrust. I like having the engine above the wing, [I use the plane to teach people how to fly]. If you had a music wire skid hanging down, that would protect the prop some. If you use a rubber or nylon prop, it won't break if it hits grass.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:45 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Does this wing incidence sound right?

Thanks for the advice... this is a high-winger (the wing is polyhedral, I forgot to mention that before) or else I could make it a low-winger.

I did have the plane flying once and it seemed OK, but I suuuuuuuure wish I hadn't tossed out the old fuse.. I'd like to double check it. Yeah, the zero-zero setup DOES seem to make more sense. But, I also notice that some large planes, like the LT-40 have a 1.5 degree positive incidence.

The 2.5 degree incidence on this wing would seem to want to make it stall, it seems to me..

I haven't cut any balsa yet, which is why I am asking this question. It's not too late to make changes.

Any other ideas out there???

Bob