Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Speed 400 shrike

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 01:49 AM
Big_3Dan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed 400 shrike

Hello everyone!

I'm kindda of interested on building a speed 400 lanier shrike. The thing is my electric airplane knowledge is quite limited, so i'm turning to you guys to see if you can a answer a few questions.

For now i want to stick with something not very expensive i don;t really want to invest on a high performance brushless or anything so I'm sticking to the cheap speed 400 motor. My question is.

What kind of batteries should I use for this plane? NiCd or NimH?and how many mah would you recomend?

Can I use the speed controller of a zagi (speed400) reliably on this plane or should I buy the already controlled motor? I guess that the speed 400 shouldn't be drawing more than 20 amps.

Or whats another not so expensive setup i can use?

I want to the plane to be something cool and sporty not a competition machine just something to have fun with and be faster than the regular speed 400 zagi. I used to fly a .10 sized with a 25 norvel the thing was awsome so i really like this model. Well guys thanks in adavance for any help!!

Dan
Old 03-19-2004, 03:14 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Speed 400 shrike

The Speed 400 really does not like more than about 8 amps if you expect a decent life span out of it. Some of the racers use up to 10 or 11 amps but they tend to replace the motors a few times a season or perhaps even after every race day. At that current level some of the NiMH packs using the 1050 or 1100 mah cells would work great, not be too heavy and offer more run time than the NiCd's. Just be sure you get packs rated to handle at LEAST 10 amps to ensure you don't run them too close to their limits and just generate a lot of heat and shorter lifespans out of the packs.

The Zagi controller will be fine.

The Shrike uses a lot of wood so I would suggest that perhaps you'd be better off using the plans for your other shrike and build your own using selected very light wood or even using thinner sheeting and fuselage woods to help hold the weight down. A Speed 400 model really does not want to be over 16 to 17 oz if you want it to fly decently. And if you add up all the equipment that goes into it there's only about 5 or 6 oz left for the model itself.