Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Remember the Cox R/C Bee .049?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Remember the Cox R/C Bee .049?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 07:05 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Remember the Cox R/C Bee .049?

I was going through some old stuff of mine and uncovered some old Cox .049 engines. I have a Medallion, and a R/C Bee .049.

Does anyone remember that beast? Any experience with it? I'm wondering if that throttle sleeve on the exhaust stack actually worked or not? This is the only engine that is throttleable. The rest aren't

Just curious what your comments might be...

Bob
Old 03-21-2004, 07:18 PM
rcu guest-delete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Remember the Cox R/C Bee .049?

Bob, Thanks for bringing the Cox memories out. We started with the .049`s, some 35+ years ago. I remember riding my bike all over town following "rumors" of crashed Cox plastic airplanes, to then trade whatever possible ( bicicle tires, parts, toys, etc. ) for those little jewells. Yes, the sleeve works, and very well indeed, it cuts power somehow and also the noise. I remember we will drill a hole in the tank housing-bell to exit a fuel hose to attach an external fuel tank. Those little engines are incredible !!!
I still got some around, and I treasure them. JT
Old 03-21-2004, 08:04 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Medallian 049 on a sig hummer that has the muffer/throttle sleeve combo and it throttles down quite well.

AJC
Old 03-21-2004, 08:13 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the feedback so fast...
I just looked again and it's not a medallion that I have, but a Tee-Dee .049. I wonder, what would happen if I took the muffler/cylinder off of the R/C Bee and put it on the Medallion?

Any thoughts on that idea?

Glad to know that the R/C Bee was such a nice engine. Now, it looks like I'm going to have to find a 'ride' for it somewhere...

Keep those ideas coming!

Bob