Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Quick connect aileron linkage

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Quick connect aileron linkage

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 09:28 AM
newtech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick connect aileron linkage

I am working on the plug in wing panels for my contest entry. I want to use a single aileron servo but haven't come up with a clean simple linkage with a quick disconnect to control both ailerons. I am using carbon fiber arrow shafts for the plug in with anti-rotation pins at the trailing edge. The ailerons will use MoneyKote hinges flush with the top surface. Any ideas for a simple linkage?

I want the servo in the fuselage so I can easily plug in different wing panels at the field. Plan on the regular 6:1 aspect ratio balsa wings, powered glider wings and a set of EPP foam wings.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88193.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	116892  
Old 03-30-2004, 10:11 AM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Quick connect aileron linkage

I don't know, been using sig 1/2a strip aileron links. would require unsnapping clevis every time. Probably best to use 2 hs-55's or cs-21's with a 6" y harness; a little pricey, but simple hookup. used dual cs-21 on a bonanza a few years back, it worked well.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:39 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It can be done but you'll need to use a scheme that produces a clean and slop free method that minimizes the slop from free play and mechanical clearance.

One method that comes to mind would be a torque rod with the L sticking out from the sides about 1/4 of an inch. The roots of the ailerons would have a plywood U box with the opening facing inwards so the arm of the L slips into the groove of the U by at least a good 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch. The U box would be made from 1/16 ply in 3 layers and the torque rod would be 1/16 music wire so there's a snug but not tight fit. a bit of care will be needed so that the axis of the torque rod and the aileron hinges are very close to being in line or binding will take place.

The other way to do it is use external pushrods. Rods that come through the fuselage sides at an angle and use standard clevises and control horns. For appearance sake mount it all on the bottom of the wings.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:01 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use a dogbone and axle layout that our car friends use. Cut the dogbone in half, add a sleeve (ala torque tube), and 90 degree post to connect to the aileron servo. Allow the dogbone to extend thru the fuselage side. The receiving end of the torque tube in the wing would be similar to the attached axle image. As the wing slides on, just be sure the dogbone crosspiece lines up with the slots in the axle -- you can build your own or use the commercial version.

I might be inclined to use the dogbone and mate it with a slotted carbon fiber tube in the wing.

the "other" Andrew
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47048.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	116978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97124.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	116979  
Old 03-30-2004, 03:39 PM
newtech

ORIGINAL: Andrew

Use a dogbone and axle layout that our car friends use. Cut the dogbone in half, add a sleeve (ala torque tube), and 90 degree post to connect to the aileron servo. Allow the dogbone to extend thru the fuselage side. The receiving end of the torque tube in the wing would be similar to the attached axle image. As the wing slides on, just be sure the dogbone crosspiece lines up with the slots in the axle -- you can build your own or use the commercial version.

I might be inclined to use the dogbone and mate it with a slotted carbon fiber tube in the wing.

the "other" Andrew
I like the way this brain storming session zeroed in on an neat and simple solution. This will require a different hinging method than I was planning on but hinge points on the same axis as the dog bone would do it. Elegant. Thanks guys.

Photos shortly.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:55 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HI STEVE! You could go with standard strip linkage[torsion rods] if you cut notches in the fuselage sides for the linkage rods to slide past. If it is done on the bottom, nobody will know.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:49 AM
zoomzoooie

Music wire torque rods work well with soldered pieces of square brass tubes on the ends that fit together one inside the other. The torque rods from the ailerons are a basic "L" shape music wire. Solder on a piece of larger brass tube so about 1/2" protrudes out past the wing root. Make sure you allow enough hollow space inside the end of the brass tube for the smaller brass tube to fit inside when the wing is connected. The fuselage torque rods are "L" shape music wire too, but have to be placed inside a sleeve and fixed to the fuselage. Solder the smaller brass tubes on the ends of the fuselage torque rods flush with the fuselage sides. When the wing is place into position the square brass tubes fit together one inside the other. This setup is very easy to make, is fairly light and is not much different from conventional music wire aileron torque rods.

ZZ
Old 04-01-2004, 05:28 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Bellcranks or flex cables would work for this type of installation,