Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Servo mounting

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 06:45 PM
XJet
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo mounting

How are people mounting their servos these days?

Do you use bearers and screws, or mounting tape directly to the side of the fuselage?

I was thinking of making a servo-tray out of 1/16" ply but it's all extra weight right?
Old 03-31-2004, 06:50 PM
jboy381-RCU

Default RE: Servo mounting

i foam tape mine to the fuse wall...wrap the servo first with packing,then stick the foam tape to that...the foam tape is he$% to get off the servo if you don't...works well and holds tight...

john
Old 04-01-2004, 07:31 PM
encan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jboy i have used the same method to mount the servos to the fuselage with servo tapes.
i noticed that the servos moving back and forward as i operate the rudder and elevator. is it ok to have that or how do you avoid it.

EC
Old 04-01-2004, 10:18 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Encan

If you notice the servos moving on the foam tape that indicates there is friction or restricted movement. Check the surface hinges for limited travel and check the controls for friction. Basically you should be able to unmount the pushrod and reach in with your fingers and move the controls at least as far as the servo does with extremely little resistance. Try to hold the end of the pushrod very close to where it sits when on the servo so you sense any binding that the servo will see.

As for me I'm a traditionalist. Grommets and screws forever..
Old 04-02-2004, 07:20 PM
jboy381-RCU

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

Encan

If you notice the servos moving on the foam tape that indicates there is friction or restricted movement. Check the surface hinges for limited travel and check the controls for friction. Basically you should be able to unmount the pushrod and reach in with your fingers and move the controls at least as far as the servo does with extremely little resistance. Try to hold the end of the pushrod very close to where it sits when on the servo so you sense any binding that the servo will see.

As for me I'm a traditionalist. Grommets and screws forever..

bruce is right encan...did you tape the bottom of the servo to the floor of the fuse???when i put mine in the fuse,i stick it to the side and the bottom of the fuse at the same time...that way two surfaces are beening held by the tape...it helps to keep the wiggle of the servo down if it binds up...

john
Old 04-03-2004, 07:35 AM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on construction method...
If it`s a foamy, try wrapping the servo in tape then hot melt glueing it in. Pretty permanent but if need be rip it out and peel off the tape- quick and really strong- won`t move in a 'ahem fast landing..

J.M
Old 04-03-2004, 08:21 AM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you need a good tape too, not that crap you find at the supermarket checkout stand[:'(]. i use 3M VHB and have never had a servo come loose unless it ripped the fuselage apart.

dave