Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

ap wasp .061 vs norvel .061

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

ap wasp .061 vs norvel .061

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 05:07 AM
paulsen
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ap wasp .061 vs norvel .061

Anyone know how well the ap wasp .061 performs,I only here absolute good thing's about the norvel,so I wondered how they might be compared?[8D]
Old 04-02-2004, 08:17 AM
Lynn S

Default RE: ap wasp .061 vs norvel .061

I have two AP .061s and like them very well.It is very easy to adjust the carb and idles great. It is conventional ABC construction so you don't have to worry about the special break-in as you do with the all alum. Norvel. It has been reported here that the AP will run about 1K less rpms and some can run the same rpms as Norvels. I just bought a new one for the ace P-51 I'm building.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:15 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have not had a Norvel so I can't say how my AP 0.061 compares to it. I was suprised at how long the little AP took to fully break in. When I was runing 10% nitro fuel it did not have a great idle or mid range. When I switched to YS 20/20 fuel it was a different engine. The idle was real low, perfect transition and a screaming top end. I was bummed when I hit a fence and tore the carb off the case. I am waiting for the new case to come in and hope it runs as well.

Dru.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:32 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't heard of many problems with the AP engines, but I had an Norvel .061 a few years ago in a HOB Chipmunk. It is a little more involved in break-in but not by much. I flew that chip for about a year and the rod let go on one flight. I guess you could say that norvel has the faster engine of the two but it comes at a price in time. The norvel engine is refined to put out the most power for an engine that size but I believe the rod was over-looked and it shows in time. I haven't seen many threads on bad AP engines in here, infact, I can't find any.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55168.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	117920  
Old 04-02-2004, 11:52 PM
paulsen
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for the info.Does the wasp require a "special" glow plug or are they fit for standard plugs?
Old 04-03-2004, 12:09 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The glow heads are interchangeable, but you have to keep the norvel head clamp with the norvel head, and the AP clamp with the AP head. The muffler retainer on the AP is not as good as the NORVEL, so I use aircraft wire to help hold it on . Both engines have kind of sloppy fitting carbs, some guys silicone them in. Both engines are great! I make sure to run over 20% caster and 15-30% nitro fuel. The AP glow heads are $4.50, and they work just fine in COX engines too. I have seen NORVEL glow heads for about the same price recently. It's kind of strange that AP makes a couple of "paper weights" in the next 2 sizes up, and NORVEL makes nothing but the strongest sport engines for their weight that you can buy!