Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox .049

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 11:08 PM
newbie flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox .049

I have an old Vintage Cox .049 (60-70's??) and need to know somethings:

1) How do I know when my Glow Plug is bad?
2) I found some type of gunk in the Cylinder it's sticky like dryed Oil or sometype of Lubercate?? Should I removed that, or let it be?
3) What Ratio of Fuel do I need to run?
4) What do I need to do before I try to start to it (It hasn't been starting in 20-30 years(lol))- Break it in - anything else.

Thanks! [8D][8D]
Old 06-08-2004, 11:37 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Cox .049

Noob:

If the engine will start the glow head is good electrically. This can also be checked by resistance, it should read about 1/2 ohm. When the engine is running at speed, if the rpm falls when you disconnect the glow heat the plug is probably bad, but it could be the fuel.

Cox engines have plain bearing cranks, and iron pistons running in steel sleeves. They MUST be run with a castor oil fuel, at least 20% oil. Around 20-25% nitro gives best results.

The goop in the cylinder is congealed castor oil. Don't scrape or sand it, just put some clean fuel in to soften it, and work the piston up and down to free it.

You didn't say whether it's a reed valve or rotary valve engine. In either case the small fuel ports may be clogged, and if it's a reedy the reed may be corroded or stuck. This will need to be checked also.

Hope this helps, and I'm going to move this into the 1/2 and 1/8 A forum. You'll get people there more familiar with the Cox engines.

Bill.