Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Problem with cox engine

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Problem with cox engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 07:50 AM
shoko1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with cox engine

Hi all
My Cox engine doesnt want to start! when i prime few drops of fuel into the cylinder and trying to start its works for 2-3 seconds only.
the valve open 3 rounds +- and the engine can get fuel(the fuel tank upper than the engine and full, also the tubing are good).
what can i do?
thanks
liran
Old 06-12-2004, 08:16 AM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Problem with cox engine

is this a reed valve "banana" engine? has it been sitting for a long time without being run? if so then the reed or needle valve may be clogged with dried castor grunge.

try blowing through the fuel line while turning the needle in and out. more air should pass as you open the needle.

hook a large tube to the venturi. you should be able to blow air in but not suck air out.

if you have problems with these tests then clean the engine in thinner. if both tests check out then you may just need to open the needle a bit. sometimes the banana or product engines will need the needle about 4-1/2 turns open to start.

dave
Old 06-12-2004, 08:20 AM
rrragmanliam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It' sounds like you have a TD, is that right. If it's running for a few seconds then your glow head is good, make sure it's tight. Be sure the fuel nipple ( this is where you hook up the fuel line to the engine) isn't cloged. I check it by opening the needle valve about 4 turns and then hooking up a piece of fuel tube and blowing through it, you should hear a small hissing sound as air flows through the orfice. Also inspect your fuel linne and tank to be sure they are assembled correctly and there are no leaks or problems. I've had holes in the fuel line both internaly and externaly with the tank before, and also had a clunk come off the line. Next before you hook up your glow clip make sure you have fuel in the line all the way up to the carb by choking the motor and flipping the prop a few times. If all these things check out I think your problem is that you don't have the needle open enough. I have some cox engines that I have to open 5-6 turns to get then started (by hand). Try opening it to four turns if the motor dies try five turns.

Darren
Old 06-12-2004, 09:23 AM
shoko1

yes its the banana engine
i can blow air but not suck.
the plug its good.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:13 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It's burning off the prime just fine and you can blow air but not suck it back so the reed sounds like its OK. The last thing is to check that the needle valve assmebly is not clogged with old dried out fuel residue. Take the needle right out and pump some fuel through thhe spraybar both ways with great force. Wipe off the end of the needle to ensure it's clean and put back in. Open the needle 4 turns and try to pump some fuel into the line. Fuel should come out the venturi on the back if the orifice hole is clear. If not open the needle another 3 or 4 turns and use something that can pump some fuel through with more pressure to clear the orifice. Once you have fuel dripping out the carb the engine should run.

Good luck.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:30 PM
shoko1

I'll try Tomorrow.
thanks
Old 06-12-2004, 01:01 PM
rrragmanliam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also I forgot to suggest putting a small piece of fuel tubing on the needle vave to seal uot air leeks.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:52 AM
shoko1

thanks all.
now its work.