Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

McCoy .098 engines

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 12:03 AM
Dan Vincent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default McCoy .098 engines

In 1949 McCoy introduced their .098 which was the smallest engine in their lineup at that time. These little beauties were very popular. They were very good looking, easy starting, compact and had excellent power for the period.

McCoy made several versions of their .098 but only the first year, 1949 and the last year of production 1955, had shiny cases. All others made in the years between '49 and '55 had dull finish cases. The first model, made in 1949, had a tall glo plug, thin bump type beam mounts and a curved spray bar with short NV. All later models had a stubby little glo plug and they later went to a much thicker beam mount because of breakage on the bump style beams.

I'll just show these shiny case models for now because they are the prettiest of the .098's.

In 1954 McCoy introduced their diesel which produced much more power.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16908.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	143773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35892.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	143774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30773.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	143775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87894.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	143776  
Old 06-16-2004, 01:54 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: McCoy .098 engines

Oooo, I've got a shiny 29 that looks just like what the middle one would be if it grew up. The spittin' image.

Once again thanks Dan for sharing with us the ancestors of our modern small mills.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:23 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dan,

Dug out my McCoy .09's. For the .098 glows, One looks exactly like the one on the right in the top picture except the needle has a spring. The other is similar except it has a red anodized tank with two tubes that reach up as high as the center of the exhaust, and a replacement for the prop washer.

My McCoy .09 diesel has a replacement for the prop washer. It's tank is similar to yours except it has a recessed screw holding the tank, and where yours has the tubing entering the tank, mine has a nipple similar to the .098 glow (right/top pic). The needle for the diesel is interesting to me since I had assumed it was a replacement. There is nothing to hold it in position. Perhaps some blue lok-tite on the threads would be appropriate.

Mine were purchased used from our favorite auction site so I have no idea of the original configuration.

Have you run any of the glows? I was wondering what prop to use. I was thinking 7x4 or 8x3. I hope to eventually put one in a CL Guided Missle for OTS.

George
Old 06-16-2004, 08:18 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Dan I think I can speak for all when I say all of us motorheads appreciate the time and effort and pics you post on here, you must have a massive collection and I for one thoroughly enjoy seeing you post pics of engines and detailed history of them,,alot of which I have never heard of before..keep em coming ...Rog
Old 06-16-2004, 08:21 AM
Dan Vincent

Thanks Bruce...

George,

Sounds like your red tank is from an OK Cub. My favorite McCoy .098 powered model was an old Testors "Avro Baby" biplane. I borrowed it from an older fellow, at his insistance, and flew it for at least one summer with no crashes. The Avro Baby was advertised in 1951 and I never saw another until a friend recently sent me a new kit.

The McCoy diesel tank had a slight taper, with a raised ring where it meets the rear of the engine. McCoy showed the "L" shaped needle in their ads and I tried to run my original one with that needle. As you would suspect, vibration caused it to back out and lose the needle setting. I replaced it with a conventional spring type .098 needle and I think eventually ended up with a McCoy .049 needle because it had less mass to rotate.

Over a period of time many guys yanked the tank to mount the diesel in profiles such as the Sterling Ringmaster Jr. I had many flights with that combo and the McCoy diesel had no problem keeping the control lines tight. For those who never flew control line models you had to have enough power in your model to keep the lines from coming in on you or you would lose control. Windy conditions caused you to learn how to run backwards quickly. George is probably chuckling at this as he reads it.

I've seen the McCoy Diesel fitted with McCoy .098 aluminum tanks, Wen-Mac .049 and OK Cub red tanks. The original tank is very hard to find.

The glo McCoy .098 takes a 7 X 3 or 7 X 4 while the McCoy Diesel runs well on a 8 X 3 or 8 X 4. You could use a smaller prop on the diesel but then you are just making a lot of revs and not taking advantage of the torque from the diesel.

Funny thing about these engines. A smooth-running .098 is a sweet sound. The fact that later .09's like the K&B or Cox TD had more power mean little to me when I want to enjoy a particular engine. These engines were great in their day and for nostalgia...they're still great.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:55 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dan, most of the 098's that I had as a kid were used and the ringed model. Don't remember having one of the lapped types. To the point, you are correct that they certainly wern't powerhouses. A jr Ringmaster with this motor was flown on 42 foot .012 lines and it wasn't a real barnburner. Mine also wore out the rings very quickly and as i had no real money then the starting drill with a worn out motor was a shot of 50 wt oil a prime and flip smartly. When they landed they had no compression but as the cooled then you could repeat the procedure and keep flying.
While they wern't the greatest of motors they do have a lot of nostalgia for me. I did manage to get a NIB example for myself but will never use it.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:44 AM
jessiej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[Dan I think I can speak for all when I say all of us motorheads appreciate the time and effort and pics you post on here,]

I echo that! Ypur posts have been most informative and enjoyable.

jess
Old 06-16-2004, 10:22 AM
Dan Vincent

Thanks Jess

Dennis,

The lapped piston McCoy .098 had the edge for durability. The later ones had more rugged beam mounts too.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:53 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dan:

A McCoy 09 and a Testor's "Senior 09" airplane kit were Christmas presents to me, 1950 or 1951, sometime around there.

Testor's had the "Freshman," Sophomore," "Junior," and "Senior" stunters sized for the 09 and 29, I think there was also a series for the 19 but I'm not sure.

Anyway, the "Senior 09" was really beyond my building skills of the time, but I did manage to get it together. Whether I just built it too heavy (probable) or the engine was too weak (also possible) it never flew well. And I have no idea what ever happened to either the plane or the engine.

Bruce:

A McCoy 29? How about this one? My very first c/l speed engine, dates from 1954 or 1955. Could have been 1953. Not certain.

Bill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37877.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	144035  
Old 06-16-2004, 06:02 PM
Dan Vincent

William,

Testors had some nice looking airplanes in those days. I have plans for the .09 "Sophomore" & "Junior." Beautiful lines but not much wing area. I always suspected Wen-Mac got their inspiration for their plastic "Aeromite" from these models.

See my posting on the "Avro-Baby" biplane for another beauty from Testors that flew great.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:17 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dan:

The Cox stunter with the stamped aluminum wing looked a lot like the Seniors too, except the cylinder of the Cox sticking out the top while the Senior had the engine sideways.

Bill.