Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

POGO & PAGCO .09 Engines

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

POGO & PAGCO .09 Engines

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 12:57 PM
Dan Vincent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default POGO & PAGCO .09 Engines

One of the more unorthodox .09's has to be the POGO which evolved into the PAGCO.

First I have to explain a bit about the connection to Mel Anderson's Spitfire engines.

In 1951 Mel Anderson ran full-page ads in Model Airplane News, showing his new "Hornet" .099 saying it would be the hot new engine for 1951.

Well I waited and waited but it never happened. Mel did make a run of parts for the Hornet .099 such as heads, Pistons/cylinders and backplates but as far as I know only one or two prototype cases were ever built.

After the demise of Spitfire a fellow named Ted Dunne took the Hornet parts and incorporated them into a new design in 1959 called the POGO. The POGO had a very long crankshaft and an updraft venturi (like the old Atom & Arden .09's) to make a very odd-looking engine. The POGO was available in two versions; the beam mount type and the radial mount type with no beams.

A quick comparison of the head and backplate machining on a Royal Spitfire .065 and a POGO .09 will leave no doubt that Mel Anderson was involved with the design.

A pneumatic hose was used to activate the exhaust throttle.

After the POGO, it became the PAGCO in 1961 with the help of engine wizzard Bill Atwood. Pagcos came with several style of heads.

The main visual difference between the POGO and PAGCO is the prop screw on the POGO and the full threaded shaft on the PAGCO.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47539.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	143955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66715.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	143956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93544.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	143957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20270.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	143958  
Old 06-16-2004, 04:29 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: POGO & PAGCO .09 Engines

I have understood they were used as car engines as well. I had not seen one and was interested. They go for good prices on ebay. Finally one came up which had been owned by someone whose only tool was a pair of vicegrips, so I got it cheap. It started first flip and ran better than I expected (sorry, I don't remember which prop or tach numbers). I never could decide to put it in an airplane, so I put it back on ebay and made a small profit.

Jim
Old 06-16-2004, 06:10 PM
Dan Vincent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim,

Scale model builders use to complain about engines being too short to properly cowl. Those POGO and PAGCO engines would be ideal for long nose WWII fighters.

There aren't a lot of these engines around, but a must for any American .09 collection.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:39 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dan,

Wasn't the .09 POGO sold in a plastic RTF of the XFY-1 "Pogo", or am I getting them confused?

Those are some nice examples.

George