Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Testors' "Avro-Baby" bipe from 1951

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Testors' "Avro-Baby" bipe from 1951

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 06:53 PM
Dan Vincent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Testors' "Avro-Baby" bipe from 1951

Guys, I just had to show you this one.

This is a Testors' Avro-Baby from 1951. It had a 22" wingspan and was built from sheet balsa.

The aluminum cabane strut cage, landing gear and cowl made for a perfectly lined up bipe.

Let me tell you how I found out about this model.

One day I was flying my .19 and .29 stunt models at the local school football field when this fellow showed up on a beautiful Matchless motorcycle. He sat there for a while watching me fly and then asked me of I was going to be there for a while. I said "Yes, 'til I run out of fuel or it gets too dark." He then climbed on his Matchless and left. About a half hour later he showed up with a little light blue biplane strapped to the back of the bike.

He said he wanted to loan it to me and if I cracked it up he just wanted the McCoy .098 engine back.

I was a little tentative about flying someone elses' model but finally gave in and decided to try it.
The little McCoy eagerly fired up and the little bipe jumped into the air. It seemed to be rock solid with a pretty good pull on the lines so I tried a loop...no problem, nice and tight. Then I tried some inverted flight and it held altitude very well. When I landed it to refuel I looked at the airfoil...sure 'nuf, it was symmetrical so I tried some figure-8's. Again, the little bipe responded beautifully.

That little Avro-Baby quickly became a favorite and I flew it at least once a week all that summer. At the end of the year the fellow on the Matchless showed up and was amazed to see it was still in one piece.

Ever since then I have looked for a kit so I could build one for myself. A good friend found one for me and now I can make one. But......a while ago I was talking to John Brodak and we were discussing older models. When I mentioned the Avro-Baby he said he had one too and loved it.

Now I'm wondering if John might want to borrow this kit so he could add it to the Brodak kit line.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47799.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	144060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22857.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	144061  
Old 06-17-2004, 05:54 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Testors' "Avro-Baby" bipe from 1951

Aluminum prop?

George
Old 06-17-2004, 09:59 AM
Dan Vincent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Testors' "Avro-Baby" bipe from 1951

George,

Yup, aluminumim prop.

They were pretty heavy and could spin a Spitzy or Infant .020 several times due to flywheel effect. These props were common in the 50's.

Caution, bring bandaids with the aluminum prop.