Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

NC Small Bird Fly In ~ Availability Check

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

NC Small Bird Fly In ~ Availability Check

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 07:57 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NC Small Bird Fly In ~ Availability Check

Dear "Small" NC Dudes,

I want to check to see how many of you MAY be interested in attending our next get-togther on the fourth Sunday in July (the 27th) at the JCAC field near Smithfield.

Notice I said. "MAY" be interested. I don't need a firm commitment. I just want to see if there is enough interest to take the request to the club to clear the date for us.

The last time I counted there were nine of us so I figure if I get four "yeas" in the next couple of days, I'll go for it. So Bailey,Bob, Brian, Dan, John, Roger, Tim, and Timothy (notice the alphabetic order) let me know what you think. You can send me Emails, PMs, US Mail letters, or drop by my grand country estate in person.

Other interested flyers are certainly welcome. In fact, there have been a couple of guys in the local combat group who have expressed interest as well. Wouldn't it be nice if we could get double-digit attendance? Kewl.

We'll do dogs and burgers of course - plus I'll come up with some kind of prize for a drawing. But no events or contests (unless you insist).

I keep reading about the new models youse guys have that I haven't seen yet. I don't want to make you feel bad, but this is a form of cruelty to me you know. I reckon that the only way that you can make me feel better is for y'all to come on down on the 27th.

By the way, I have been asked if a person had to have a (.15 or less) model to attend any of the JCAC Sml Brd Flyns. We talked about this at a club meeting and the decision was unanymous that the only requirement for a visitor to fly was AMA insurance (AND in this case an interest in small models). We can handle all kinds of models at the JCAC field so bring whatever you'd like to show us.

Also, out-of-towners who would like to fly both Saturday and Sunday can be accommodated. Contact me.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:11 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NC Small Bird Fly In ~ Availability Check

Cant commit due to hours, but I'd like to make it so I'll watch for other interested parties...Along those same lines though, I did talk to the club VP today about having mine in Sept at the old field, I expressed concern about tying up the field for 7 or 8 guys to have a fun fly and he said" heck with em its your club too" go for it, if they dont have something 1/2a they cant fly, so I will bring it up at the next meeting...Rog
Old 06-23-2004, 09:59 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Rog,

It would be great if you could make it on the 27th, but I understand that it might not be worth the trip if there aren't enough guys there. That's why I asked for a show of hands.

As for your hosting in Sept, those dates were just an idea I ran up the pole to see who would salute - figuratively speaking. I was just searching for a way to keep us going.

Like I said in the beginning of this post, our club decided to allow all visitors to fly whatever they bring - its just that we encourge the small models during the Sml Brd Flyns. So maybe it would smooth your path if your members could fly their regular stuff too.

For what its worth, the only thing that was different when we mixed the small models with the "normal" activity was that our little models tend to be flown closer and they tend to land deadstick. And therefore there is more on-runway human activity than usual. So in our pilot meetings we have emphasized extra care and the use of spotters to keep an extra set of eyes on things.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:46 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Raymond, is my calender wrong? It says the 4th Sunday in July is the 25th. I need to check because i am suppose to be out of town that week. I will let you know for sure next week.

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com
Old 06-24-2004, 06:52 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Raymond,

I should be in!!! I am going to the OuterBanks starting on the 26th. BUT I should be able to talk the wife into letting me play on the 25th.

Later,
Tim
Old 06-24-2004, 07:32 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Bob,

You ARE right! The last Sunday in JULY IS the 25th. I must have looked at June by mistake. Oh, will my errors never cease. Wait, it must have been those voices I keep hearing - or perhaps an incoming message from the Great Giant Head.

Well, I can assure you that I will make no further mistakes until the next time.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:16 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Raymond,

I'll certainly see what I can do to make it that day. I can probably have a new little project done by then too! It's a good excuse to start one anyway. 'Course who really needs and excuse anyway?

Brian
Old 06-26-2004, 07:47 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Raymond,

I can't give you a firm commitment till around July 1, but right now, I don't see a problem with it. Should be fun... get a couple of your combat planes ready too.... I'm dying to try it!!

Dan..

aka deadstik....[8D]
Old 06-26-2004, 11:29 PM
prole
My Feedback: (3)

BUMMER!!!!

First I missed the VR/CS flyin that I had been looking forward to for 6 months and now this.

that weekend is NAMM, which is the National Association of Music Merchandisers. It is the big trade show for anyone and everyone that makes and sells anything that you can make music with. Guitar makers, drum makers, keyboards, samplers, the whole bit. This is the first year the shop is actually getting a booth so. being the guy in the basement making these, I might as well go and get some praise. Plus I am getting paid and getting an all expenses trip to Nashville for the 22-26th.

Id love to come out to the field to see you Raymond, but might have to pass till the next one[]

but if for whatever reason it gets moved to day the first weekend in Aug, then Im there for sure....

timothy
Old 06-27-2004, 07:23 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Timothy,

I have given it considerable thought, I even consulted the Cox small parts catalog - and I have decided to grant you absolution from attending the next Sml Brd Flyn. However, you WILL be expected to be quite humble the next time we meet AND you will have to bring a new, never-seen-by-us-before model to be flown at that time.

I'm sorry but we have to be firm with our attendance policies or other people will expect to be treated like normal folk.

We have to maintain a zero tolerance for costume malfunctions too so be sure and wear sturdy clothes when you do show up (just a friendly reminder).

Oh all right, have a good time with your musical buddies, but try and think about us between jam sessions if you can.