Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

San Antonio TX "Pop Gun" Fly-In - July 17-18 Anyone going?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

San Antonio TX "Pop Gun" Fly-In - July 17-18 Anyone going?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 05:29 PM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default San Antonio TX "Pop Gun" Fly-In - July 17-18 Anyone going?

Here's the release from the District 8 site.

JULY 17-18--San Antonio, TX (C) Pop Gun 2004 Site: Bandera Road Field, San Antonio, TX Bob Severance CD, 4410 Huntington Woods, San Antonio, TX 78249 Phone:210-497-8121(day), 210-493-2709(eve) Sponsor: San Antonio Prop Busters #1227 Any size aircraft, engines limited to .25 two stroke, .30 four stroke or equal electric. Some pilot prizes, trophys. No overnight facilities, motels nearby. Small fly-in at our small field. $15 registration open at 8 a.m., flying from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Saturday, 9 a.m. - 2 p.m. Sunday. CD Email: [email protected]

Any of you fellows going?

phil in austin
Old 06-26-2004, 02:45 PM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: San Antonio TX "Pop Gun" Fly-In - July 17-18 Anyone going?

You know I haven't started my Halfwit yet, this may be just what I need to kick me int he pants.

Duke
Old 06-28-2004, 07:18 AM
Digger-RCU

Phil, I am planning on going, and I will drag one of my buddies with me I think.

Hope to see you there!

Randy (Digger) Birt
Old 07-11-2004, 12:09 PM
Digger-RCU

I just wanted to give eveyone one more heads up about this event in San Antonio. I recently E-mailed Bob S. and he says it is a go!!!!! Lets get as many texas SMALLS there as we can.!!!!!

Randy (Digger) Birt
Old 07-20-2004, 08:52 PM
SAPropbuster
My Feedback: (5)

Randy,

Sure happy you made the trip up to SA, but sad you had to take so many planes back home broken!

ALAS, I have good news!

YOU WON the 'Best' Military SMALL Award!

You will be receiving it soon in the mail.

Sure hope you get that MiG fixed up! I still can't believe you found that MiG in all that brush!!

And that P-47! It sure made quite a dent in the Suburban!!!

Hope you guys can make it back up in '05!

Bob Severance
Old 07-20-2004, 11:01 PM
Digger-RCU

Bob, your letting out all my sad stories that I wanted to hide away (Grin)

Yes, For all to know, I smacked a car with one of my planes.

I cant believe it!!! I am still hanging my head in shame!!!!

Also,

The mig had a servo failure, and went into the thickest brush I have ever seen. We were able to find it without too much trouble though. Most folks there were surprised.

It was a great little smalls event. Very enjoyable. More folks should try to make it next year.

Thanks again Bob!!!!

Randy (Digger) Birt
Old 07-21-2004, 08:41 PM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

Oh, and what a sound it did make!!!! POW!!! (Just teasing a bit, Digger. I felt as bad about it as you!)

Finding that Mig as a huge stroke of luck. That jungle was huge! At least I had my hiking boots and jeans on, so I didn't get all scuffed up...

Yep, Digger and I had the only really small (under .25) glow engines there. All the rest, that weren't .25's (maybe a .15 or two) were all electrics. Yes, I had my shock flyer out there also, and played with it some. It's a neat field, though Digger found the boundaries of it quite quickly... []

I had a good time, though I wish there were more planes and people to see. Digger and his friend Andy camped with me and swapped lies all day long. Broke my GLH, or more to the point, the carb popped off the TD .049 body, so I need a new red plastic crankcase. I hope I can find one soon... I was SO ready to zip that little guy around. And speaking of the Lil Guy, I did put in a flight or two on it, but that little tank doesn't last long enough. Digger flew his little P47, and was super cool to see! He also flew his P39 (the truck wrecker) with retracts, but he couldn't seem to get that Norvel .15 up to par, so it suffered through the day. Looked great in the air, though. Andy flew his Herr Ranger, and did quite well with it.

Digger finally got tired of the folks asking about the Mig, so he charged it up, fired it up, and promptly threw it into the dirt! Maybe that's where his "Digger" name comes from? Seems it needs LOTS of speed to get up 'on step' and flying. So, we replace the prop, fire it up again, up steps me, and I give it the old World Class Heave Ho! and away she went. Did real well for about a lap, then the elevator starts going wonky, and it gets worse, and worse, and further and further out, then finally disappears down behind the trees, looking WAY out there. We all hop in my truck, and spend the next 30 minutes or so crawling around some of the thickest brush I've seen yet. Ol' Digger finally walks right up on it, really close to the field itself. It is very repairable, though ALL the radio equipment crushed itself into dwarf star matter up in the nose, taking all the inside formers with it. He says he'll fix it, at least good enough to hang up again!

I flew the Yard Bee for the first time, and promptly poked it in the ground, as it didn't have ailerons. My left hand just couldn't seem to keep up with it, darn it. So, I just programmed a R-A mix, and all was fine. Boring, but fine.

Some other gents had some neat planes there, and one fellow (Pat) with a yellow Shrike, tied on a 50 ft streamer, and everybody started chasing him all over! Very entertaining! I think Bob S. was the only guy who actually got a cut with his red Ace Pacer (little pattern plane), and he did it twice! Another fellow with a little AT-6 couldn't get that thing off the ground, despite rolling over 500 feet of asphalt and grass. It finally ended up in a tree (I think twice), and shredded the wings. Another gent had a really hard time getting his little .30 4 stroke Waco off the ground, but kept trying, finally got up about 30 feet, stalled it, and it went absolutely straight in, shortening the cowl and firewall by several inches. What a crunch it made right out in front of me! I think those were the only real crashes. No, there was another one early in the morning, a blue and yellow plane, but I couldn't tell what it was before...

A bunch of us flew several different types of electrics, from profile 3D machines to some big glider types. There were only a few moments here and there that there wasn't a plane in the air.

Over all, a good day. Thanks to the San Antonio Prop Busters! And Digger and Andy, who kept me entertained all day!

Phil in austin