Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

New Receivers for 1/2A

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

New Receivers for 1/2A

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 02:16 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New Receivers for 1/2A

Hitec has 3 new small recievers out.

Although they are single conversion, Hitec claims that they all have 1 mile + range, unlike the old Feather which has a range of 1000'.

HFS-04MG
4 Channel
http://www.hitecrcd.com/Receivers/HFS04MG.htm

HFS-05MG
The fifth channel is actually channel 6, so you can do flapperons on a 5 channel RX.
http://www.hitecrcd.com/Receivers/HFS05MG.htm

HFS-05MS
5 channels, full rang and weighs only .32 oz.
http://www.hitecrcd.com/Receivers/HFS05Ms.htm

I'm going to buy an HFS-05MS as soon as I can find a place that has them in stock.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:45 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: New Receivers for 1/2A

Looks very interesting. They don't say much about the glitching issue that plagued the Feather. But the range looks good.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:18 PM
XJet
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would you bother with one of these when both Berg and FMA have nice, very small/light, cheap, very reliable receivers *with* smart decoding that does an amazing job of coping with interference and high noise levels?

Hitec make good gear but their receivers are now about 5-years behind the times in terms of technology.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:40 PM
Bipe Flyer

Hitec make good gear but their receivers are now about 5-years behind the times in terms of technology.
Maybe that's why Hitec just came out with a bunch of new receivers.

The only FMA receivers I've seen are considerable more expensive than the new Hitecs.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong hobby shops. Who carries Berg and FMA receivers online?
Old 06-30-2004, 09:45 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use an HFS-04MG and I can't say enough good things about it. It has several hours in the air now, and I haven't had a single glitch. It is cheaper than a Berg, and is available locally, with parts/tech support. Good enough reason for me.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:58 AM
Time Pilot

If you're looking for Berg Rx's, try www.backyardflying.com or www.zebrahobby.ca (both Canadian sites). Both will ship the Rx for free.

I've done business with both and have been happy. Will usually do business with Martin at Backyardflying because of his quick turnaround time in answering emails and general good service. Never had a problem with him. He'll even do special orders for you.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:53 AM
Bipe Flyer

Thanks for the tip Time Pilot. It looks like the Berg can use a JR crystal which would save me a few bucks.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:37 AM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer

Maybe that's why Hitec just came out with a bunch of new receivers.
But I see no mention of DSP or any other kind of smart decoding being used in these new receivers so they're hardly a step forward into the 21st century for Hitec. The company does have smart decoder technology but for some reason they're only using it in their 75MHz receivers for surface use.

The only FMA receivers I've seen are considerable more expensive than the new Hitecs.
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong hobby shops. Who carries Berg and FMA receivers online?
I get my FMA M5's from Radical RC where they sell (from memory) for less than a Hitec 555.

The Bergs are available from several sources and are/were cheaper than the FMA units.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:39 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

I have HT 555 and Electron6 RX. As you all know ther'e proven duel conversion technology. There light and I've never had a glich with them. I have a total of six of them so I wont be buying any recivers soon. If I were, I think I'd go with the Berg. I'm always a little aprehensive about trying "Newely intoduced products" even if they do come from a respectable MFG like Hitec. Let's let a few people fly them and see what there expierence is.

Darren
Old 07-02-2004, 10:10 AM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

The recent huge surge in the popularity of small electric models has certainly brought a plethora of great small RX units into the market, which is nice for those of us who enjoy 1/2A and smaller models. The same can be said for the huge micro and submicro servo choice.

I own and have had great results from Hitec 555, and Electron 6, FMA M-5, Berg 4 and 5 and even from GWS R4P units! I will admit that my old Hitec Feather was not good, but it is the only bad Rx I have ever encountered.

Without the mass of micro electric advances, the folks that prefer small glow and those of us who enjoy both would have many fewer choices and still be limited to things like Hitec 555s and Futaba s-133/S-33 servos...

So, take it easy on those electric flyers...
Old 07-02-2004, 11:33 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

I have had a HFS-04MG for almost a year and I have had no problems with it!!

Later,
Tim
Old 07-02-2004, 02:54 PM
Bipe Flyer

I've been using Hitec 555, JR 700R or GWS R4 receivers for 1/2A. I just ordered a Berg from backyardflying.com.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:25 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just got the FMA FS8 with all kinds of features like programable failsafe, glitch counter, go/no go channel scanner, bla, bla, bla...

FMA says it weighs an ounce but on my scale it shows a measly 16 grams with the full length antenna. thought it would be strictly for use on the big planes but i guess not.

dave