Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Question on crankcases for Norvel 061?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Question on crankcases for Norvel 061?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 12:15 PM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on crankcases for Norvel 061?

Was flying July 4th at my parents place with my little 30" hummingbird r/e with the 061. Was doing some show off stuff and put it down in soem tall grass once after doing a snap too low. It went into an inverted spin about 30 ft up and I flubbed the recovery. Picked it up out of the grass and everything looked ok, so I fueled up again and went for another flight. While making a low fast pass about 30 ft out, I pulled up hard and heard a pop and I actually saw the tail feathers come off [&o]. It immediately nosedived into the dirt and I must have loosened the tail in the first crash and not noticed.

Anyway, the plane came through ok except for stripped servos (its built like a tank with 1/4 slab sides). But the mounting lugs on the Big Mig 061 r/c are ruined. I looked at the Norvel website and they have a replacement case with an integrated carb body listed. Mine has the removable carb and the case looks somewhat different. Any ideas on whether this will work on my recent model revlite engine?

On a side note, I'm also looking for a carb for a ST G51 if anybody has one.

Thanks,
Duke
Old 07-09-2004, 01:26 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Question on crankcases for Norvel 061?

Duke --

They should interchange -- your carb parts will have to be swapped into the fixed carb body. However, to be sure or to check if newer crankcases are available, drop Ed or Robin Stevens a note at [email protected] . They have always been quick to respond to any questions I have had.

Ed also reads and posts in this newsgroup under the RCU name Cali-Dream -- so you may get a response here instead.

the "other" Andrew
Old 07-09-2004, 06:21 PM
XJet
Banned

I still can't believe that the crankcase of my 061 survived with only a bit of damage to the exhaust stack (where the muffler was wrenched off by the impact).

Maybe it's because I used a solid aluminum engine mount that I milled up myself. Being *perfectly* true and not at all flexible, I guess this mount ensured that the stress was evenly distributed and not localised on one mounting lug or a corner thereof.

And I went straight into tarmac at full throttle :-)
Old 07-09-2004, 09:11 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Dukester. What do you mean by ruined? Did one or two break off, bent or what? I have a .049 that had a lug on the left side that was bent and on the other side one of the bolt holes blew out. I bent the one lug back and repaired the other with JBweld. I didn't think it would stay together but it has.

Darren
Old 07-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Dukester

Well, it went straight in on the cement slabs surrounding the cattle trough (full grown brangus can really make a muddy mess when drinking if they don't have something to stand on). The bolt holes are knocked out on one side and the other side is bent down and the case is cracked. If it was just the holes, I'd just rig up a clamp mount, but the cracked case has done this one in.

At $20 for a case, I guess I may have to just break down and buy one of the c/l models for $32 and just stash the spare crank, piston, and cylinder for the next major mishap. I'm just too damn cheap for my own good.

Duke
Old 07-09-2004, 10:21 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Duke

Buy the C/L version, keep it intact and swap your R/C carb onto it -- you get an AME R/C for $32. Not a bad deal.

the "other" Andrew
Old 07-10-2004, 01:48 AM
Dukester

Funny, I hadn't noticed they are AME rather than Big Mig, I guess I don't have a choice as the number of ports differs so I guess the liner won't be interchangeable anyway. Oh well, just another one of those things.

Duke
Old 07-10-2004, 05:09 AM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is all interchangable, duke. I have just done what you are contemplating with the cl ame and I don`t regret it one bit. remember, it comes with a new plug, so even if that and the c/c is all you use, you`re nearly even

J.M
Old 07-10-2004, 12:35 PM
cali_dream

I probably wouldn't buy a crankcase if it were me. The cl .061 on closeout for $32 will have a glow plug and the case, which is already worth $25. Then the cylinder/piston set. I have to say that, occasional stories aside, a serious crash like that often deforms more than the crankcase. The cylinder, crankshaft, needle valve, etc. often are problematic. Just like a car that has been rebuilt when seriously wrecked, it will never really be the same if you repair it. I understand part of the fun of modeling is goofing around and trying things to see if they will work. If you are experienced and want to play around, then try rebuilding it. Just keep in mind that anytime the motor runs poorly in the future it will be hard to know if the crash is the reason.

Ed Stevens
NORVEL, Ltd.
www.norvel.com
Old 07-10-2004, 04:48 PM
norvelnut

Tell me about busted carbs! Two crashes, two carbs--bent the spraybar/needle valve assembly, necessitating two new carbs. I wish they'd put a remote needle valve or rear carb on the norvels! Otherwise , they're great engines.[8D]
Old 07-10-2004, 08:09 PM
Dukester

Well I guess I'm going to order the c/l 061 and I want to get another 074 while I'm at it, but I have to get approval from the VP of finance. I'm putting together a littlest stick 150% for an 049 Cox and was thinking about doing one 200% for the 074 with flat wing and ailerons.

Duke