Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Home Made .020 throttle

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Home Made .020 throttle

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 11:05 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Home Made .020 throttle

I was playing around with the lathe and made an exhaust throttle for an .020.

I didn't lap it or anything fancy like that. I just kept opening the inside until it would just barely slide onto the cylinder.

If I was smart I would have left a flange to attach a throttle cable.

I'll let you know how it works.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53484.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	156168  
Old 07-22-2004, 12:49 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Home Made .020 throttle

Hey, now THAT'S what I call a worthwhile lathe project. Good work there Andrew! Just grind down a parting tool and cut a shallow groove in the top of the cyl. and slide on a external retaining ring clip like the original. I think that's the best way so's you have an easy adjustment.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:22 PM
Bipe Flyer

Default RE: Home Made .020 throttle - more like a muffler

I wrapped a piece of piano wire around it and gave it a test run.

The throttle sounds like it is really doing something, but after taching it I found that the top end was 16K and the bottom was 12.5K. Ok, so making an exaust throttle may not be that easy, but making a muffler is a piece of cake. It really runs quiet!

I wonder if being made from a thin piece of aluminum is part of the problem. It probably expands a little as it heats up.

The good news is that my starter works great!

EDIT: Typo
Old 07-22-2004, 01:37 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience with aluminum throttle sleeves has been that they don't slow the engine down enough to suit me. Like you say, the expansion rate of aluminum has to affect the clearance. Can you make one out of mild steel? It probably also needs a honed or lapped fit to really do well.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:48 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

This may be why the Cox OEM ones are steel. The sleeves on the Medallion engines I have are a pretty nice fit but I still think the idle could go lower than it does. Apparently the fit has to be very close and the exhaust ports in the sleeve MUST cut off the cylinder ports entirely so the openings are surprisingly small. I also notice that the cylinders on the original RC versions are lapped or ground and not finished. I suspect this is part of the fitting aspect.

If you can bore the inside a little on the tight side you can then either gring the final size and finish with a Dremel in a tool post holder or make up a little brass or aluminium lap. It may not hurt to make an exterior lap for the cylinder as well and size that first.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:56 PM
Bipe Flyer

The ports get completely closed, but the exhaust escapes under the bottom of the ring where the cyl meets the crankcase. It'll have to be a tight fitting steel sleeve to be able to shut the engine off.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:32 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice try Bipe, It's not somthing I could do.

The ports get completely closed, but the exhaust escapes under the bottom of the ring where the cyl meets the crankcase. It'll have to be a tight fitting steel sleeve to be able to shut the engine off.
It's amazing to me the miniscule amount of open exhaust that's required for a good idle. When I built my DB .049's, essentially the port was closed at idle. Tighter, less expacsive steel seems to be the ticket.

Darren
Old 07-22-2004, 07:58 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember the 'Muffler' that came with those plastic testors c/l planes sold in the '70s? It was a steel band that looked just like yer aluminum throttle cept it didn't have any holes in it. The exaust managed to squirm out between the last fin and the edge of the band which had small serrations in it. the poor zero I had was weak enough without the muffler, but it still flew with it.
Could get all the way up to eye level if I pulled it along.
It was really quiet tho.