Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Some Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 01:39 PM
polish smiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Questions

Hey, I have some questions. I'm german and don't understand what does it mean, if u say a .21 or .61 motor? Is how big it is, how much power it has? .. Where can I see it in ccm? cm² ? :-)

And my other question: I want to build a small plane with a 1.76 ccm engine. What airfoil/profile (or however it is called in english) would be the best? and what wingspan would be the best for the engine?

does anybody nows where i can get god plans for one of those small plains ?

bye bye
Old 07-23-2004, 02:00 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Some Questions

Welcome to RCU PS. It's good to have you aboard.

.61 and .40 and similar all refer to the displacement in cubic inches. there's a conversion factor but basically .60 cu in is the same as 10cc (cubic centimeters). An .049 is 0.8 cc. So your 1.76 cc is probably a 0.10 or commonly called a 10 over here. In normal talk the decimal is dropped and we just call them a 40 or a 61 or a 120 (1.20 cu inches in this case). At home you probably call a 15 a 2.5 since it's known that you're reffering to CC's in your area. Around here on the board there's so much North American and other Imperial use still that commonly folks add cc if they mean metric and nothing if they mean cubic inches. So over your way a 10 would be 1 cc but around here it means 1.8'ish cc. Sometimes you sort of need to read between the lines but if in doubt please ask. They are a helpful lot here.

For your engine (what brand is it?) I would suggest something from 0.7 to 1.2 meters span depending on what kind of flying you will be doing with it. Also the airfoil or profile (both are OK and both are used a lot but airfoil is more common) will depend on what kind of flying you're wanting to do. Tell us more about how you want your model to fly and we can offer better suggestions. If you have not flown much then a trainer type model would be best. If you have some flying time already tell us what types of models you fly now and how comfortable you are with them.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:14 PM
polish smiley

thx, for the fast reply

Well, I already have a trainer model, and now I would like to fly a really fast, but also small model which I can transport easy. I think they are called Pylon Racers.

To be honest, I even don't know what brand it is, I would buy the engine for this plane, because I've seen a 1.76 cc engine on ebay for online a few euros.

If you have suggestions for a really small plain, like 0.7 meters or smaller that would be perfect

bye bye
Old 07-23-2004, 02:25 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To us a 1.76 is a 10, and almost always an OS brand..

Here is a German site with some information about model airfoils, small engines and pylon racing..
[link=http://www.mh-aerotools.de/]mh-aerotools link I am always flaunting..[/link]

and this page is essential-

[link=http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/]Dave's plan page[/link]
Old 07-23-2004, 09:24 PM
Lynn S

polish,

I can think of one small plane that will be very fast with a .061 to .10 cu in.
Here is a link to a online calculator that will convert cubic inches to cubic centimeters, or cc to cu. in.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/

Try a Ace Simple 400. It should be quick and you can carry it easily ready to fly in your car. This is a club racer that some r/c clubs build and race.
You can find it at www.quantummodels.com they will ship to Europe.

Also take a look at the Norvel .061 and .074 engines on that same site.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:19 AM
BMatthews

If you have only flown a basic trainer you may want to save a really fast pylon racer for your third or fouth model. I've seen some fast ones fly and they get small REALLLY fast. You've basically always turning them in order to keep them in sight.

A far better model for your second one would be the famous LS150 either with a 30 inch span for a 1cc engine or perhaps the extended wing version at 36 inches for the Max 10. Go for ailerons and you've got your advanced sport model but it'll still fly slow enough to stay in sight. The LS150 is an easy to build scaled up version of the Littlest Stik that was originally sized at 19 inch span for an 010 or 020 PeeWee. They guys here scaled up the plan some time back for an 049 and it's a hotrod. Not super fast but very sporty and highly aerobatic. Versions for rudder-elevator and aileron-elevator have both appeared and enjoyed wonderful success. If there's an official mascot for the 1/2A forum here at RCU the LS150 would have to be it. Plans are freely available from the guys here via email. But you must have one of the free CAD programs or CAD viewer/printer programs to pint the plans out.

Weight with a 1.8cc or 10 is still very important. If you want the vertical performance with a 1.8cc or smaller then you must have the right small radio gear. Micro or mini servos and small battery packs are a must. The reciever can be a standard but a micro here is an advantage as well.

If you really must have a racer then a slightly blown up version of the Pipsqueek at Dave's site would be delightful and cute.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:57 AM
polish smiley

Oh thanks, for the good suggestions

Try a Ace Simple 400. It should be quick and you can carry it easily ready to fly in your car.
I'm just a boy of 16 years I carry my modells by bike. Well, sometimes my father helps me, and drives me to a r/c plane airport.

Try a Ace Simple 400
I want, to build a plane on my own(no money), sry, but I'll think about that too.

and this page is essential-

Dave's plan page
yeah what a great Page, thx!!!

A far better model for your second one would be the famous LS150 either with a 30 inch span for a 1cc engine or perhaps the extended wing version at 36 inches for the Max 10.
What kind of plane is it ?

If you really must have a racer then a slightly blown up version of the Pipsqueek at Dave's site would be delightful and cute.
Sry, but I can't find a plane called Pipsqueek there, am I so stupid, or where is it?

thx and bye bye
Old 07-24-2004, 07:55 AM
mclintock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LS150 is this groups shortened way of saying 'Littlest Stick at 150%'

If you don't have or don't want to use a CAD program, you can use an office photocopier to enlarge the printed plans from the first of the two links (the Acrobat file) in the description near the small red and white plane near the bottom of Dave's site.

You can see how to transfer the patterns made on the photocopier (or laser printer) to the wood [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77687]here..[/link]

Do a search here on this list for 'LS150' for more infomation on converting it to modern radio gear and other things..

I plan on building an LS150 this fall if I get a chance..

..i didn't see the pipsqueek either..
Old 07-24-2004, 09:25 AM
Lynn S

Polish,
The (LS150)150% size Littlest Stick with a .049 engine is lots of fun and cost very few Euros to build. You can use just about any radio with it, you don't have to use the very small servos. I think it would fly ok with full size servos.There are many threads about it, just do a search. You can fly it in a small area like a soccer field. It has a 30 inch wing in standard form, with an extended 35 inch wing it flys like a trainer.
The original plans are for a Rudder Only plane, the upward tilt (incidence) of the wing has to be removed when elevator is used.

Use Dave's plan page (link above) and print the plans on your printer. It should print on your printer on standard size paper. You can then cut the parts out and enlarge them 150% and use this for your pattern.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:19 AM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Smilin' Jack:

This is my Littlest Stick. Standard size, rudder only. Micro rx, one micro servo, 110mah Nicad battery. and a Cox 02 reedy engine. A real blast. The airplane itself cost less than $15 to build.

Bill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28475.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	156768  
Old 07-25-2004, 02:40 AM
BMatthews

Sorry about the Pipsqueak bit. I'd forgotten that Dave re-arranged his plan page. It's not there anymore.

The LS150 is super easy to build and you can get all the help you need (and perhaps more than you want ) right here.

And here's a link to the search I did using the search feature in the RCU command bar using ls150 as the search string and limited to this forum area.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/searchpro3.asp?phrase=ls150&forumid=70&product=&topicreply=combined&message=both&author=&timeframe=%3E&timefilter=0&language=single&top=300&criteria=AND&minRank=10&sortMethod=d&submitbutton=+OK+]Search for LS150[/link]