Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

TT.07 in SS Corsair?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

TT.07 in SS Corsair?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 07:28 PM
Believer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT.07 in SS Corsair?

Greetings, this is my first post, although I've been reading this forum for quite some time. I really enjoy y'all's expertise and humor.

I just finished covering my SS Corsair and its weight less motor and radio is 8.2 oz. If I go with a micro flite pack will my TT .07 fly it? Projected dry weight is 18-19 oz. What prop would you recommend? Any other advice welcome.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 07-24-2004, 08:53 PM
Lynn S

Default RE: TT.07 in SS Corsair?

Brian, I'm about 45-50 miles north of you, in Bolivar TN. Glad to have you join in the fun and with a Simple Series.
I'm not sure about your TT. I hear that it is a good engine, just a bit heavy. I'm not sure about the prop. I'm sure there is someone here with experience with that engine. I don't think a 6x3 Master Air Screw would be too small for it. I know some have run a 6x3 on a Norvel .074
Old 07-24-2004, 09:53 PM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

The TT manual calls for a 6x3 breakin, 6x4 after that.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:08 PM
Believer

Howdy Lynn,

Not many SMALL flyers in my area, lots of 3D, pylon racing warbirds, and quarter scale.

I've followed your Extra thread, and have tried to keep this Corsair light. However, the short nose might allow me to get away with a heavier engine for balance purposes. I just wondered if the TT .07 had the "guts" to fly this plane. I do have a norvel .061 and an old TT .10 that I can use. I prefer "scale-like" flight for even semi- or fun-scale planes, so I don't want to overpower it.

Thanks for the reply.
Brian
Old 07-24-2004, 10:13 PM
Believer

Would the big cowl limit the efficiency of a 6" prop? Would a 7X3 be better (after break-in)? Is the TT.07 a torquer or a screamer? Sorry about all the questions.

regards,
Brian
Old 07-24-2004, 10:47 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a thunder tiger scooter arf(a gift!) that I shamefully haven't flown yet, and the propellor supplied with the included .07 it is a 7-3.. If that means anything.. All I've dug up on the tt points to the torquer side of things..
I used to live in mississippi.. Is there still that good hobby shop in oxford? They used to stock flyline models and trexler wheels.. i suppose when I think about it, lotsa places used to...
Old 07-24-2004, 11:16 PM
Lynn S

Brian, You may want to break it in with the 6x3 and see what it will do. It may pull a 7x3. Did it come with an instructions sheet? I know you hate to experiment with a scale like model.
From what WMB says it uses a 6x4 after break in. I know the 6x3 MAS loads these little engines pretty good. My .049s and .061s run better with smaller props like the 5x3 cox. It should give scale like performance with a 6x3 my P-51 did with a 6x3 on a AP .061. I think you will be safe with a 6x3 to start with. Watch your CG and don't get it too nose heavy. I usually have to move the CG back some on my planes, maybe because they have been around 20 oz each. I think part of my problems with my first Extra was because I had the thing too nose heavy....but.... thats better than tail heavy.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:05 PM
Believer

Lynn and WMB,

Y'all are correct on break-in props according to the Thunder Tiger instruction sheet. I'll break it in with a 6X3, then experiment with different size props. Just a little worried about that big cowl shrouding a relatively small prop, but the TT .07 IS the recommended engine by ACE, so I'm probably trying to re-invent the wheel.

McLintock,

Yeah, Dr. Fox still operates the Model Source shop in Oxford. I give him as much of my money as possible He's making noises about going out of business, (I think he's 78!), and I keep trying to talk him out of it. It is a wonderful, old time, hole-in-the-wall model shop with just about anything you could wish for. There is a lot of model activity in Northeast Mississippi, particularly Tupelo and Oxford. BTW, Dr. Fox flies the "Sparky"--which is the electric version of your Scooter. He says it's a fine flyer, and is a good change of pace from some of the "hotter" models.

Thanks for the advice,
Brian
Old 07-25-2004, 05:16 PM
johnvb-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Brian,

I've been flying a TT 07 on a Zero Seven (English mag plan - 34" shoulder wing rudder/elevator/throttle) for about 3 years. Don't know the weight of the model, but it would easily be the 18-19 oz that you mention, probably more. Flies slow-medium pace with this engine.

I run a 7*3 Master prop which the TT07 turns at about 12300rpm flat out. According to my prop sizes spreadsheet this should be good for just on a pound of static thrust - plenty for a 19oz model, although not vertical performance. It's a nice little engine but not overly powerful. Throttles well, and very quiet. The only tips I have with these engines is use small diameter fuel tube, the stuff that comes with the engine works well, and watch for lean runs. It's easy to ruin a piston and liner, guess how I know.

regards,
John
Old 07-25-2004, 05:22 PM
Lynn S

Brian, I think many are going for the Norvel .074 over the TT .07 due to is power and low weight. As far as I know Thunder Tiger owns all of the Ace product line and makes the SS planes in China now. Their quality seems as good or better than the old Ace kits. I guess they hope that you will use the .07 they sell. I hope you have good luck with it.
I have a Norvel .074 mounted on a new Stinger 10 and hope have it flying soon. That engine has the power of a .10
I'm sure someone such as Dickeybird or Bipe Flyer can tell you what effect the cowl will have on the 6x3 prop.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:38 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Follow this link to see a Thunder Tiger .07 on a 17.5oz Ugly Stick.

http://donatelli.net/default.asp?pla...t=12a&vid=true

Click on "clips" to see a couple of videos.

As you can see, the Thunder Kitten with a 7X3 handles that much weight with ease.