Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Smooth or Ratchet style throttle?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.
View Poll Results: A poll
Ratchet throttle stick
50.00%
Smooth throttle
50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Smooth or Ratchet style throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 06:39 PM
Mopzilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smooth or Ratchet style throttle?

I got my Hitec Neon in the mail just last week and I found that it has a ratchet style throttle, giving me a total of about 11 throttle positions. I used to have a heli radio with a smooth throttle stick so I am used to that.. I sanded the plastic wheel until it lost the grooves, then sanded it with a real smooth sandpaper to make it absolutely smooth, for an infinite amount of thr positions.

Why the difference, why not smooth throttling for everybody?

What do you prefer?
Old 08-01-2004, 08:30 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Smooth or Ratchet style throttle?

To my wife's chagrin, I have a silly quantity of transmitters..
All but one use a ratchet feeling on the throttle, even my helicopter one..(well I think anyway- it might have a friction clutch thing in the heli one {century 7})
The old white Tower by Kraft one that I have that has no ratchet uses large potentiometers inside the gimbal and the closed gimbal has alot of stiction, so the stick pretty much stays where it was when left alone..

Newer radios for better or worse have smaller diameter potentiometers in the gimbals, and often less friction on the gimbal itself, so I guess they had to add the little ratchet thing so the stick won't flop around. On some models you can just take off the metal thing that rides on the serrated plastic bit in order to get a non-quantized throttle, but the stick may drift around.

I prefer the clicky ones myself, but having only 11 positions does sound a bit coarse.