Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Glow Plugs to suit G-Mark .30 5 Cylinder Radial?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Glow Plugs to suit G-Mark .30 5 Cylinder Radial?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 03:33 AM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow Plugs to suit G-Mark .30 5 Cylinder Radial?

Gents

I have a NIB G-Mark R/C .30 radial which I am going to fire up and run in for use in a possible project.

Can anyone advise:

1. what plugs suit this engine best? It takes normal glow plugs.

2. Also nitro % for the fuel ... the instructions say up to 10 % to 25% nitro.

With 5 cylinders, making the wrong choice of plug could be expensive ...

I know some contributors who frequent this forum have experience with G-Mark .061's, so hopefully I can get some help.

If anyone actually has owned one of these little masterpeices, please let me know what to expect, any tips, starting procedure, things to be careful of, etc.

The engine with its internal gears (friction) is obviously no powerhouse ... a 9 x 4 prop is recommended for starting out. I have a 9 x 6 on hand.

Thanks

fiery
Old 04-22-2006, 07:46 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Glow Plugs to suit G-Mark .30 5 Cylinder Radial?

I used K&B longs on mine. Interesting motor. N o one thought that I could hand start it after feeling the drag of all those gears in that motor. You do not really get a solid sompression cycle like you would in a single cylinder. At any rate I filled the tank and gave it a reasonable prime turned it over a few times hit the switch for the battery hit the prop and it started on the first flip. It has a sound somewhat like a singer sewing machine very mechanical. It is really very smooth and sorry to say it is totally gutless as a motor. It is rated as a 30 and has the power of an OK Cub 09 which ought to tell you that this is not a motor that you want to put on a plane and fly. However I had built this beautiful Davis parasol for it and on it went. I guarantee you that that 9/4 will not generate enough ponies to take it off and only got me a sustained glide to terra firma, such a disappointment. Kept the motor for a few years and then unloaded it to someone who just had to have it for the collection. Glad that there are some people with more money then they need and can let it sit on a shelf. So the point of this is, run it if you must for the thrill of it, it also idles suprisingly well, but will blow a couple of plugs till it gets bedded in. Don't waste your time trying to fly the thing as it simply sounds great going nowhere.
dennis
Old 02-21-2007, 01:53 PM
r4360

hello, does anyone have a copy of the instruction sheet for the g-mark radial? I have the engine, but no instructions.Pat
Old 02-25-2007, 01:46 PM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have instructions, having bought one recently. It might take a little prodding and reminding, but I'll get them photocopied and mailed to you if you like. I work nights, so that makes it hard to go out and take care of business but I'll see what I can do. I have a digital camera here somewhere, maybe I can find it and take a pic and just email them?
Old 02-25-2007, 06:38 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DeviousDave

I work nights, so that makes it hard to go out and take care of business but I'll see what I can do.
Aint that the truth,,at last I'm not the only night worker...imagine that you have to cut into your bed time in order to stay up an fly in the morning!!...Rog
Bummer about that engine I cant imagine it doesnt have enough power to get out of its own way!
Old 03-04-2014, 07:11 PM
SCREWLOOSETC

my problem is getting enough battery to get all those plugs lit.try a 10/6 topflite nylon prop mine likes it.20% nitro. The twin is a different story it turns up pretty good. Glow plugs are an issue though.Keep the electric starter off of it or u will be looking for parts remember its a radial and the bottom cylinders fuel lock if flooded
Tom
Here is what not to do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXINVfYKnFw

Last edited by SCREWLOOSETC; 03-04-2014 at 07:18 PM. Reason: more information
Old 03-09-2014, 05:39 PM
coriolan

Originally Posted by SCREWLOOSETC
my problem is getting enough battery to get all those plugs lit.try a 10/6 topflite nylon prop mine likes it.20% nitro. The twin is a different story it turns up pretty good. Glow plugs are an issue though.Keep the electric starter off of it or u will be looking for parts remember its a radial and the bottom cylinders fuel lock if flooded
Tom
Here is what not to do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXINVfYKnFw
Nice run, what's wrong whit what he did? He cycled the engine by hand before using the starter, a normal practice with full size radials.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:30 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice Vid. Re. the battery hook up.. Was he running of 2V? The way he had it wired..? If one plug goes out more juice goes to the others?
Old 03-10-2014, 06:57 AM
SCREWLOOSETC

Hew is running the starter full speed into the prop nut,These engines are fragile. I got mine because the owner couldnt get it started with loose glow plugs flooded it and broke the bottom 2 rods. I bought the last 2 cyl assemblys cannon had. so there are no more parts. only engine I have ever run a starter on was a wankle .
Tom
Old 03-10-2014, 01:05 PM
coriolan

Now I understand your comment better!