Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

1/2A Diesel Engines?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2A Diesel Engines?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 04:25 AM
efish
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A Diesel Engines?

Thanks guys, that's good advice! .....

..... ever since I cut myself hand flipping a 9 inch APC prop thinking that it was only the little props that bite, I now de burr and balance all my props before use!
Old 07-27-2006, 06:15 PM
2fast4u

Just a funny story about diesels........ A guy in our club purchased a .003 diesel from someone. It was about as big as your thumb nail. No one could get it to start, so he waited for Eric Cluton to show up at SMALL one year. He showed Eric the engine and told him how frustrated he was that it would not run. Eric offered to get it going for him. He mounted the engine, fueled it, primed it, flipped the prop 3 times and broke the rod in it. He took it off the stand and handed it back to the guy saying, "I think it's broken something inside". And that was it. I laughed so hard I almost wet myself. He spent a LOT of money on that little jewel and Dr Diesel broke it for him.

I have some AME .049 & AME .061 engines laying around. Are they ok to convert? Which set up is best for them?
Old 07-27-2006, 06:43 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

2fast,

And here I am, advocating whacking diesels with an electric starter.[X(] In fairness, an .003 is a dang small engine and flipping even by hand, such small, itty, bitty parts just don't have a chance. Any wonder why some are reluctant to run them? I'm inclined to think that an appropriately sized spring starter would make sense.

Do get an RJL head and some fuel with LOTS of ether and follow the protocol I've outlined. You'll be a believer, I think. Just don't forget to break-in and adjust it on glow first and then find the CR ratio with no fuel in the tank. Hopefully you can reverse the trend that I've heard about for your famous fly-in,,, the one where 90% of aircraft were electric.

As a lifelong gearhead I find the implications of that development profoundly disturbing. [] But, then again, I've been disturbed for a long time so it's hard to tell.

BTW, I'm in the process of converting one of my throttled TD .010s to diesel. And yes, the great advantage here is that this engine comes with a spring starter that works extremely well. The .020 is next.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:55 AM
2fast4u

Knowing what little I do about diesel engines in vehicles like 3/4 & 1 ton trucks, they use a heated "GLOW PLUG OR COIL" to get the process started. Once started, they run without much power untill they warm up. Would it not make sence to design some sort of glow plug into these small engines to promote easier starting? Hmmmm there's an idea.....
Old 07-29-2006, 07:56 PM
FrancisPerson

Efish,

"THE" 1/2A Diesel you want is a MP-JET .061. I own one and it is a jewel. A bit heavy at 3.3oz but loaded with power. 6x3 cox grey at 18,000 an apc 7x3 at 15,000. The con rod looks like an oak tree! Ball bearing with twin needle carb. Out of production but likley to be found on auction.

Francis
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90698.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	498776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60985.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	498777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58702.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	498778  
Old 07-29-2006, 08:23 PM
skaliwag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice Biplane ... What is it?
Old 07-29-2006, 08:33 PM
AndyW

ORIGINAL: 2fast4u

Knowing what little I do about diesel engines in vehicles like 3/4 & 1 ton trucks, they use a heated "GLOW PLUG OR COIL" to get the process started. Once started, they run without much power until they warm up. Would it not make since to design some sort of glow plug into these small engines to promote easier starting? Hmmmm there's an idea.....
2fast,

Good idea,

Much discussion on the diesel forum about just such a notion last year prompted by Ringwing and indulged in by myself. The idea was to use some sort of hot element; not a glow plug in the traditional sense with an element that would glow but just one that would get hot from combustion and stay hot and act as an ignition promoter. The purpose? To try and eliminate the need for ether, the ingredient that provides a major cetane boost allowing the engine to start and run on compression alone. Why eliminate the ether? Issues of availability and cost.

Many glow engines will run on diesel fuel but with decreased performance. The problem is finding the optimum compression setting. With a glow motor, this isn't possible. Some means still is required to adjust the compression.

I made such a device for the Norvel .15. This has a contrapiston containing a glow plug. Impossible but true. However, before I've had a chance to try it, I discovered there may be no need. For more, go here, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4561055/tm.htm
Old 07-29-2006, 08:39 PM
AndyW

ORIGINAL: FrancisPerson

Efish,

"THE" 1/2A Diesel you want is a MP-JET .061. I own one and it is a jewel. A bit heavy at 3.3oz but loaded with power. 6x3 cox grey at 18,000 an apc 7x3 at 15,000. The con rod looks like an oak tree! Ball bearing with twin needle carb. Out of production but likely to be found on auction.

Francis
I agree with Francis. And if you think the rod is strong, wait till you see the crank, it looks like something out of an OS .10

The MP Jets, while using steel and iron, has a very modern configuration with a sophisticated and effective, two needle throttle and, of all things, a proper muffler.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:14 AM
AndyW

Not 1/2A but still a small engine on diesel, go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOS9eVC0fjo for a unique diesel experiement.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:30 AM
FrancisPerson

Its called "Biplane" by designs that fly
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94821.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	499069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31720.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	499070  
Old 07-31-2006, 02:58 AM
efish

Hi Francis, thanks for the tip on the MP Jet; a little heavy as you say, but sounds about right for some easy flying. Will see if I can find one around locally.

Great looking plane!