Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Will a mini ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 11:01 PM
treedog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a mini ultra?

Will a mini ultra be a good candidate for a norvel or a hornet 09 and will any bracing be needed for the eflite?i like the looks of it and i'm kinda new but need some tecnical advice on the bashing to be done for it to fly well ty
Old 08-02-2006, 12:07 AM
foresterxt
My Feedback: (35)

Default RE: Will a mini ultra?

That's funny you should ask, I'm in the process of converting a little Mini Ultra stick to nitro as we speak. I believe a few other members have also done the same. Someone has put in a .15 and it flew crazy fast. I've got an OS .10 I'm going to be mounting in mine. However I've also got an AP hornet 09 that is well broke in that might not be too bad as well. I don't have a norvel, but from what everyone says, they're the most powerful for their size. I've been really happy with my AP .09 (maybe the only one out there that is ). It took a little while to break in, but mine is super reliable and extremely user friendly. The down side is that it isn't the most powerful. I just tached mine at 13000rpm with an MA 8x3. It'll idle at 3200rpm all day long. I think you would be fine using the hornet. As far as bashing goes, you don't really have to do any. Just bolt up and engine to one of the included firewalls and epoxy in some angle stock on the backside for added strength. Just an fyi, I test fitted a 4oz sullivan slant tank and it fit perfectly so this thing could probably fly for a half an hour on a single tank. By the way, the mini ultra stick is an amazing little arf as far as build quality goes. Well worth the $89.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 08-02-2006, 07:52 AM
treedog

Ty Dave for the timely reply. I noticed in ur reply a reference to 2 firewalls so i opened the box up and was i surprised! This is a tough and well built little kit and i'm getting excited now to get it changed over to a cox or Ap .09. I was surprised also at how tough the wing is, and the body appears to be all ply [lite weight]. S o i think i'll start slow and put the smallest possible nitro motor i can find on it and move up a little at a time thx again
John Reece
Old 08-02-2006, 11:03 AM
psullivan

As for the quality of build, its just fine for a nitro. Very well re-enforced plane, I just used one of the electri firewalls and traced it onto a peice of 3/32 ply, I cut 2 peices and cross-grain glued them together, very strong.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:43 PM
treedog

ty for the plywood idea psullivan i'll order some spare balsa