Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Jumpy servos?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 07:50 PM
psullivan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jumpy servos?

Hey guys I recently got back from my "vacation" house thats out in the country with a big r/c airstrip out in the back. I got my Mini Ultra Stick balanced with the .15 on the nose with 1oz on the tail and belive me I didnt overpower it in the least.
Anyway I did a range check (30 yds out w/ no antenna) and it was alright (key:with no engine running) . Started it up and flew out about 50 yds and it freaked out. No control at all. It went in in some real fluffy hay grass so no problem. I think with the engine running it mabye vibrated the receiver too much? I'm using an old(er) JR full size, and its just taped to the fuse. My dad also said that maybe the small servos (HS-55 and E-flight minis) arn't insulated as well as full size and the RX didnt like it. anyway I got a new(er) RX and as soon as batt charged Im ging to see if it helps.

Just wondering if I had to buy some new mini RX that was ment to filter out the noise or somthing.

Thanks a ton
Justin

Old 08-16-2006, 08:11 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Jumpy servos?

Your servos are probably not the problem. One of the most common culprits of control loss with the engine running is a loose or cracked crystal. If either occurs, the you will have a total loss of control. Another problematic area is the switch and connectors. If one vibrates loose or your switch fails then .....

Did you have control after the crash, i.e., was it range related or was your RX dead? If it is range related, then I would recommend dumping the RX or sending it in for repair. If you regain control after seating the plugs and crystal, then range check with the engine running.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:12 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Starting with the premise that it could be due to vibration:

Was the rx wrapped in foam (1/2" thick all the way around) or was the case actually touching the airframe?
Were the servos mounted on rubber grommets or directly to wood?
Is the prop fully balanced?
Is the engine solidly bolted to the mount?

Take care of those things and see if it makes a difference. Even if the problem was with the old rx, you still want to do the things in the list.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:32 PM
psullivan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys it seems to be the RX, I just put a slimline that my dad had in his Stearman PT-17
and it seems to have worked. Hopefuly Ill get to the field tomorow and try it out.

Justin