Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Sun Fli IV almost done

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Sun Fli IV almost done

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 11:51 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sun Fli IV almost done

Well, it came out a bit heavy, which is what I asked for by building the wing the same as the full size version. As it appears in the pics it is right at 10.25ozs. I still need to add the radio gear, but I have a new Berg Microstamp (4g) and Futaba S3108s (7.6g), so only the battery will add substantial weight. I also need to dope/fuelproof the fuselage which will add a bit more. It has gear blocks in the wing, but I may leave the gear off. Maybe if I can ever get an .074 I'll go full house with steerable nosegear. Without the gear I think I can get it ready to fly around 13.5ozs give or take. With 248.5 sq" wing area that's around a 7.8oz wing loading. Not too bad considering I didn't really modify the construction from the .60 size original. All I did was leave the fin and stab unsheeted. Fewer ribs and less sheeting would probably drop an ounce from the wing. Thinner fuselage sides and top another ounce, maybe. At 36" it would be hard to get it under 11ozs. I drew up Cad plans (PM me) so it could be scaled down to 34" or so. And with those lightening mods to the structure it could be a real bullet with an .049.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77281.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	510145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38909.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	510146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di98961.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	510147  
Old 08-20-2006, 06:16 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sun Fli IV almost done

Don't be disappointed with the weight! Just stick a bigger engine on there if it doesn't have the vertical you want. Fly it first, though. At that weight, it will fly very nicely and may perform just the way you want!
Old 08-20-2006, 07:20 PM
rainedave

Thanks, ptulmer. It really is just right for a Norvel. Dagnabbit! Just I get back into the hobby and start building 1/2A stuff the supply dries up. Well, at $40 the Wasp isn't a huge investment. I basically just need throttle.

But, I think you're right about the weight being ok. Any wing loading under 8ozs is actually within FF, or at least R/C Assist territory. SAM rules state that 1/2A Texacos must have a minimum wing loading of 8ozs., so there.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:20 PM
flyinrog

Rainedav, were really not that strict about the rules except 1..in the reedy race..its gotta be a reed .049..the rest of the funfly which we havent gotten a lot of in..landing closest to..that kinda stuff your plane will be fine for..the reedie race was to keep things equal as best as we could...no teedee's and no killer bee's...product engines and golden bees and blackwidows are ok....Rog
Old 08-21-2006, 06:36 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

That looks great!!! I don't think thats weight is bad at all. I had a Sig Hummer some years ago with 250mA pack and full size receiver and EK servos. Flew great as 3 channel on Black Widow with throttle. Even had the landing gear on it. I think your little Sun Fli is cute. A great addition to the 1/2A scene. Look forward to see it next month. You going to bring your little Miss Martha?

Bob Harris
Old 08-21-2006, 08:20 AM
rainedave

Thanks, Bob! I plan to bring the Miss Martha, Bee-Tween, Sun Fli, Jr. Falcon and maybe something else if I get it finished.

rog, I plan to keep the engine in the pic on it for the race. I was thinking that if it turns out to be a decent flyer I'll probably want to have throttle for sport flying in the future. At least I'm hoping it won't be a one-time plane.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:21 PM
rainedave

You know, I wish I had the ability to listen to people who have more experience than me with 1/2A stuff. I've been told to lengthen the nose when building replicas. So, don't laugh too hard at the pic. I can very easily modify the cheeks to extend an inch further. That's a super simple mod to do. Although, I sort of like the way it looks with the reedy jutting out like that. It gives it some attitude. The result is that I didn't have to add any nose weight and could still go with a smaller, lighter battery pack (a standard Futaba 500mah pack balanced it without the extension box, so it wasn't hideously off). AUW is <14.25ozs. I also finished the cad redraw and added text.

Name:	Zx72135.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	511113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91845.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	511114  
Old 08-21-2006, 09:39 PM
turbo.gst
My Feedback: (8)

I bet that thing will fly great at that weight. I always thought 17 oz's flew great for 1/2a ships. Thats 20% less weight and a little more area than most. I used 275 sq's for my .10 powered rigs. It looks really good!

turbo
Old 08-21-2006, 09:55 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

I know the feeling. I have a Norvel .061 with only one glow plug. The LHS is still waiting, like everyone else for extras. Don't know if I will get a 1/2 A model built. Might have to go electric. And I just wrote off my Superstar EP in a tree at my in-laws place this past week.

ORIGINAL: rainedav

Thanks, ptulmer. It really is just right for a Norvel. Dagnabbit! Just I get back into the hobby and start building 1/2A stuff the supply dries up. Well, at $40 the Wasp isn't a huge investment. I basically just need throttle.

But, I think you're right about the weight being ok. Any wing loading under 8ozs is actually within FF, or at least R/C Assist territory. SAM rules state that 1/2A Texacos must have a minimum wing loading of 8ozs., so there.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:55 PM
rainedave

Thanks, Turbo! Yeah, I looked at the GLH and Pacer plans for a comparison and they suggest a weight of 20 to 22ozs with a TD. Keep in mind that I'm no where near the leaugue of pilots like combatpig, et al., and probably never will be. So, it will still be more than enough excitement.

I can't wait to fly the thing. I have to restrain from trying to fly it at the softball field I've been using for my electrics. It's going to need a fair amount of room even with the reedy.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:37 AM
brocja01

Raindev,

You going to make those plans available. I would love to build that. It is a great looking little plane.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:11 AM
rainedave

brocja01, just PM me your email addy. The cad is done and ready to share.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:24 AM
exocet-RCU

This looks like a really neat plane. I will PM you, Raineday, for the plans. It sort of reminds me of a cross between a Junior Falcon and an old Bridi Kaos. I like the looks. I have an older Cox Tee Dee .09 with carb throttle that would probably pull it along pretty well. I haven't done 1/2A for probably 20 years. Been doing bigger stuff. This should be really fun.

Tim
Old 08-22-2006, 11:35 AM
rainedave

Tim, the Sun Fli IV was Joe Bridi's pattern design that preceded the Kaos. So, in a way, the Kaos is kind of like a Sun Fli V. That's why it looks so much like a Kaos! The biggest visual difference is that the Kaos has a forward tapered TE while the SF's is straight. Also, the fin/rudder appear to have been moved back a bit further on the Kaos.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:39 AM
rainedave

I re-drew the nose and moved the firewall forward about 3/4" or so. Now it should balance fine built from the plans.

Name:	Bz78620.gif
Views:	15
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	511389