Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.
View Poll Results: A poll
Forward swept w/canard but elevon controlled
56.67%
Flying wing swept back w/fuselage
26.67%
Biplane swept back and staggered
0%
More conventional Patrick, you're going off the deep end!
16.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Chickensheet!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 09:30 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chickensheet!

A name unwittingly passed to me by Flyswatter. I guess a short explanation is required. Believe it or not, I've got a strange desire to be a chicken farmer when I grow up. Just move out in the country and have a bunch of chickens. The only problem with this idea is the eggs. I could live without those. Gotta wash'em and all kind of crap. Well, I emailed FS telling him I was making my current DNU up to look like a chicken. Name choices were Robot Chicken, Chickenhead and something else. Of course, he returns the email with a new suggestion. Chickensh**. When I read that, visions of Raymond and his "Sheetface" pop into my head. (guess you were returning the favor, huh Raymond) I should state that at least when he pops into MY head, he's fully clothed.[X(] Now, onto the airplane:

There's always something thundering around in my head. Some argue it's the rocks, but the truth of the matter is that anything in there moving around will cause echos. I've been thinking about replacing the Killer Buzz as my reedie racer. It makes on HECK of an unlimited, but is doomed to a minimum weight of 9oz. One problem is I used covering as a structural element. That limited the covering choices to something strong and stretch resistant.

So when this name came along, I just knew that I had to at least spend an hour or two drawing it up for posterity. But what should it look like? A chicken? Yikes! Not sure how to draw an overweight bird that can barely fly! I guess I could get lessons from Flyswatter... Well, this time the echo was caused by three things. Help me choose!
Old 08-24-2006, 10:20 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Chickensheet!

Chicken Poo head was my first input thought. But I got a hankerin for a Canardarin. Never mind the old peeps and show me what ya got. You know I am good for a true build.

You comin up on the last week of the 9 month?[sm=pirate.gif]
Old 08-24-2006, 10:21 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Dude, If you build something similar to the swept flying wing pusher that I finished not long ago, but put a reedie up front, the whole plane could be built to weigh less, because of less fuselage needed to make room for forward mounted gear [to counter balance the bassackwards engine]. I think the one I just did weighed in the high 9s or low 10s? If you build something like that, don't forget the winglets, they really help tracking. Every swept elevon plane I've ever flown has [after some refinements] been a joy to fly. The last one turned out to fly as smooth as you like.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:41 PM
ptulmer

Vic, I'll be there!

CP, In my mind (no jokes, please) I see some CG issues with this planform. Sweeping the wings back and poking the engine out the front means it will be nose-heavy as h*ll. Getting some weight out back will take a little creativity. Unless you've got something worked out already?
Old 08-24-2006, 10:43 PM
vicman

Butt Kicken CYA Bro[sm=48_48.gif][sm=shades_smile.gif]. He likes me better, na na na na naaaaa[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 08-24-2006, 11:19 PM
combatpigg

PT, the engine would probably have to sit on the leading edge. To mock it up, I think you could build the wing, then tape the wing to a stick [to act as a holding fixture for your onboard equipment and central fin]. then just move stuff around till it balances. The MAC formula / diagram provided by DB worked very well, I balanced mine at 25% of MAC.

A reedie could be stuck on the hind end and you could use standard props, just don't hold the running engine on the ground for very long or it will overheat. The only question would be how the engine responds to having the tank in front. Didn't Cox marketed pusher RTFs with remote tanks? If so, I guess that's no guarantee that they were successful . I also don't know if the engine has the same rpm potential running backwards.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:08 AM
BANJOAIRPLANE

I know nothing about building but I voted for forward swept wings.Why? I see a small bantam hen with her wings stretched out in front of her to protect her young!
Old 08-25-2006, 09:41 AM
ptulmer

Well, here's a look at a FS/C. This thing has some real problems with balancing at the moment!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87564.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	512925  
Old 08-25-2006, 09:50 AM
ptulmer

Here's a flying wing idea from the past. It's based on a .40 size horizontal stab. This is probably much closer to what Combatpigg was saying than my original attempt.

Name:	Ki19076.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	512932  
Old 08-25-2006, 10:00 AM
ptulmer

Last, but not least. The Biplane!

Name:	Yw66450.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	512936  
Old 08-25-2006, 10:01 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chickenface..chicken farm?..egg washin?..I can see that lastin about a season..then it'll be " hey FS lets put in a asphalt runway " and then a Telemaster so you can drop eggs (that way you dont have to washem) on the local country roads....My mother was a 2nd place winner twice here in NC at the NC State chicken cooking contest..I pretended for close to 3 decades to like her contest chicken, it was called Greater Bankok Chicken...one time at her house for dinner, she was saying how I loved that recipe ..well I had minutes before excused myself,, when I got back to the table, I was met with several blank stares..seems in my absence my then wife had let it be known that I didnt like chicken in ANY form...[X(]....Rog

I will rarely partake of some KFC and the occasional chicken soft taco frrom the Bell ,but thats about it...

oh yeah, there was some bird plane I think from hobby lobby a couple of years ago and there was a contest to build the coolest one, cant remember the name but it was a lecky..
Old 08-25-2006, 11:11 AM
flyswatter

pt:

I think you missed my point. I did not mean for the name to be complimentary - just a little off-color humor. You mustn't go running off and designing planes with that name or you will start receiving all kinds of comments from the forum's less desireable members (ie, Vic).[sm=shades_smile.gif] Sorry Vic, I will buy you a "soda" the next time I see you.

Back to your problem pt. If you are set on designing another plane, then how about sliming the chord/span of the forward swept wing design and build a swept forward biplane, or better yet, how about a X-wing fighter design. Then, the long nose canard will have something to balance against. I can see it now - PT's CS X-Wing Fighter Design. No one would want to race or do combat against a plane with that name!

A chicken farmer? What is that about? You scare me sometime - no, make that often!
Old 08-25-2006, 12:00 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

I feel ya Pt. I long to have a flock of pigeons myself. I have all sort of cool breeds as a teen.

LAter,
Tim
Old 08-25-2006, 12:36 PM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Rog, that was the "Funky Chicken", (ala Rufus Thomas....)
Some of the creations were pretty cool!
Dave
Old 08-25-2006, 01:38 PM
dieFluggeister

Makes me think of a wing with a swept forward inner panel and a swept back outer panel. Add 4-5 winglets at the tip.

The tail is an inverted V fan tail, and the engine is mounted inverted at the nose with an open beak "cowl" complete with slobbering castor oil and big wild googly eyes! Oh yeah man, put the fear in farmdogs everywhere!

Name:	Ro41971.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	513029  
Old 08-25-2006, 03:22 PM
ptulmer

Gentlemen, we are in the presence of genius.

That would be easier to implement with a beam mount engine and profile fuse. Darn you! I needed a reedie racer, now I'm stealing your ideas for TD's and the like![sm=cry_smile.gif]

Oh yeah, Tim. You might enjoy this link: http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com
Old 08-25-2006, 04:06 PM
Terbough Bob

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

Here's a flying wing idea from the past. It's based on a .40 size horizontal stab. This is probably much closer to what Combatpigg was saying than my original attempt.
That's how I used to recycle my mauled .40 sized planes- the tail is always intact, so I glued a couple blocks to the front of the horizontal stabilizer with a 1/16" ply firewall, slapped on a Black Widow, and bolted a bell crank to the top, and flew it as a UC. They always flew great, were fast, and were very manuverable.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:19 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Once again youse guys (particularly Patrick of course) have provided me with pains in my sides -

from laughing!!!

Chickensheet! Haaaaaw! I love it!

But talking about chickens reminds me of "Tumblers". Ya see, I guy I know who flies CL is the third generation of pigeon racers. He also has some Tumblers which are birds with a genetic defect that causes them to have multiple, short brain seizures. In flight they actually tumble for a second or so, then resume flapping like nothing happened.

You wanna know why I thought of Tumblers when I read about Patrick's Chickensheet, and his CG problems? Yes, the flight of a tumbler came to mind. Sorry PT.

Hey, put the CG where ever you durn well please. these guys with their formulas don't always know best. Heck, I'm still trying to find the third aileron in my Sheetface formula. Humbug.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:08 AM
D Bronk

DFs` design looks Like a "Spooked Goose".I like it though..Not sure, if you know this ,or not PT.. CHICKENS ,,OF ANY KIND,, ARE NOT,,,,,, GOOD FLYERS... You should read up on them ,a bit..Do some research ,,if your going to build a Scale Chicken..FYI,,,They do Taxi around, not to bad though..
Old 08-27-2006, 11:19 AM
small_rcer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Canard too small, Main too big??
Old 08-27-2006, 11:30 AM
ptulmer

ORIGINAL: small_rcer

Canard too small, Main too big??
That would go a very long way towards solving the CG issue!
Old 08-27-2006, 12:02 PM
combatpigg

That's what I found to be true, the canard is supposed to be large enough to share the responsibility with the main wing for lift. For a 1/2A design, especially a belly lander, the canard is in a vulnerable place, prone to breakage and jamming the servo. There are specific applications where canards excell, but I don't think it is with little racers. On a real compact design in our size range, I suspect you would need to build a tandem wing lookin' thing for the plane to fly like a canard should, like a 18x3 forward plane on a 1/8" carbon axle. The rearward plane could be 24x4. This would give enough meat to start with, but bring your building equipment out to the field and be ready for lots of cut and try. The working CG ends up being somewhere between the 2 wings, as long as the forward wing is doing it's share of the lifting. The only successful 1/2A designs that I've ever seen looked kind of dorky to me.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:24 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

We fly at a cow farm and after the stink from the chicken manure the farmer has been spreading this year I would never want to be a chicken farmer!

This could be a very cool project. We had a CL fly-in at our field today and a guy had a plane that looks like a bald eagle - pretty cool.

The chicken that won the Funky Chicken contest was flown at our SMALL fly-in last year. Here are a few pics.

Name:	Db85572.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	514225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71366.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	514226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98180.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	514227  
Old 08-28-2006, 09:42 PM
vicman

Call me a tumbler cuz I do
Old 08-29-2006, 07:20 AM
ptulmer

CP, you must have missed the "elevon controlled" part. I've tried a few canards in the past and had no luck using them for a control surface. Not only are they susceptible to breakage, they aren't effective either. But being used as just another flying surface and attached firmly to the fuselage, it should make a nice little racer and hold up well. I can't see where it would be much different from our current SWR's.

Darn Bipe, that one is unbelievable!

Vic, you're a tumbler after drinking from one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.